road conditions flinders ranges/birdsville track

Hi, we are leaving in a few days on a trip to the flinders ranges and then the birdsville track to birdsville , innamincka ,cameron corner and outback NSW. I was trying to get some info on road conditions but cannot seem to get any on this site . would appreciate any ones input thanks Judy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Terry (SA) - Saturday, Sep 01, 2012 at 22:57

Saturday, Sep 01, 2012 at 22:57
Check out Transport SA ,Northern road conditions.
The Link is Outback road conditions
Cheers

Terry
AnswerID: 494089

Reply By: olcoolone - Sunday, Sep 02, 2012 at 09:22

Sunday, Sep 02, 2012 at 09:22
Agree with Terry..... best thing to do is learn how to do it yourselves and not rely on others, road conditions can change from day to day and the government sites are the best to follow.

We have seen roads closed within a few hours of us departing and reopen 16 hours later.

Most of the roads your looking at are nearly major highways and in most cases can be tackled in a standard 2wd car.

The other thing is what one might say as being good or bad may be the opposite for someone else.
AnswerID: 494105

Reply By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Sunday, Sep 02, 2012 at 11:29

Sunday, Sep 02, 2012 at 11:29
Hi Judy,
Personally, I can not see the obsession some people have with road conditions :).
Just head off and you will soon see what they are like. If you come across a road that is impassable or closed, then re-assess your plans.
Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

AnswerID: 494112

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Sunday, Sep 02, 2012 at 11:34

Sunday, Sep 02, 2012 at 11:34
Personally I can see nothing wrong with having a Plan A, esp. if you have limited time and some must-see items on the agenda.

It's perfectly on the cards that Judy can get stuck in an outback town on her itinerary for a week and it's possible to avoid that with up to date road and weather info.
FollowupID: 769760

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 05:55

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 05:55
Hi Judy

On a recent club trip we planned on going down to Victoria through Delegate to Bonang and then across the McKillop track to Barry Way and back home into Canberra. One vehicle had LPG. We head out and at the end of McKillops Track we turn north and there is a sign saying that barry Way is closed at the border. Two alternatives. Turn back through the track or head down to Orbost on the coast. It is also sunday late afternoon. The LPG car does not have enough fuel to go back the way we came so we have to turn south. The leader was not told the border was closed when he rang on the friday. (!!!!).

That started a 200 kms and almost three hour detour south to the Pacific Coast for LPG at Numeralla then Orbost and finally north up the Bonang Highway to NSW and home.

That's why it is handy to know what the road conditions are like.

Phil
FollowupID: 769835

Follow Up By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 13:59

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 13:59
Phil, my point exactly! your leader was informed the track was open when he asked. His plans were set around this wrong information.
It can also be the other way around and be told a track is closed when it's open, this may cause you to change plans to taking a not so preferred route for no reason.
I prefer to be prepared for most circumstances that way we can enjoy the holiday.

Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

FollowupID: 769866

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 15:35

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 15:35
The problem is that he was not told either way whether it was open or closed. If he had been told it was open then it would have been. Zip - nothing. So we went blind like you suggested we should have. I am sorry that I did not make it clear. Bad news. For warned is fore armed.

That is a major traffic route from Cooma to the coast so they would have not made an error.

Not everyone has the resources or the time for 200 + Kms detours. Try that in Queensland with the ltest NPWS camping having to be prebooked and you can end up sleeping in the car in a truck rest stop because you cannot get to your NPWS booked camp sight as you have a detour. Or I could even end up late for my Chemo treatment that was arranged for me to have in Alice Springs because the Tanami was closed. No thanks.

Phil

FollowupID: 769874

Reply By: Sigmund - Sunday, Sep 02, 2012 at 11:30

Sunday, Sep 02, 2012 at 11:30
There's an RTA website for NSW but I found it useless for the NW part of the State. Drop into the police station in Tib. on your way out from Cameron Corner and they'll give you the number of a 24 hour info line. The Parks office in Tib. also posts on their notice board road conditions for adjacent shires/states.

On the Qld corner, there are 2 or 3 shires with their own info, or not.Birdsville Info Centre in the Diamantina Shire is worth a call before you leave Maree, or email them. They're very helpful and open 7 days a week IIRC.
AnswerID: 494113

Reply By: Member - Judy and Laurie - Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 08:58

Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 08:58
Hi all
Thanks so much for all the info, will catch up on the return
cheers Judy
AnswerID: 494153

Reply By: Member - Dicko1979 - Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 10:12

Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 10:12
Enjoy your trip

We are actually doing the reverse in 3 weeks

Cheers
AnswerID: 494161

Reply By: ExplorOz - Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 11:37

Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 11:37
the Road Conditions section of ExplorOz is listed under the Treks tab at the top of the site - it says "Check Road Conditions". The first page shows all the road closures, or you can search by a road name, or you can browse the listed reports by state/region.

I notice your post received a response on FB from Corner Country Outback NSW (FB link to reply.

Regards Michelle
ExplorOz

Business Member
My Profile  My Blog

AnswerID: 494165

Reply By: Sigmund - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 16:00

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 16:00
Yeah, we too did it in the reverse direction in June. Got held up for a day or two at Tib. and again at Inna. No drama. Had great campsites and enjoyed the trip immensely.

Hope you have a great trip.
AnswerID: 494237

Sponsored Links