Question: Holland Track

The Holland Track notes are very informative reading - as usual.
Just one query - the History section claims the track was originally 538 km when completed.
The track notes total 731 km - an extra 200 km almost.
I can see the track has been diverted to skirt around various farming areas, but that is a considerable difference.
Does anyone know where the major variations from the original track occurred?
Regards - Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 12:02

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 12:02
To answer my own question - perhaps their are a few diversions along the way - in and out of various 'local area sites'.

Looking at the notes, I see a reference to visiting the Victoria Rocks, and when I Checked the track earlier on Google Earth, I was under the impression the roads met, but the Holland bypassed the Rock.

Similar 'side tracks' would account for extra mileage when totted up....

I shall just have to go and see for myself.

Cheers - Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 493706

Follow Up By: equinox - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 19:18

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 19:18
Hi Phil,

You are right, a few diversions along the way.

The trek notes largest diversion is from the track to Hyden, about a 100km. Then there is Pigeon Rock about 15 kilometres. That trek note also ends at Coolgardie, whereas the original track ended at Gnarlbine Rock (another 30kms approx).

I drove the route last year in reverse (as best I could using existing tracks) and still ended up more than 41 kilometres longer than the original, so can only put that down to deviations due to not being able to follow the original track.

Here's my plotfile, if you choose to download it do so as a GPX file so you get all the waypoints as well.

A great drive, though would be careful in the wet.
Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 769348

Follow Up By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 23:23

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 23:23
Thanks for the very extensive data Alan,

I have downloaded it as a ‘CSV’ file into my Excel – all 10,578 plots – how good is that?

I spent at least half the day creating a reference sheet with about 30 plots – switching between Exploroz ‘Places’ – Google Earth & my Natmaps 250k sheets – you just trumped me in spades.

I only have the simplest GPS - Garmin hand held - entry level gadget that so far has assisted me in assessing just how far lost I might be – but at least points me in the right direction to return to civilisation. Your system gives me some insight into how detailed the technology can be.

I stem from an era when the telegraph line to the kimberley was a piece of 8 gauge fencing wire & the telex and fax machines still seem great breakthroughs in communications.

I have noted your start point was Gnarlbine Rock & you got all the way through to Broomehill – not like the BIL who lost the track around Wave Rock & bailed out.
What intrigues me is that over the 580km your plots recorded about every 55 metres - or are they recording on a timed basis?

No big deal – just curious. I will put the list to good use in due course with a bit of luck. A bloke should'nt get lost over 55 metres, seeking the next waypoint....

Cheers - Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 769373

Follow Up By: equinox - Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 09:24

Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 09:24
Hi Phil - I'm glad you managed to get the data.

I collected it using Oziexplorer CE. I have my track log distance set at 100m, so the GPS will log a point every 100m. It will also log a point if the heading changes by more than 7.5 degrees and when the speed changes by 5 Km/Per hour or 15% whichever is the greater.

All the best
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 769394

Follow Up By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 19:54

Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 19:54
Aha - Thanks Alan

All is revealed - clever little beggars these GPS programmes.

Have been using your file to pinpoint the various 'Points of Interest' indicated in the EO 'Places' list. I can then add a few other prominent points noted on the Natmaps, such as the vermin fence, crossroads etc. Seems easier to just have a list of them instead of unfolding the map, or having to cart the laptop around to get a reference point.

Thinking of doing the bottom end of the Holland with Jill at some time when we can get away - but won't convince her to to venture past the farming areas - if the van don't go - she don't go and we can park up for a couple of nights down the wheat belt and have a good look around instead of passing through as we usually do.

Happy travelling, regards, Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 769468

Reply By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 10:36

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 10:36
Thank you Exploroz team for the 'Heads up' on the Holland Track publication.

A bloke should have known you had the appropriate publication.

I shall have to broaden my research strategies - starting at EO.

My order will follow.

And thanks again to Alan - My Google Earth now has 10Km waypoints along the track for quick reference - an interesting exercise. It also cleared up which way to go just north of Broomehill where Google fizzled out briefly when it ran into a farmers paddock.

Cheers - Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 493843

Sponsored Links