Trailer wiring troubles

Hi, I am having troubles with the wiring on a 6x4 trailer.I pulled everything off to use trailer as an extra feeder for some weaner cattle.Before doing so I wrote down where each coloured wire fitted but when I replaced them they would not work as before.The brake light and park light flash on the left side when I put the left indicator on instead of the bottom single element globe. I hope someone wiith wiring knowlegde can help me out as I do not know enough about auto electrics.
The wiring on the trailer is as follows.

Left side Top Globe Right side top Globe
0 Red O Brown O Red O Brown
Bottom indicator Globe Bottom Indicator Globe
O Yellow O Green
Then White to earth Then another white earth
Also 2 yellows and a white Spare
which were twisted together to
make 1 connection.

If anybody has any suggestions I would be grateful as I am in a remote area at present. Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Saturday, Aug 25, 2012 at 16:09

Saturday, Aug 25, 2012 at 16:09
Hi there Drifters,

Here is the wiring code for all trailers and caravans/

Trailer Plug Wiring Code

1 Left Turn Signal Yellow

2 Reverse Lights Black

3 Earth Return White

4 Right Turn Signal Green

5 Electric Brake Wire Blue

6 Stop Lights Red

7 Tail Lights Brown

Determine what wire is what by using a small test light or a multi tester
then wire into the plug accordingly.

These numbers are the same whether the plug or socket. Plugs and sockets are numbered correspondingly.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 493596

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Saturday, Aug 25, 2012 at 16:13

Saturday, Aug 25, 2012 at 16:13
Please ignore the colour coding on my list as yours seems to be different altogether. Once you have worked out what each wire does then wire it into the plug according to the nubered location I have listed above.

Cheers, Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 769184

Follow Up By: IronMan - Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 08:49

Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 08:49
A cheats way to remember the colours for a basic trailer:

Red is the universal colour that means stop.
Left is the yeLLow wire.
Right is the gReen wire.
Earth return (ground, if you like) is the opposite colour to 240v house wiring, therefore is White.
Leaving Brown for parking/clearance lights.

I use 7 pin flat connectors which have the functions of the pins printed on the case, so I don't have to remember what pin does what job. Yes, I am a cheat.
FollowupID: 769216

Follow Up By: Member - The Drifters - Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 19:57

Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 19:57
Hi Bruce, Thanks for that. The wiring code you discribed is the same as mine. I cannot get the yellow wire on the left turn signal to work. There are 2 yellow wires on the right side that are not connected but when I join them up still no action so it looks like I will have to check the wiring harness from the front connection to the lights at the back. The right blinker works OK it's just the left that's testing me a bit.Thanks again for your reply. Much appreciated. Cheers Bruce
FollowupID: 769271

Follow Up By: Member - The Drifters - Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 20:04

Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 20:04
Thanks Ironman I am all for that cheating. I'll remember that for future references.Cheers mate.
FollowupID: 769272

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Saturday, Aug 25, 2012 at 16:32

Saturday, Aug 25, 2012 at 16:32
This link is to a very helpful site and it may also assist. Kevin

Camper trailer tech tips

AnswerID: 493597

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 09:16

Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 09:16
Actually Kris and Kev your link brings up an interesting point.

We did not find out what sort of plug he has on the trailer, or car for that matter.
I assumed it was a flat plug.

It is also interesting that I was under the impression that the wiring code was standard throughout the range of different plugs, round or flat, large or small.

It is about time it was made standard.

Many thanks for the link, it explains a lot.

Cheers, Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 769218

Follow Up By: Member - The Drifters - Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 20:16

Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 20:16
Thanks Kris and Kev. Thanlks for the site for the wiring colour codes and plug types.I forgot to mention to Bruce that the plug on my trailer is a 7pin round.but is the same colour code as Bruce discribed.I have made up a test light so I may get some results when I have time to attack it again.Cheers and thanks for your input.
FollowupID: 769276

Reply By: Graham & Lynne - Saturday, Aug 25, 2012 at 20:56

Saturday, Aug 25, 2012 at 20:56
The Drifters
Untwist the 2 yellows from the white ,then earth the white wire to the trailer chassis.insulated the 2 yellow you untwisted all should be fine.
AnswerID: 493606

Follow Up By: Member - The Drifters - Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 20:29

Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 20:29
Graham and Lynne. Thank for that. I will try that because I am pretty sure that is where the problem is with that earth wire connected to the yellow.It is not my trailer so it could have been wired wrong.Thanks again cheers.
FollowupID: 769279

Reply By: Charlie B2 - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 14:07

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 14:07
Hi folks,

I presume you've tested all your globes, too? (i.e. continuity test with a multi-meter across the terminals. You can pick a cheapie up from abot $10)

If you're running those silly festoon globes, the globes can sometimes be fine (although my history with them suggests they're at their best at the bottom of the rubbish bin), but a lack of tension on the "holders" - and I use the term loosely - won't give you a good enough contact to complete the electrical circuit.

Not arguing about others' comments, but even if the plug's wired properly for a 5-pin set-up, it won't work with a 7 pin socket either.

Good luck with working it all out. :-)

Regards,

Charlie
AnswerID: 493715

Follow Up By: Member - The Drifters - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 19:40

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 19:40
Hi Charlie.I Will take in what you suggested and check with the multimeter for any possible faults in that direction. Thanks for your reply. Cheers, Bill
FollowupID: 769353

Sponsored Links