Thermal Cookers

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 17:54
ThreadID: 97827 Views:2984 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All - I'm new to this, so sorry if I'm going over old ground.

I am looking at buying a thermal cooker and don't know which way to turn - there's so many on offer. What have people purchased previously, what is recommended?

Any adivce would be greatly accepted.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 19:15

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 19:15
Hi Aneta

Although we chose not to get a thermal cooker, we did investigate them. I don't know where you live, but if you have an Aldi near you, watch the specials. I know someone who purchased on - around $60 odd i recall, and on testing it against one of the big brand names, it held the required heat for longer.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 494245

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 07:59

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 07:59
We have an EcoPot which has been excellent. I was a reluctant convert after my pressure cooker died and now find it is excellent. Apart from delicious soups and stews it does corned beef to perfection.
The Aldi model seems to have disappeared - I haven't seen them for a year or so. Friends bought one and it seems to work fine and they are happy but it did not come with a good recipe book and the pots seemed a bit light weight compared to others. The EcoPot pots have a good heavy base so there is no problem browning meat etc if you wish and they make good extra saucepans. The insulated carry bag is also a good idea.
They all seem to work well - haven't met an unhappy owner of any of them yet! Lynne
AnswerID: 494280

Reply By: toffytrailertrash - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 09:35

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 09:35
We bought a Dream Pot at the Melbourne Caravan Show and have used it four times, roast beef cryopacked and for corned beef. It did a reasonable job but I wouldn't rave about them. We have just got back after picking up our new van and doing a quick shake down and never contemplating using it, most of our cooking was actually done on a little single burner Big W cooker even though we had a Webber in the side boot, it was just so convenient when used with a non stick tepenyaki plate. I think that by the time you spend setting them up for your evening meal it would take you that long to cook anyway.

Cheers

Merv/Di
AnswerID: 494285

Reply By: Member - Noldi (WA) - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 11:56

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 11:56
We resisted for years and finally got the dream pot (no ALDI in WA)
we find it good, but not great
Use it at home probably once every 4 to 6 weeks
not keen on the recipe’s though
AnswerID: 494292

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 12:59

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 12:59
G'Day Aneta
Dreampot for us. Great when my wife & I decide to go out from camp on a day walk. Setup the dreampot before we leave in the morning & dinner is ready when we get back.
Only thing we find is if the day is really cold then sometimes a slight re-heat of the meal is necessary. Still beats cooking after a day out walking in the bush.

Cheers
Stu
AnswerID: 494298

Reply By: Member - WM3B - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 16:58

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 16:58
Hi Aneta,
We bought a Shuttle Chef earlier this year in readiness for our 1mth Central Australia camping trip in July. We love it. We have the 2x 3litre pots.
I used it before the trip, over 3/4 of the meals on the trip and frequently since. On the trip I had planned a menu.
It was little effort in the morning to make a meal e.g. curry in one and rice in the other. I think the most time was 15-20mins - we had our meat cryovaced. We had a great variety of meals and as they were 'slow cooked' the meat was lovely and tender. As there was a fair time between making the meal (usually around 6.30am) and eating (around 5.30pm), if the meal had cooled slightly we warmed it on the gas stove, it never needed more than 30 secs before it was boiling again.
If a meal didn' t need both pots, I would make a desert or just have boiling water in the other.
At home I use the pots for general cooking too.
I also use it at home now as I have 3 school age children so I will prepare a meal any time during the day or even after school and it keeps warm in the shuttle chef so we can still go to sport etc and it doesn't matter if my husband is running late.
It was expensive but very worth it. We got a special which included the insulating cover and round cutting board and loaf tin.
all the best, Wendy
AnswerID: 494312

Sponsored Links