Solar panels

Of all the dodgy Solar panel sellers on E-Bay who have any buyers had Quality and value for money from. Lookng at getting either a folding set up or two seperate panels, one for roof of van and the other for roof of canopy. thanks in advance.

Cheers Ross.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 06:36

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 06:36
Hi Ross. The two main ones that I know of are ozplaza.living and bit_deals. Both good value for money. Bob
AnswerID: 493829

Follow Up By: racinrob - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 07:27

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 07:27
I bought a 130w panel from Antenergy in Melbourne, panel, German regulator, anderson plugs, extra long lead etc all good quality.

rr
FollowupID: 769485

Reply By: Member - silkwood - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 07:26

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 07:26
Also happy with the panels from Ozplaza.Living.

Cheers,

Mark
AnswerID: 493831

Reply By: geoffqld - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 07:50

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 07:50
Bought one from Lowenergydevelopments, was damaged in transit but fortunately I'd paid the insurance. They asked for photos of the damage and after seeing them they sent a replacement panel within 2 days. Very impressed with the service, not many around like that. Panel is as good as the other ones I've bought, 80w.
Geoff
AnswerID: 493832

Reply By: sweetnam - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 07:54

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 07:54
I have also bought from Lowenergy... no problems. Bought two individual panels and made a folding panel - very happy
AnswerID: 493833

Reply By: Cravenhaven - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 09:04

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 09:04
From my experience with an Australian ebay supplier of panels, make sure you check the output of the panel when you receive it to verify that it actually produces the power that its marketed as. Send it back if it doesnt.
I bought a 200W panel and after a series of tests, the most I could get out of it was about 130W and that was at less than 12volts. Through my solar controller it would only produce about 6 amps max which equates to less than 100Watts. The company took it back and even paid for the return freight which was very generous of them.
cravenhaven

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 493839

Follow Up By: Member - Ed C (QLD) - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 12:35

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 12:35
Do I get a prize for guessing which ebay supplier is supplying these incorrectly (fraudulently) labelled panels??

;-))

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 769503

Follow Up By: Cravenhaven - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 13:36

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 13:36
Quite honestly I wouldnt trust any of them, so I dont think any particular supplier deserves a mention. I have seen many solar panels used in the country, with such a thin wire from the built-in regulator to the battery that I'm surprised it charges anything at all.
The big question is how many users have any idea just what current they get from their panel. Does it live up to the suppliers/manufacturers rating. Its of minor consideration that the panel comes with good connectors, or great packaging etc etc, when you pay for X watts you should be able to get that amount or at least very close to it. In Australia we have beautifully clear skies most of the time so there is no reason for a panel to not output its rated current when facing the sun on a fine day.
cravenhaven

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 769505

Follow Up By: Member - Ed C (QLD) - Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 01:41

Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 01:41
I have no doubt that there are many honest ebay suppliers out there, including those already mentioned in this thread, whose panels will perform in accordance with their labelled specs.. I have a few such panels..

However, there is one supplier in particular (that we know about) who is known to have been supplying mis-labelled panels.. (e.g. 130W panel labelled and sold as 200W)

How do I know this? .. First hand experience!
I also know that there are other users of this and other forums with similar experiences with the same supplier..

* "The big question is how many users have any idea just what current they get from their panel." *

This is the pertinent question, and I suspect is the reason why this particular supplier has apparently been able to get away with what can only be described as FRAUD!

It's all very well if one knows what to expect, and has the means to measure the panel's output, which, if/when found to be not what is printed on the label, then said supplier is very apologetic, and gives the impression of being keen to "make good", but this scenario has been played out far too many times for it to be an "honest mistake"...

It's not the panels that are the problem, it's the mis-labelling that's the problem...

Who knows how many buyers simply trust what is printed on the label, and have no idea that they've been "had" by this particular supplier?

As the old saying goes... CAVEAT EMPTOR!

:)

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 769545

Reply By: auzinomad - Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 00:35

Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 00:35
I have bought from AntEnergy , now in Rooks Rd Vermont Vic twice and been satisfied both times.
The last purchase was for Bro I. L. a 160W folding panel with MPPT regulator.
The leads were of sufficient size and as he wanted extra length they warned him of potential power loss and recommended a heavier lead.
Would I trust them again
YES

Ron
AnswerID: 493895

Reply By: bks - Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 16:14

Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 16:14
I bought mine from OZ plaza and it is great. The only change is I upgraded the regulator to a MPPT again off ebay.

My panel is exactly the same as those I have seeen for sale at 3 times the price at Camping shows and in magazines.
AnswerID: 493926

Follow Up By: bks - Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 16:25

Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 16:25
Sorry forgot to mention, previously on this site some one gave the minimum physical dimensions for panels to be the correct wattage. If you check this for the dodgy suppliers their panels are always smaller.
FollowupID: 769569

Reply By: Phillipn - Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 21:31

Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 21:31
Look up jgmdirect.com, they are in Nanango Qld.

I purchased LED lights from them at a good price. They have solar panels.
AnswerID: 493953

Sponsored Links