How many days for a CSR trip?

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 06:49
ThreadID: 97734 Views:2219 Replies:9 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
We are heading out that way next season if all goes well.
We have been discussing the length of time to have a good and relaxing trip without stressing ourselves or our vehicles.
We have 40 litre fridges which restricts the amount of cryovaced meat we can carry!
We have all been on various outback journeys and consider ourselves reasonably experienced and know what to expect.
The site here says 16 days minimum, way too quick for us.
My thoughts had been 21 days, but one of our group wants to be out there longer as he considers 21 days too fast.
We want a couple of nights at places like Durba Springs for example.
What are your thoughts and experiences?
Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mazdave - Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 09:27

Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 09:27
It depends on a lot of things, How much time you want to dedicate to travel each day, how long you want to stop to sightsee and what detours you plan.
some people are early risers and travel to dark, others like to get up late and pull into camp early.
As a general rule, we get up when we wake up (you are supposed to be on holidays) Have a good brekky, pack up camp and should be on the road by around 9.00 - 9.30, Our other general rule is not to travel past 5pm, so anytime after about 3, we are looking for a place to camp. Our camp takes about 10 minutes to setup and pack up, so we dont waste a lot of time there.

Having said all that, when we did the Canning in 2009 it took us 18 days, which is enough. Whilst it is beautiful country it does get a bit monotonous
AnswerID: 493904

Reply By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 10:02

Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 10:02
Our trip was 10 days Ian and this seemed plenty , we did not stay anywhere for more than 1 night and saw everything we wanted to.

We had some showers and a couple of cold nights with rain and so no real incentive to stay longer.

We thought Durba springs was overated, people everywhere - with locals telling us where you can't go , a bit dirty and with low levels of smelly undrinkable water. (shot through after an hour as wasn't worth camping there despite the pretty rocks)

Overall a great drive though and we will go back and go from north to south next time.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 493905

Reply By: brianc - Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 10:07

Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 10:07
We did it some years back withour 4 kids (6 -12) and two grandparents (68+/-) with a plan for 21 days. We had to miss the bottom few wells due to conditions but we still took 18 days. That was fine. Get going when you get up starts, smoko morning and arvo, sightseeing, energy burning off stops for the kids, stop by 4ish (gets dark early ). That worked out fine for us, no stress, saw what we wanted to. Had a couple of two nighters which really helps.
AnswerID: 493906

Follow Up By: Iain M - Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 12:03

Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 12:03
Reckon thats about our pace as well, thanks for your post
FollowupID: 769553

Reply By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 10:47

Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 10:47
Did it 2 years ago with 5 vehicles, south to north, we took 17 days, with 2 nights at Durba Springs.

I wouldn't do it in less, next time more like 20/21 days, and north to south.
AnswerID: 493908

Follow Up By: Iain M - Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 12:04

Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 12:04
Allowing 21days is starting to sound OK, Thanks mate
FollowupID: 769554

Reply By: rocco2010 - Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 10:55

Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 10:55
Gidday

I reckon the answer is in your question --- somewhere between 16 and 21 days sounds about right. It is worth remembering that the CSR is very taxing on both man and vehicles and regular stops during the day are a good idea, particularly on the heavily corrugated sections. If you have a flexible schedule you can take a break.
It was while on the CSR a few years ago that the "never drive past a good camp site after 4pm unless you know exactly what lies ahead" came to the fore. Someone else was calling the shots and was worried about the schedule so we pressed on and come dark found ourselves in a less than ideal spot.
Most CSR travellers camp near wells, particularly those with water, but bear in mind there will be no firewood there and and the surrounding bush is likley to be littered with human waste and toilet paper. The more popular places like Durba will be busy. One of the best camps we had was in a grove of desert oaks just south of Lake Disappointment and we only stopped there because someone spotted a dead mallee that provided the firewood for the night. The point I am trying to make is be flexible.

Cheers

Rocco
AnswerID: 493909

Reply By: Iain M - Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 11:17

Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 11:17
Some terrific answers there and great tips too, finding unburied waste is becoming an issue and would prefer not to camp in those places!.

It seems the 21 day "plan" is not too bad, we are flexible but I am yet to retire so an open ended return date is not an option.

Bosses don't like not knowing when you might be back.

21 day averages less than 100klm per day which I was hoping was a nice easy pace with lazy starts and early camps.
And plenty of time to enjoy the trip.

for all the answers so far.
AnswerID: 493911

Reply By: Candace S. - Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 16:12

Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 16:12
The Exploroz Trek shows a driving time of 1 day 22 hrs 36 mins for the CSR, but still recommends allowing over two weeks to do it. That seems very leisurely but I guess it allows lots of time for sightseeing and a rough road?
AnswerID: 493925

Reply By: lizard - Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 17:38

Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 17:38
yep 21 days is good - plenty of time for a long look
AnswerID: 493934

Reply By: cookie1 - Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 19:33

Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 19:33
We did it in 10 days but were waiting for the hard sections that never eventuated. We stopped at Durba and it was nice when we were there but we had the place to ourselves on the first night.

Some of the best places were in the Southern half with the upper half a little bare but we did find some good spots.

Agree with the 3pm camping, we pushed on a couple of times but agree with the earlier comment about settling for a less than perfect place.

You will have a ball, I would recommend fuel at Well 23 from Capricorn as it was cheaper than Kunawarritja

Cheers

Colin
AnswerID: 493940

Follow Up By: Iain M - Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 19:50

Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 19:50
Thanks for the fuel tip, might pass on the duration though!
Its still only 200 odd K's each day but we want to slow down and get the most out of it.
Cheers Colin for your info.
FollowupID: 769587

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 19:59

Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 19:59
Totally agree, we had to be back in time for one of our group so had intended to do it in 14 days but could have easily spent a couple of days at Pierre Springs & WIndich Springs.

There is some frozen food available at Kunawarritja but I found it exceedingly expensive - I have a pack of 40 Huggies for $8.00 but if you need it then they may have it. They weren't the friendliest of people but guess they may have their reasons.

We preprepared our meals in vaccuum sealed bags enough for my team which saw us through 23 days in a 50L Waeco with plenty of dry meals - just in case. Corned Beef with Deb Potato is a great meal with a can of Peas & Corn, Tuna & Deb Potato - you get the drift we had a back up plan to get us through.

Cheers

Colin

P.S. I am jealous - was there only a few months ago
FollowupID: 769591

Sponsored Links