Caravan Insurance

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 01, 2012 at 08:11
ThreadID: 97776 Views:4173 Replies:9 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All, Just got my van insurance bill and after I got up of the floor I thought I would ask on the forum who do others insure with and how they find the insurance company to deal with.

So if you have any comments they will be greatly appreciated.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rick P (NT) - Saturday, Sep 01, 2012 at 08:31

Saturday, Sep 01, 2012 at 08:31
Hi Vern
Give Ken Tame & Assoc a call, it will mean joining the Campervan & Motorhome club to get their insurance but we found it well worth it. They also only insure your vehicle and caravan as a package.
Cheers
Rick P
AnswerID: 494052

Follow Up By: racinrob - Saturday, Sep 01, 2012 at 17:50

Saturday, Sep 01, 2012 at 17:50
100% right Rick I have a 'Cruiser and caravan insured as one at a very attractive rate which includes two tows a year, annual windscreen replacement with no impact on no claim bonus etc etc.

rr
FollowupID: 769734

Reply By: Member - Wamuranman - Saturday, Sep 01, 2012 at 08:56

Saturday, Sep 01, 2012 at 08:56
I think there has been big increases in insurance premiums across the board.
Our house insurance just arrived this week...up 40% on previous year.
(and we live on top of a hill...nothing to do with flood risk).
All you can do is shop around...but I think all companies have put their premiums up significantly for cars, caravans, homes etc.
Insurance companies have all taken a big hit in past 2 years with big increases in claims and they are now trying to claw back some profits.
Cheers
AnswerID: 494054

Reply By: Member - Des Lexic - Saturday, Sep 01, 2012 at 09:15

Saturday, Sep 01, 2012 at 09:15
Vern, I have just renewedthe Tvan and found that RAA were better priced than CGU who previously insured it. Same for the house and contents. Did the cars this week and CGU were more competative than RAA this time. Just have to shop around.
Cheers Des
AnswerID: 494057

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Saturday, Sep 01, 2012 at 09:50

Saturday, Sep 01, 2012 at 09:50
I was with CIL, but now with SGIC - been a member of the RAA for ages and they were far too expensive ! As you ring around and get quotes, the figures usually surprise and often seem to have little connection to financial reality.... in my view, that is because insurers play us all for fools, trying all sorts of tricky games when quoting - you will probably do best where others may not - its a sad game ! CIL were very good to start off (bait premium maybe ?) but then upped the figure..... SGIC didn't 'up' the second time round.
AnswerID: 494060

Follow Up By: Member - Peter R (QLD) - Sunday, Sep 02, 2012 at 18:48

Sunday, Sep 02, 2012 at 18:48
Check out the comparisons here
Comparisons from Caravanners forum

Pedro
FollowupID: 769776

Reply By: Member - kym111 - Saturday, Sep 01, 2012 at 13:45

Saturday, Sep 01, 2012 at 13:45
We've just insured our soon-to-be-delivered van. All of our insurances are with SGIO , so decided to stick with them and get the multi-policy discount. I nearly died when they gave me the price! I figured it had something to do with the fact that I upped the contents cover from $1000 (standard) to $10,000 and the high replacement value of the van itself. It cost more than our house & contents insurance.
I shall be shopping around next year...
AnswerID: 494070

Reply By: mbw650 - Saturday, Sep 01, 2012 at 16:18

Saturday, Sep 01, 2012 at 16:18
We picked up our new van a month ago, never bothered with insurance on the old van. But due to buying new this time thought it would be a good idea, van came with contact details for CIL and a dealership quote number to get the " special " price.
Well after being quoted $ 1700 + , got up off the floor and started to ring around.
The first phone call halved the CIL quote, then got further improvements after that so it pays to shop around. CIL does cover you for some things others don't, but saving so much I will cover any eventuality out of pocket.
AnswerID: 494073

Reply By: SDG - Saturday, Sep 01, 2012 at 19:16

Saturday, Sep 01, 2012 at 19:16
A smash repairer once told me that each year insurance companies rotate there prices so that no one is the cheapest all the time. This is to give every one equal chances to get business. Providing you shop around. There will always be those who stay with the same company from loyalty.
AnswerID: 494084

Follow Up By: The Landy - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 08:26

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 08:26
I think myth busters would destroy that view...
FollowupID: 769935

Reply By: Mad Habits - Sunday, Sep 02, 2012 at 08:44

Sunday, Sep 02, 2012 at 08:44
G'day from experience most insurance companies put their prices up every year you stay and they seem to rely on people being too Complacent to shop around each year, this is especially true with green slips, so shop around each year.
The exception seems to be below so
As said before in this thread join CMCA and give Ken Tame a call, you will have to insure both the tow vehicle and the van on the one policy (or they won't give you insurance, however the combined cost you are paying now will drop by about 40% you will also have to supply pictures of the car and the van and supply proof of CMCA membership (which includes a monthly copy of the Wanderer magazine)
I insure a 5th wheeler and a Nissan Navara STX550 (all 1 year old now) combined value $150K with $8K burglary cover it costs about $1,400pa for the lot!
I used to pay more than that just for a car before I decided to travel.
CMCA membership is only about $40/45 and many parks give a 10% discount to members too.
I got a broken screen the other day so I will have to put the cover to the test to get it replaced but I have spoken to many people that have had to make claims so I don't expect any issues.
Good luck with it.
Cheers Nigel
AnswerID: 494099

Reply By: Graham C3 - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 12:57

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 12:57
I go through this agony every time I recieve a re-newel for any policy. I have all policies with AAMI and each time I get a notice I ring and query the increase. The excuse is always the same. "The premiums go up with the CPI each year."

I have never failed to get a reduction in the premium. As recently as this week I reduced my caravan premium by $70.00 just by phoning and speaking to someone.

I have saved hundreds over the past few years just for the sake of the phone call.

We have house, contents, 2 vehicles and the van covered with AAMI and have made just one claim and the attention was second to none.

I have no affilliation with AAMI but have to give credit where it is due despite the fact that I dislike insurers almost as much as banks.
AnswerID: 494297

Sponsored Links