Hi everyone! Just a couple of basic ones!

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 16:13
ThreadID: 9775 Views:2226 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I'm new to 4WDriving, just purchased 1989 terrano 2 door, forked out $8000, too much? Altough it's not ultimate 4WD I like it, I only wanted that one. In the future I'm looking at putting on additional equipment on it. Stuff like biger bull bar and roof rack. I'm just wondering how do they fit roof rack since there is no provisions for it on the roof? Currently it is auto transmission so my sister can drive it as well : - ( , I'm getting laughed at wherever I go "4WD with auto : )" but I'm looking at conversion to manual in the future, anyone attempted something like this?Is pathfinder transmision identical to terranos? In addition to that, I would like to find out where in Melbourne I can get acessories for it, like roof console, etc. And of course workshop manual for it. As far as the radios go, I've seen that CB and HF radios are a "must" in 4WD if going on trks of course. Which HF and CB are best for the job (I mean type like AM only, AM+SSB, not the brand). And how to get HF radio licence, because as far as I can remember for HF it is required.
I'm sorry for bunch of questions, but I can't wait to get in to 4WD world, and I find this place is the best to start!

Many thanx!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 16:20

Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 16:20
Dragan,

I cannot help you with the Terrano specific questions but for your questions on comms the best answers are in the Communications Topic Search (LHS Menu). You will not need a 27Meg CB anymore - go for a UHF and if you really need it a HF. Have a look on the topic search page for the links to the forum using the preselected keywords - You will find heaps and heaps of posts on HF vs Sat Phone and UHF, HF info.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
AnswerID: 43129

Reply By: flappan - Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 16:26

Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 16:26
The folks laughing at you about 4wding with an auto , obviously have no idea.

In some instances like rock climbing and beach work, the auto will kick a manuals butt many times over. Wouldn't worry about the auto at all.
AnswerID: 43134

Reply By: Dragan - Terrano - Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 16:34

Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 16:34
Thanx mate, every drop of help is much appriciated!
AnswerID: 43136

Reply By: LBJ - Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 16:45

Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 16:45
dragon, pathfinder and terrano trany's are not the same bud. if you are looking to get a manual down the track then i would suggest just selling your terrano and buying a manual outright. for your roof racks do you have a place down ther called" roof racks galore" if so they are good for just everyday type roof bars if you want to go something a bit more h/duty then arb or tjm are the go. why the terrano man?
AnswerID: 43138

Follow Up By: Dragan - Terrano - Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 16:59

Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 16:59
Thanx for the info! Why terrano, well, I like the looks and size of it, didn't want anything bigger than terrano, and I wasn't after ultimate 4WD. On top of all that, there is a money issue. I couldn't find anything else the I would consider except terrano for amount that I had to fork out.
FollowupID: 305436

Reply By: jeff-wa - Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 17:07

Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 17:07
Auto's kick butt for 4wding 80% of the time, I'm an ex manual 4by driver and have gone to auto and never looked back! besides converting any 4by from auto to manual or vice versa is not really worth the money...
I'm not sure about manuals for the terrano but I did a google search for my surf (another type of import) and found the complete toyota service manual for it in a PDF format in a matter of minutes.
Roof racks are probally similar to mine, I have no gutters and no rack rails, Rhino's website if really good, lookup a pathfinder and it should help you out, they have some cool racks that fit around the doors, you can hardly tell the difference.
AnswerID: 43141

Reply By: Jimmy - Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 20:44

Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 20:44
Hey Dragan I just sold my Terrano for $8000 I should really have got more for it. The first chap to see it bought it. 91 170000klms Black Nudge bar roof racks 5 door and in great nick but it did have a leak in the fuel pump ( about $1000 to fix)

Watch the temp on the beach or up any sort of hill. Mine was ok most of the time except in soft sand. If you see a hill turn the A/C off before you get to it!

Change the auto tranny fluid as soon as you can if it hasn't been done recently as this is a weak point.

As far as a bull bar goes dont bother unless you want to upgrade the torsion bars. I was quoted $600 for this. The terrano has a limited enough front end clearance as it is.

I fitted Rhino roof racks to mine which looked great about $350.00. Mine were mounted on a channel rivited to the roof. Easy on ... Easy off...

If you want a manual, best off to buy a manual they are out there in the terrano model just a little bit harder to find. I am with you in prefering a manual. The auto is nowhere near as good downhill but is better in the sand however after having driven both back to back off road I feel more at home and more in control in the manual.

Enjoy the Terrano its great value for money in my opinion but I think soon you may
be looking at greener pastures :)

Jim
AnswerID: 43171

Reply By: Nomad - Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 22:10

Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 22:10
G'day Dragan

Just to confirm what the others told you. don't worry about the Auto. Next time somone picks on you, laugh at them. They're way behind the times or just trying to macho truck drivers. I've got a 3lt Patrol auto and I wouldn't change it for quids. In the sand, on the mountains, just great mate. You stick with it.

See ya in the bush. Treadlightly!

Nomad
AnswerID: 43182

Reply By: bruce.h (WA) - Friday, Jan 16, 2004 at 15:11

Friday, Jan 16, 2004 at 15:11
Dragan
let them laugh mate ,learn how to drive it & then you can have the last laugh as you drive by them
btw i drive an auto i am also a qualified 4wd instructor
regards bruce
AnswerID: 43238

Sponsored Links