Calcium Batteries

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 09:57
ThreadID: 9767 Views:31126 Replies:8 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone had any experience with Delkor calcium batteries. I was advised that Delkor have a full calcium battery with 710 CCA suitable for a normal battery for a 4wd. Any thoughts ?

JohnG
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 11:14

Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 11:14
John, I had a Delcor Deep Cycle battery fitted only 6 months ago and it has been fine. They are supposed to have good longevity but for me, only time will tell. Ask me again in 4 years LOLDare to Lead not to Follow
AnswerID: 43088

Follow Up By: ianmc - Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 12:48

Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 12:48
Have used a Delkor in my Triton diesel for 4 years without a hitch & it has been abused a bit by running a frig at stops & running it down a few times.
Usually carry second battery just in case.
Had it tested recently and it still puts out 600cca so should be as new.
FollowupID: 305393

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 13:34

Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 13:34
JohnG,
I had a Delkor battery is as the 2nd battery, I had no problems at all. The battery performance used to drop off between trips to a point where it got to be a concern sometimes. As soon as I went on a trip when the battery was being used all the time the performance soon came back to near new. I put a small mechanical electrical clock in the rear drawer cupboard and left this connected when ever the accessories wheren't being used, this gave the battery some work to do all the time. This seemed to work for me. The little sightglass on top of my battery broke (cracked) didn't seem to effect anything and the guy who sold me the battery wasn't to phased, has a two year warranty anyway from memory. Apart from that, great battery, installed for about three years, had a fairly hard life. No winch just the "normal" stuff, light, 40L Engle, rear spot light for setting up camp, HF radio etc etc. Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 43104

Reply By: LBJ - Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 14:02

Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 14:02
hi john, yes i have had a delkor battery for about 4.5 - 5 years now, as a second battery. it runns heaps of stuff like fridges and lights and really just all the accessory stuff. its been perfect. no probs
AnswerID: 43112

Reply By: baldy - Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 16:45

Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 16:45
Hi John,I have had a bad experience with an AC DELCO calcium battery but not with a DELKOR. I had the marine/rv MRV 30 HMP 640 cca calcium DELCO battery. I would strongly advise you to give this brand a wide berth. It cost me many $ and was used as an aux to run lights fridge etc and the case weeped acid from new,so did the replacement, and it only lasted 3 years before dying. Not good value at all.
Of course this is only my opinion, Baldy
AnswerID: 43137

Reply By: nugget - Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 19:38

Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 19:38
I have a 27HR-710 Delkor which I think is the battery you refer to. I've had it for 18 months without any problems. It puts out plenty of grunt to start my Diesel GQ Patrol. I've also used it to run a fridge overnight without affecting it's ability to start the car the next day.
AnswerID: 43159

Reply By: William - Friday, Jan 16, 2004 at 11:43

Friday, Jan 16, 2004 at 11:43
There is no such thing as a "full calcium battery". There is less than 1% of calcium added to the lead
"The Calcium in "calcium batteries" refers to the lead alloy used in the production of the grids for plate making. The alloy is typically still 99% lead with alloying metals."
Calcium alloy batteries are also poor for vibration and not suitable for 4WD or earthmoving equipment
You guys are suckers for advertising and fancy names and do b**ger all research
AnswerID: 43220

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Friday, Jan 16, 2004 at 12:46

Friday, Jan 16, 2004 at 12:46
R&J batteries sell an absolute ton of Delkors throughout country vic to farmers truckies etc. They have found them one of the best for performance and price, they recently reccommended & supplied me with one of their big marine batteries for the jack and it is absolutely fantastic with heaps of cca grunt and doesen't mind dischsrge cycling either. Fully acid sealed etc. Very well made. The lovely Jemima Puddle Duck aka Diamond deals with them also and gives em a good rap.

Have a good look at their marine batteries for fourby use.Moo... everyone knows what a Jackaroo looks like :-)
AnswerID: 43225

Reply By: William - Friday, Jan 16, 2004 at 15:05

Friday, Jan 16, 2004 at 15:05
If you have a look on the main Delkor website you will see not one mention of the word DEEP CYCLE and the reason is that calcium battery technology is totally unsuitable as a deep cycle battery.
If you people got off your fat rear ends and did some basic research you would easily see calcium battery technology with deep cycle batteries is useless and anybody selling you a calcium battery for deep cycle use is ripping you off big time.
AnswerID: 43236

Follow Up By: Mick - Friday, Jan 16, 2004 at 18:49

Friday, Jan 16, 2004 at 18:49
The main question was about a calcium cranking battery.
Throw deep cycle batteries in the bush, or use them as anchors, as they are too slow to recharge!
FollowupID: 305565

Follow Up By: Scott_G - Friday, Jan 16, 2004 at 18:55

Friday, Jan 16, 2004 at 18:55
Mick you just another brainless wit that posts here?
For a starting battery for a 4WD just go and buy an Exide Extreme
FollowupID: 305569

Follow Up By: JohnG - Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 20:01

Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 20:01
William,

This is research.
FollowupID: 305656

Follow Up By: Mick - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 08:29

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 08:29
Brainless wit!!
Must have found my trade papers and engineers degree in a corn flakes packet!! Heard they were handing them out with brains!!
Anyway i think the Delkor 27H-710 cranking batteries are excellent, i run two under my gu bonnet, and as i said earlier, deep cycles take too long to recharge, this is why you run your fridge from a cranking battery.
If you are camped in one spot for a week, deep cycles will not accept a fast charge, because of the design. Cheaper ranges of deep cycles have thicker and fewer plates(unless you run optima or the exide extreme), and therefor build up a surface charge on the outside of the plates, telling the voltage regulator the battery is almost charged, the charger will then back off the amps and supply a trickle charge.
Cranking batteries on the other hand have thinner and more plates, which dont build up surface charges, so the electrons will absorb faster into the lead plates, and give you faster recharge times, which you want when your camping in the one spot for a period of time.
The exide extremes and optima's and other Absorbed Glass Matt batteries work in a similar way to cranking batteries, but give you deep cycle characteristics without slow recharge times.
You may have heard of the Outback battery charger which is built by christie engineering, if not, look it up and youll see what product i designed and now manufacture by the thousand.
We do have hundreds of calls every day about the same problems, and if we could get people to buy an exide extreme, or optima then we'd be rich, as we are a reseller of these batteries, but some people cant justify the crazy prices, and one of the next best thing is the Delkor range of cranking batteries, from Alcoa battery importers in Penrith.
Delkor also make a range of deep cycle batteries, but they are NOT calcium type, just the norm lead acid, and recharge times are slow.
Brainless wit.

FollowupID: 305763

Follow Up By: Mick - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 08:33

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 08:33
This was for Scott_G to undestand some battery tech info.
FollowupID: 305764

Follow Up By: shortgq - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 14:40

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 14:40
Why did one simple question end up with people ripping into each other? I have a battery question, but I don't think i will post it now..
FollowupID: 308628

Sponsored Links