Cleaning of Van Water tanks

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 15:18
ThreadID: 97580 Views:2018 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
My Van is 2 years old and the tank water is just fine no problem's. When I store the van at the moment we,re doing a trip about 6 / 8 weeks apart I make sure the tanks a full I then drain and refill prior to the trip.
My question is do you put a cleaning solution through the tank as a matter of annual or periodic maintenance OR only when your water gets a taste.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: member - mazcan - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 16:45

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 16:45
hi new boy
i have owned three vans and now a camper trailer
i have always only flushed out the tank after returning home then fill them right full and store the van then before next trip just drain and refill again before leaving
i can honestly say i have never encountered an aelge problem in 32 years doing it this wayand nver used any chemicals in my vans tanks
the only time aelge will grow is if the tank is not full and the tank is exposed to sunlight
i did encounter a very bad fungus growth in my ex girl friends van that she bought s/hand and it had have a tank of water and was green with float i replaced all the original pvc clear hoses with proper taste and odourless free water hoseand i removed the tank and fushed it then put chlorine in it and let it soak for a coupler days and flushed it again
no more problems
barry
AnswerID: 493401

Reply By: Gronk - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 21:03

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 21:03
My tank never gets completely drained, and a lot of the time it doesn't get completely full either..

If its fairly empty when I get home from camping ....thats how it stays until I go again....and depending on how long I'm going for....depends on whether I fill it right up...

People on rural properties don't do anything to their tanks !!!!
AnswerID: 493426

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 00:34

Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 00:34
I certainly support that Gronk. In fact the water in the dark enclosed area of the caravan tanks is not affected by sunlight which can come in through gaps in household water tanks, and is safe from the addition of other substances which can wash or fall into the tank. What water is in the caravan tanks stays in the caravan tanks for years between big trips.

New Boy - it is probably better to leave the caravan tanks full than empty between trips, but we don't bother.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 769027

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 14:39

Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 14:39
hi gronk
poeple on rural properties dont do anything to there tank !!!
sorry gronk wrong asumption
most of the farmers in the wa. farming area 13-14 inch rainfall
where i lived for 27yrs certainly cleaned there tanks regularly and still do
mainly to get rid of dust off shed roof collection all sorts of bugs / leaves etc spiders etc insects grasshoppers that got washed from the gutters into the tanks due to many and varied weather events
lost count of the number of times that i climbed in with kneeboots and a yard broom and shovel and bucket to scrub and flush out a tank
cheers
FollowupID: 769061

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 14:47

Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 14:47
Yes Mazcan - like every twenty or thirty years. When the tank is almost empty and you know it is about to rain, but not in a drought year because you need that very last drop - dirty or not. I have done a major clean up in a tank on what was at the time a fairly recently purchased property and the sediment, dead swallows etc was probably accumulated from the previous fifty years. On that occasion we were totally out of water and had to get some carted in, so did the clean up just before the truck arrived. Not a lot of fun wading around in the mud and climbing the sharp rungs of the tall ladder with bare feet carrying a bucket of mud - which often ended up with some spilt over my head :(

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 769062

Sponsored Links