Goodyear Wrangler AT/R tyres

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 15:01
ThreadID: 9772 Views:11929 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am starting to look around for replacement tyres for the Pajero as the Duellers are probably within 20,000km of the scrap heap.

I have had a good run our of D693s apart from a couple of punctures, but I thought I might try something else for a change, but I thought I would ask for experiences.

The tyres I have in mind are AT/R Wranglers. I now that the older type Wranglers were more use as buffering around a dock than on a wheel, but the new versions seem to be much better constructed.

So, has anyone tried these new AT/Rs from Goodyear?

If I don’t get any positive results from this query I will be going to the Cooper ST model instead, so please don’t bombard me with BFG etc info!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: flappan - Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 15:08

Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 15:08
Ants had them on his Sorrento.

He reconed they were OK , before getting rid of the vehicle.
AnswerID: 43116

Reply By: Dean - Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 16:12

Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 16:12
Doing the same thing right now, about 5000 away.

Havent used them, but I saw a set yesterday, P265/70/16.

The tyre fella compared it with a 693 and Dunlop AT2.

The ATR looked great. If the actual physical weight is a guide, the ATR should be stonger as it was noticeably heavier. It has 2 poly,2 steel,2 nylon.

This fella reckons that this is the stongest AT tyre in P construction.

I,m probably going to go BFG for the LT construction, and Cooper dont do LT in my size, but if I dont, ATR are the go.

AnswerID: 43127

Reply By: Member - Ed. C.- Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 20:26

Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 20:26
G'day Joe,
I've recently fitted a set of the G'Year Wrangler A/T's (265/75R16) on "Speedy" 16x7 white 8-spoke rims to my GU Patrol... (original patrol rims/Bridgestones are now on campertrailer)...
Have not done enough K's yet to make a judgement, but they've seen several hundred K's of gravel (towing camper), & handled that very well indeed...
Haven't tested this aspect, but I believe the puncture-resistance is said to be quite high..
On-road feel is very good (haven't experienced any "aquaplaning" on wet tarmac, as I had with the Bridgies), not too noisy, & no problems with balance...
It remains to be seen, I guess, how well they will "wear" in the long term, but at this stage, I have no reason to regret the purchase...

Regards, Ed. C.Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand............
Not necessarily mechanic!!"
AnswerID: 43163

Reply By: fatz - Friday, Jan 16, 2004 at 09:40

Friday, Jan 16, 2004 at 09:40
Put a set of 285/75/16's on my 100 series about 9000 k's ago. They grip well in the mud and clear themselves well when its messy. I also reckon they are quiter on the road than BFG's. they seem to be lasting well and also appear to have a thicker sidewall than others. The only complaint I would have was that they were bloody hard to balance and one of the tyres was out of round. I also have a mate who had the same issue but that is what warrenties are for. All up a pretty good tyre for the money. I think I paid about $275 each.

AnswerID: 43209

Reply By: Slider - Friday, Jan 16, 2004 at 18:18

Friday, Jan 16, 2004 at 18:18
Check out www.tirerack.com. It's an American site but has some interesting feedback on all types of tyres.

The new Bridgestone Dueler AT 694 (It's call a Dueler AT Revo over there) is number one at the moment. It's worth reading some of the comments from people who have bought the tyres as opposed to a review in a magazine.

I am just about to replace a set of Scorpions after 70,000 faultless k's and am thinking these new Bridgestones might be the go.

Good luck.
AnswerID: 43257

Sponsored Links