Helena & Aurora Ranges to Lake Ballard

Submitted: Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 15:36
ThreadID: 97690 Views:3042 Replies:3 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
I'm planning to cut through the Helena & Aurora Ranges, from Koolyanobbing to Lake Ballard, near Menzies WA. Whilst my Hema Navigator shows a track, when I try to follow the route on Google Earth the track fades out between the Ranges and Curara Soak.

Has anyone travelled this route ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: get outmore - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 16:45

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 16:45
definitly not faded out now. theres been exploration work and that part of the track you mention has been graded or had a loader or something

orbit drilling Morons had cleared an area around another unnamed gnamma hole and set up a base camp.

I should have contaced them and got stuck in but thats also more the fault of the brain dead field supervisor.

theres not a hope in hell i would have let that go down on my watch when working as one
AnswerID: 493721

Reply By: get outmore - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 16:48

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 16:48
heres my report from the trip

http://forums.overlander.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=71682
AnswerID: 493722

Follow Up By: BJ - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 17:17

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 17:17
Thanks "Get Outmore". Appreciate your comments and trip report. Tried to go through the same route many years ago and ran out of track. Didn't want to repeat that little exercise !
FollowupID: 769338

Follow Up By: get outmore - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 17:24

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 17:24
ive been doing that track since 05 and never had an issue.

just be aware you will see my loop went up the eastern side of the HA and i make mention of passing through mt dimer abandoned mine site
- it is now active and there is no access that way so take the western path from HA up to pistsporrum rocks and on to Currara soak
FollowupID: 769339

Follow Up By: BJ - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 18:05

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 18:05
OK, thanks for the help Get Outmore. I was following a 'friend' ;-)
FollowupID: 769344

Reply By: Tim HJ61 (WA) - Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 00:20

Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 00:20
I went through there a year or so ago and Exploroz did up my trek notes.

http://www.exploroz.com/TrekNotes/WDeserts/Bullfinch_to_Goongarrie_Station.aspx

At the time, the track WAS hard to follow in places and we were reassured by the digital mapping until we found our way back onto the track. In some places we were pushing through bushes that were over the height of the bonnet. I knew I was on the track because the scrub at the sides were 2m high. Other places the treefall put us off track, then another detour, and another, so it was easy to lose bearings.

I figure we were the last travellers through this overgrown section, maybe an experience never to be repeated in this area, as we came across a DEC crew opening up the track for fire and dogger access right through to Helena and Aurora Range.

And as others have noted, more exploration trucks have gone through, marking the track very clearly.

Tim
AnswerID: 493761

Follow Up By: get outmore - Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 01:50

Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 01:50
gotta say i was seriously not happy using my track file for comercial gain.. if id wanted to do that i would have

certainly changed the way i shared information since
FollowupID: 769375

Follow Up By: Tim HJ61 (WA) - Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 05:32

Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 05:32
Not following what you're saying here. Are you saying that this site used your info in the trek note that was attributed to me?

It was a few years back now, and I can't recall how I lodged my data. I recall the EO people worked with me to develop the trek notes, and I was pleased that a trek had been logged through an area that was otherwise a bit of a blank.
FollowupID: 769380

Follow Up By: BJ - Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 09:12

Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 09:12
Thanks Tim HJ61. Your experience is exactly the same as I had when I did this trip before, but from what you're saying it sounds like it shouldn't be a problem now.
I was planning to take the survey line out from Yowie Rock to the Evanston - Menzies road in an effort to avoid any confusion at that end of te track. Any thoughts on that ?
FollowupID: 769392

Follow Up By: Tim HJ61 (WA) - Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 10:46

Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 10:46
Working from memory here. From yowie rocks there was two ways to keep heading north. DEC had cleared the track to Yowie rocks and they had come in from a road to the east, not north.

There was one track that was very straight heading north, but it looked quite scratchy. I guess your calling that the survey line.

We took the DEC advise and took the slightly longer route which was fine, and ended in more open salt pan country which after a day or so of heavily overgrown stuff and 'where the hell are we', was quite enjoyable. Getoutmores photos are familiar to me too, so following his or my track logs should be fine. Both of us lived to tell the tale :-)
FollowupID: 769407

Follow Up By: get outmore - Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 10:49

Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 10:49
I provided in good faith to you trip reports from the area and emailed the track file which you told me was used to navigate that overgrown section
FollowupID: 769410

Follow Up By: Tim HJ61 (WA) - Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 10:52

Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 10:52
By the way, my mapping was the Geoscience Australia 250k series, and I found them accurate.

At one stage I followed a nice track past a drill rig, and the map soon showed me I was not following the marked track, so we turned around and went back to the little used track covered in trees. I really enjoyed, not sure about the teenage daughter who was on track clearing duty - it interrupted the iPod.
FollowupID: 769412

Follow Up By: BJ - Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 11:21

Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 11:21
Thanks again guys for all your good advice.
FollowupID: 769418

Follow Up By: Tim HJ61 (WA) - Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 11:27

Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 11:27
Get outmore,

Hey did you? I don't recall, but if you say that's what happened I'm in no position to disagree. You've not said anything up to now, sorry if I've pizzed you off.

In my trip planning, I found track logs from a couple of people, I'm thinking you may have had a different user name then. What your notes and the others gave me was confidence that someone had been through there, following the tracks shown on the maps that I had, so I figured I'd get through.

I don't know how to load the breadcrumb track log into OziExplorer and follow it, so the trek I lodged with EO was mine alone, and as far as I could see, the only log at the time that showed all the way from Koolyanobbing to Ballard.

I got nothing from EO for lodging the trek that I did, so there was no commercial gain for me. I'm recalling they did send me a tshirt at some stage though I can't remember what it was for, might have been for lodging the trek, might have been for something else.

But sure, if what I did by making up the trek annoyed you, I can only apologise. No intention to steal anyone data, and I'm confident I didn't as I didn't load anyone else's breadcrumb file. What i got from my trip planning was confidence. My intention was to help others out for them to be more confident in heading into country that we all agree is really nice and under threat from mining.

Do you want me to contact EO and ask them to add recognition of the trip planning resources I used, that would be a fair thing to do?

FollowupID: 769419

Follow Up By: get outmore - Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 13:23

Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 13:23
im davoe off of p4x4.... any way im fairly certsin that track east comes out at ularing rock. and was previously close to impassable.Ideal place to bail out and take the gilden quest back to kal if your not continuing north
FollowupID: 769431

Follow Up By: Tim HJ61 (WA) - Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 13:27

Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 13:27
Ah Davoe - right, got it. Again, apologies if I've wronged you.

I'm pretty sure the DEC crew came along that track that you're talking about and opened it up. That was in April 2010, so it should still be clear.

FollowupID: 769432

Sponsored Links