Free Camping Near Esperance WA

Does anyone know of any free camp spots (suitable for small caravan & standard vehicle) near Esperance WA. Found one, just south of Condingup on the coast but at a distance of almost 100kms, not suitable if looking in and around Esperance itself. Any Help would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rocco2010 - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 19:14

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 19:14
Gidday

DEC has campsites inCape Le Grand National Park just east of Esperance. It isn't free but it is pretty cheap and it is a magic part of the world.
Check the DEC website.

Cheers
AnswerID: 493741

Follow Up By: kevmac....(WA) - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 19:25

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 19:25
I aint a total cheapskate, so thanks rocco2010
FollowupID: 769350

Follow Up By: kevmac....(WA) - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 19:26

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 19:26
But then again we do have a small dog so would be precluded from there.
FollowupID: 769351

Follow Up By: Bill BD - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 21:12

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 21:12
Ah, a dog makes it more difficult. Most of the close camps are DEC = no dogs.

Muglinup and Starvation bay are "closeish". Both are dog ok I think. Staravtion bay definately is. They are not free - but cheap.
FollowupID: 769360

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 22:00

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 22:00
If you're not a "total cheapskate", the Duke of Orleans Bay caravan park is on the coast 20-odd km south of Condingup, about 2km from the BEST BEACH IN THE WORLD, Wharton Beach.

It has good campsites which will largely be unoccupied at this time of the year.

Further east is Alexander Bay where the Shire of Esperance has provided campsites on a first come first served basis. Once again, at this time of year, there should be plenty of room.

Dogs generally ok at both.
FollowupID: 769368

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 23:32

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 23:32
While Duke of Orleans Bay CP has been reported as nice when i enquired about the price over twelve months ago, it was $35 for two powered site.

The Shire of Esperance has a blanket ban on camping outside of authorised areas as is the case with many coastal Shires who have cleaned up beach squatter problems.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 769374

Follow Up By: get outmore - Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 03:02

Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 03:02
as MH has said im unaware of any legal free camping anywhere near easperance - and ive looked

DOO. and whartons beach niot being nat park is plauged with kids on quads

seriosly youve got peanut 6 year olds ripping up the caravan park and the beach is far worse

im not sure why tou ant to be close to esperance the whole reason for going that way is the beaches east from there

ive been that way more times than i could describe and i usually only go to esperance for more beer

once youve checked out the tourist coastal drive there there is no reason for hanging around

yea nice town but no way id drive 700km to look at a nice town
FollowupID: 769379

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 07:40

Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 07:40
I'm assuming free camping also includes cheap camping, in which case the following link to the Esperance Shire's camping brochure gives you heaps of options:Camping in the Esperance Shire.

Don't be put off by the access without first checking with locals - the shire or tackle shops or the local surveyor's office as he is involved with the surf casters fishing club. The shire downplays the access because gravel roads can get washed out so they can't guarantee access..

Another terrific spot is Masons Bay, about 20 or 20 km east of Hopetoun (ie 180-odd km west of Esp), with camping spots right alongside the beach or as mentioned elsewhere in this post, Starvation Bay, a bit further east of Masons Bay, both maintained by the Ravensthorpe Shire.

Munglinup Beach has both a lovely quiet commercial caravan park and shire camping at the beach, but be very careful driving on the beach which is very ricey and VERY soft.
FollowupID: 769385

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 07:55

Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 07:55
Also must put in a defence of the Duke, Duke of Orleans Cv Pk, having enjoyed more family holidays there than I can count.

Not sure why you would need two sites, Mother Hen. We often shared sites with another family member as they're plenty big enough, but in short supply when we wanted them during summer school holidays. In terms of the cost, the price of the caravan park is probably the smallest bill from the holiday.

And yes there are kids and some of hem are on quad bikes (not ours') but its pretty well policed. If you want to get chucked out, or have your quad privileges withdrawn, just ride them as discussed by Getoutmore. I've heard many more complaints about that from the quad bike fraternity than from campers over the year.

The best way to avoid them on the beach is to get into the corner to the left of the beach access point, or simply go when it's not school holiday time. Hey, each to their own!
FollowupID: 769387

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 12:27

Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 12:27
Hi Paul

I did not mean two sites. To be standard, when quoting caravan park prices i quote their price for a powered site for a two people. Children are often extra. We did not stay at Duke of Orleans Bay caravan park, but it was the beach where children on quads were seen. What have you paid in recent times for a site?

The price i quoted was obtained in May last year after communication with the proprietors to update a thread on the park on another forum where i moderate a couple of subject sections, including low cost camping. I am also establishing a directory of free and low cost campgrounds on my own website. My real interest in both these tasks is to promote the towns that set up free and low cost campgrounds to bring visitors to their towns. These are often areas which have suffered the ravages of drought and/or downturns in the rural economy; a subject close to the heart for me. We will travel out of our way to visit and support these towns - talking to the people there is always a memorable experience.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 769422

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 12:37

Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 12:37
Thanks for adding about the access to the Shire runs campgrounds Paul. I have listed these as "four wheel drive only and would not be suitable for caravans" as this was the information given to me by the Visitor Centre when researching the area. We could not risk exploring these with a heavy big rig.

We have stayed at Mason Bay and nearby Starvation Bay is an even nicer location. Honesty box fees of $6.60 per site for these community run campgrounds east of Hopetoun. Pit toilet only, and when we stayed at Mason Bay in was full and unusable. Those who regularly stayed there for the summer there were driving to Hopetoun for water supplies. I recall there was a rubbish collection there.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 769424

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 12:53

Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 12:53
The National Parks serviced campgrounds (toilets and solar heated showers) such as at Cape Le Grande are not really cheap for a short stay when you consider the park entry fee of $11 per car (if you don't have an annual or seasonal pass) plus camping fees -

Adults $9 per night; children $2 per night. Children defined as school aged under 16.

Concession cards give a slight reduction of park passes and camping fees.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 769426

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 20:40

Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 20:40
I honestly can't remember what it cost MH, but I don't recall it being particularly expensive, otherwise we wouldn't have been there. We're not wealthy people by any standard.

But I would have to disagree with your last post about $9 a night not being cheap. I would say it is ABSOLUTELY DIRT CHEAP!

There seems to be a massive misunderstanding by some in the 4WD and camping fraternity about what it costs to provide facilities that are really just basic sanitation.

I've got to the stage where I'd prefer to pay $40 or 50 a night for a site in a caravan park with toilets that work and hot showers rather than the putrid non-functioning things there are in so many "free" sites. Pay nothing and get nothing doesn't get you much of an experience from what I've seen.

But each to their own.
FollowupID: 769472

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 21:02

Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 21:02
That's $30 a night for a couple if only staying one night Paul. $11 park pass plus $9 per person, for an unpowered site, probably no water supply, and showers hot only if you are quick. We had planned to stay at Lucky Bay, but it was January and it was packed out.

Yes, we are all different. Our personal choice is to get away from it all - that is why we are caravanners.Bush camping with or without any facilities and preferably somewhere quiet and on our own is our style, and we are tourers not coastal holidayers, so generally only stay for one night.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 769473

Follow Up By: get outmore - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 00:17

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 00:17
admitaly it was a while ago and was around xmas /new years but there was zero policing of the kids on quads and it was totally out of control with kids ripping up the whole area from all around thecaravan park as a racetrack to the beach

things may have changed
FollowupID: 769479

Reply By: *Rusty* - Saturday, Sep 01, 2012 at 22:58

Saturday, Sep 01, 2012 at 22:58
We stay at Alexander Bay every time we go down and love it. Dogs allowed no worries. Quagi beach is another one on the western side of Esperance that people often stay at - i cant comment as have never stayed there personally.
AnswerID: 494090

Sponsored Links