Sorry, another one of "those" questions 12HT vs 2H (+/- Turbo) vs 1Hz

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 22:49
ThreadID: 97714 Views:12783 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
for the best part of 3 yrs I have been looking to get my 1st real 4x4. (have my X-trail on the market)

Just when I think I have made up my mind, I read an article or talk to someone and I find I am back to square one.

So my choices are based on the following criteria

1/ Budget approx 10K (ideally including long range tanks, dual batteries, draws, bar work, Radio comms, lift, tyres, driving lights, snorkel)

2/ primary use will be touring, not a daily drive, so reliability and economy is paramount ==> Diesel

3/ I have this thing about being able to sit on the speed limit ( I hate being stuck behind people!)

4/ Must be easy to work on, basic is better

5/ Must be registered and rust free

6/ Will only consider a Toyota (lets not start that debate again)

Options
60 series 12HT
proven reliability
power/torque OK
Old and difficult to find rust free
Comfort for touring questionable (after market seats would improve)
Have seen these upto $16,000 and still need some work done!

60 series 2H
reliable (late 80's preffered)
uncomfortable
lacking power
difficult to find rust free
within budget
with an aftermarket turbo increases drivability but ??? effects reliability??

80 series 1Hz
reliable
more comfortable
lack power for highway driving
at the limits of the budget, will not get all of the accessories I would like
are these easy to work on??

so decisions, decisions.

I know that a well looked after of any of the above will easily do 700,000Kms plus, but there is no way to guarantee its previous service history, so even a relativly new engine of approx 300,000 may not last too much longer.
So am I better off going for a motor thats been rebuilt at 250K and now has 350 on the clock or an original motor thats in the mid 400kms indicating that its probably been well looked after to get this far?

If rust is evident, and its repaired correctly, I would assume that its just a matter of time before the "cancer" re-appears?? and therfore to be avoided

Would really apprecate peoples thoughts, I guess at the end of the day its a gamble when looking at spending this amount of $$$ (but its taken me 3 yrs to save that much and its a big deal to me)

Sorry to start a new thread, but couldnt find anything that covered my above dilemma

"please consider"
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - reddirtdreamer (WA) - Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 23:18

Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 23:18
Just sold my 60 series (2h) with almost 500thou on the clock. was basicly cancer free only two little spots that i was too lazy to fix and had all the accessories to go with it (long range tank 190ltr , winch , mtz's , dual batteries) . she was slow but not snail slow , uncomfy yes but that didnt bother me but we still drove from karratha to alice springs via the tanami then up to katherine to kunnunara and then home to karratha nearly 7000 ks and the old girl never missed a beat (3 adults and trailer). best of all I could get myself going again if something did go amiss , so thats my two bobs worth . cheers wayne
AnswerID: 493821

Reply By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 23:22

Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 23:22
Paul,

OK just my opinion for what it's worth.

Considering your budget and requirements I would look for an 80 series in as good a condition as possible and not worry too much about a lack of accessories. You can always add these as you go and funds become available. They are more comfortable and so far do not appear to be exhibiting the rust problems that reared their ugly heads in the 60's. Off course they are a lot younger. Now don't get me wrong, I think the 60's were, and in some ways still are a great honest and reliable truck. Two good mates of mine bought the first of the 5 speed's 1983 I think and had great runs out of them. Another bought a 1984 model near new and it clocked up over 500,000kl before he got rid of it, still had the original engine. They all had the 2H engine. AFAIK the 12HT was just as reliable with a bit more grunt. I think you will be struggling to find one that is not showing signs of the dreaded industrial cancer.
As far as ease of maintenance, I don't think any of them would present too many more dramas than the others. You may already know that the 1HZ has a timing belt that needs to be changed at about 100,000kl intervals. If it goes twang you will be up for lots of dollars to fix. Having said that it aint rocket science to change.
I would try and find one with a good service history rather than worry too much about how many kl's on the clock. Having said that any vehicle regardless of how well it's looked after has a "use by" date.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 493822

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 23:25

Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 23:25
Well you are on the right track .... Toyota hahahahaha.......
The 2h is just to old and slow for "touring" if that is your aim, 1HZ is perfect and will maintain the speed limit if you want to, will you be towing and if so what weight as it rules out any speed .......
My thoughts .... go the 1HZ and start basic and buy the gear as you go, spend BIG on basics mechanically as they are what costs you if you break down, forget about rust, it WONT affect you as far as reliability goes and it wont stop you in the middle of noware, rust is over-rated these days as mechanical breakdowns can cost a fortune in the outback but a rust hole as big as a football wont stop you or even slow you down, chassis rust is not as bad these days as it used to be in old cars and 4wd's dont seem to have as much chassis rust as the older units used to have, just get a good chassis and mechanical gear and you will be fine, the rest can be fixed and changed as you go...
Cheers
Joe
AnswerID: 493823

Follow Up By: PaulCranwell - Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 23:43

Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 23:43
Thankyou for the above responses,
I take your point regarding the rust vs mechanical robustness and will keep it in mind

Regarding , will I be towing anything? Not likely, want to travel as light as possible. Well as light as a Cruiser can be :)

Thank again
FollowupID: 769478

Reply By: mountainman - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 15:42

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 15:42
ho ho ho merry christmas.
make him an offer.
worth the call

ITEM: 1985 Sahara 12HT Manual
CONDITION: Very tidy
PRICE AND PRICE CONDITIONS: $12,000 ONO
EXTRA INFO: http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/laverton/cars/1985-toyota-land-cruiser-sahara-12ht-turbo-4x4/1002743542
LOCATION: Laverton WA, 350 Ks north east of Kalgoorlie. I can assist with air fares from Perth on company charter flight, or deliver to Kal for interstate buyers.
CONTACT INFO:barnzey60@gmail.com
PICTURES:

AnswerID: 493856

Follow Up By: PaulCranwell - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 15:48

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 15:48
Thanks for that, followed the link and its already sold

Bugger
FollowupID: 769513

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 22:13

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 22:13
Hehe - 12H-T didn't come out until mid 1986. Maybe the motor was transplanted later?
FollowupID: 769536

Reply By: mountainman - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 15:55

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 15:55
it was going for a song, couldnt get rid of it, had all the stuff you wanted.
and finaly sold....hey
ebay is your friend.
and even carpoint.
worth paying extra if the engines been rebuilt.
a reco goes for 10GRAND. in rebuild costs.
AnswerID: 493859

Reply By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Friday, Aug 31, 2012 at 22:55

Friday, Aug 31, 2012 at 22:55
My 12HT will be on the market in a couple of months. 265K.
cheers
Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 494046

Follow Up By: PaulCranwell - Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 20:36

Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 20:36
Thanks Dave,
looks like a nice rig

Whats it got?
more importantly, how much are you looking for?

Paul
FollowupID: 769823

Follow Up By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 09:11

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 09:11
Paul, if you want to email me I will tell you all about it. I have had it for 17 years and only selling for health reasons.

beharrieatbigpond.com and replace the 'at' with @

cheers
Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 769842

Sponsored Links