Suspension on camper.

Does anyone know if putting airbags u der a camper with 7leaf rebound springs carrying 1.4t assist with the ride quality of the camper
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Friday, Aug 24, 2012 at 22:29

Friday, Aug 24, 2012 at 22:29
All depends on the length of the spring leaves.
If the leaves are short sharp highly curved springs as on the vast majority of trailers then they don't have any of what could be called "ride quality".

If the springs are longer and more compliant in their action then the ride quality will be better and the addition of the airbags will give some load carrying ability combined with a higher ride.
The spring initially will give a softer/compliancy to the suspension but as the bag compresses the "rate" of the suspension action changes and becomes harder where a spring retains its spring rate. So it becomes a combination of the two mediums.
Ideally longer springs, still with the ability to retain the desired ride height and also with shock absorbers to dampen spring action will give the best results.

Adding longer shackled springs,if applicable is fairly easy and gives the largest degree of ride improvement.
You may be better to upgrade the springs/with shockers and forget the airbags.

There is an immense difference to ride by adding shocks. Some will say you don't need them but most vehicles have them for the same reasons a trailer benefits from their use.
AnswerID: 493546

Follow Up By: capnbazza - Saturday, Aug 25, 2012 at 16:02

Saturday, Aug 25, 2012 at 16:02
Thanks Ross, I questioned thew springs with the manufacturer and i was told shocks could make the ride worse. The trailer is equiped with 7 leaf, long springs. As someone else mentioned, let some air out of the tyres, that is probably even a cheaper way.
FollowupID: 769179

Reply By: member - mazcan - Friday, Aug 24, 2012 at 22:42

Friday, Aug 24, 2012 at 22:42
hi capnbazza
just be carefull if you add shock abs to a trailer just be sure that the chassis frame of the trailer is strong enough to take the constant pounding that the shocks will exert onto that area or you might find cracks in the chassis will appear and /or the chassis might break
i would suggest welding on additional suport plates or gussetsand the same may happen with the addition of airbags
just my thoughts on it
AnswerID: 493548

Follow Up By: capnbazza - Saturday, Aug 25, 2012 at 16:03

Saturday, Aug 25, 2012 at 16:03
Thanks for that, as mentioned by another member, cheaper and better just to let some air out of the tyres, now to find a good comfortable air pressure in my 17" Adventurer tyres.

Cheers

Capnbazza
FollowupID: 769180

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Aug 24, 2012 at 22:51

Friday, Aug 24, 2012 at 22:51
No. Airbags will simply make it ride harder.
Simple way to soften the ride on tracks is to let some air out of the tyres.
AnswerID: 493551

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Saturday, Aug 25, 2012 at 06:37

Saturday, Aug 25, 2012 at 06:37
Does the camper really require 7 leaves? i just changed to 5 leaf from 7 leaf at 750kg per spring on my off road trailer. ride is smoother compared to 1100kg per spring previously! Michael

Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 493564

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Aug 25, 2012 at 10:02

Saturday, Aug 25, 2012 at 10:02
At last someone else has realised that most camper trailers are oversprung.
We have changed springs on a lot of campers & gretaly enhanced the ride, believe it or not some campers have 9 leaf spring packs.
One very well known brand of hard floor camper that we owned destroyed nearly everything we owned on one Outback trip, even cans of food burst!

FollowupID: 769154

Follow Up By: Ross M - Saturday, Aug 25, 2012 at 11:17

Saturday, Aug 25, 2012 at 11:17
I agree with what you said Shaker, I have seen a camper, beginning with J and ending in O, with 9 highly curved and relatively short leaves on an independent swing arm to allegedly provide independent suspension.

Broke the axle off the swing arm.

The words independent suspension, 9 leaves, swing arm and highly curved, should not appear in the same sentence.

What were they thinking when they built it, I wonder.
FollowupID: 769158

Follow Up By: capnbazza - Saturday, Aug 25, 2012 at 16:08

Saturday, Aug 25, 2012 at 16:08
I was going to ask for 9 leaf set up but then wondered if the bags or shockies would do the same thing only better. Looks like I will probably settle for the cheapest option and let some air out and see how it travels. Thanks for your input. Certainly helps when one gets info back from those who have some idea.

Cheers

Capnbaaz
FollowupID: 769181

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Saturday, Aug 25, 2012 at 21:58

Saturday, Aug 25, 2012 at 21:58
You could possibly get a trailer or caravan mob to remove a leaf or two!! Michael

Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 769199

Sponsored Links