Water

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 20:41
ThreadID: 97748 Views:2638 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

We're does everyone fill up there caravans water when free camping and not staying in caravan parks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: wombat100 - Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 20:48

Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 20:48
When required- I've asked at servos when I fuel up..and haven't been knocked back yet !!!
AnswerID: 493948

Follow Up By: Member - VickiW - Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 20:54

Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 20:54
Me too although once knocked back only cause they said (tank) water was contaminated from diesel tanks - good reason for asking and also for always keeping plenty in reserve.
FollowupID: 769599

Follow Up By: Member - Salt grinder - Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 23:03

Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 23:03
Free camping is free camping, weather staying in a tent OR caravan. One has to respect the sources of water dependent on the environment of where you are. Free camping reminds us we have no umbilical cords connected to power or taps.

My wife and I existed on 5lt a day (total) through the Gibson Desert for two weeks.

VickiW I think your servo who said NO was just saying no because they had only tank water. It's not there for filling up caravan tanks.

If you plan to be in remote areas carry empty 20lt tanks and fill up when times are plentiful and days ahead look uncertain. Remember city living is what you travel to get away from.
I sometimes question my sanity . . . . and then it answers back.
Carpe diem

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 769607

Follow Up By: toyotarules - Friday, Aug 31, 2012 at 07:02

Friday, Aug 31, 2012 at 07:02
Don't take this the wrong way but at the end of the day whether it's a week a month every ones going to run out of water my question was were thay fill there tanks up that's was all.
FollowupID: 769619

Follow Up By: didjabringabeer - Friday, Aug 31, 2012 at 11:26

Friday, Aug 31, 2012 at 11:26
Hi.Agree ask before filling up at servos.Mate and I filled up at Meekatharra put over
$300 of fuel in (10yrs ago) then ask if we can fill our water tanks. Got knocked
back, To late to go up the road fuel already in. cheers Brian
FollowupID: 769639

Reply By: Member - Wamuranman - Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 21:57

Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 21:57
Hi,

Depends on how your water supply is configured...do you have 2 separate tanks (potable and non-potable).
If so its easy to always find a non-potable supply but sometimes harder to find potable.
If camping near a freshwater creek you can fill the non-potable from creek using a small 12V pump and battery or you can also get a small pump that can be attached to electric drill.
Many free camping sites have non-potable water as well.
Every town has a small park with a tap...always carry a long hose as you may need to park a distance from tap.
Virtually every town haspublic toilets with a tap...a long hose is also handy.
Our potable tank will last 3 to 4 weeks (only used for cooking).
But our non-potable only lasts 3 to 4 days...but there are a lot more places to fill from.
Always ask permission to fill if there is anyone to ask.
Cheers
AnswerID: 493955

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Aug 31, 2012 at 01:30

Friday, Aug 31, 2012 at 01:30
Hi Toyota

We need fuel more often than water top ups, so can usually fill at servos. I always ask first before committing to the fuel purchase as sometimes they cannot oblige, the tap may be in a place that parking a caravan would block the traffic flow to the pumps, or it may not be suitable for fitting our hose to it.

Because i keep things simple we don't have filters, so if supplementing water from a river or lake and it is not top quality, we use it direct from the drawing bucket after allowing any sediment to settle and save out tank water for drinking.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 493959

Reply By: Lucko - Friday, Aug 31, 2012 at 09:21

Friday, Aug 31, 2012 at 09:21
We carry 2 x 20L containers for when access to a tap is difficult. Tourist information centres are handy spots to fill up, but we always ask.

Mark
AnswerID: 493974

Sponsored Links