Track conditions - Goog's Track and Anne Beadell Highway

My husband and I will leave next week for a trip up Goog's Track (south to north), across to Lake Eyre, up the Oodnadatta track to Dalhousie and back to Perth across the Anne Beadell Highway (east to west). I have copies of the Outback Travellers Guides for these routes, the Desert Maps and have downloaded the tracks from the Treks page...

Is there anybody here that have recently travelled these roads in the mentioned directions, that could give me an indication of the current track conditions?

We will be travelling in a 200-series Landcruiser and tow a Kimberley Kamper.

Any advice or information regarding the general area we will be in will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Christelle
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Grizzle - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 15:46

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 15:46
Just got back from trip including Googs Track, South to North. Should be no problem. Tyre pressures main issue. 20psi or lower and you will have no worries. Saw a couple of people going up with camper trailers on.

We then did Anne Beadell Highway coming in from Cook up to EMU via Volks Hill CNR. Saw some people with a Coromal Off Road Van going across to Perth

Anne Beadell Highway ABOMINABLE!!!! Very heavily rutted all the way. You should still do it OK but will be rattly!!

Good luck!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 494304

Reply By: Member - Walter H (WA) - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 18:04

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 18:04
G'day...Yes I just came of the Anne Beadell as I crossed West to East and then up the Oodnadatta track to Alice and yes the AB was Badly corrugated and slow going with tire pressures down to 20 and 25 psi in my Troopy and we made across in 8 days, and as for the OT it was quite good and i was able to drive at a comfortable 80 to 90 k's with tire pressures back up to highway pressures.

Enjoy !
AnswerID: 494315

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 22:02

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 22:02
Hi Christelle

We were out along sections of the Anne Beadell again a few weeks ago and things are the same, and no real big deal if you know what to expect and drive to the conditions.

Speed and tyre pressure will be your best friend. On our Prado, I was running 18psi front and 20psi rear and speeds will vary between 20 - 40 kph. Your 200 series will eat up the conditions with ease providing you drop tyre pressures and your speed. Yes the SA side is by far the worst and conditions will greatly improve just before Ilkurlka.

It is still one of my favourite Deserts and we will be out there again next year. The flowers were great east before Emu and were starting to come out in full heading further west, so it should be looking unreal when you are out there.

If you have not been out there before hare are a few images of what the desert was like when we were out there in mid August.

I could go on and on, so I will leave the rest to you.

Have a great trip and you will want to do it again.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 494333

Reply By: Member - SneakStoffel - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 22:36

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 22:36
Grizzle, Walter and Stephen,

Thank you very much for the replies. We were expecting to have to lower the tyre pressures substantially, and will also reduce the tyre pressures on the trailer (probably to the same pressures we expect to run in front). We've allowed a month for the round trip, but crossing the Nullarbor will take some time, since we have never been further east than Israelite Bay, and the caves and cliffs on th Bight look amazing.

Stephen, your photos make me want to leave tonight already -- it's a real pity that we need our jobs to pay for our adventures! These photos do not show the bad corrugations mentioned...

Is there still some water left in Lake Eyre, or has the level dropped significantly? If there is still water left, we would like to do a quick plane trip to see it, and we don't know when the opportunity will present itself again.

How much fuel did you use crossing the ABH? I expect to use a bit more than the Prado, but possible comparable with the

I look really forward to this trip. It's been a few months in planning and now it's finally just seven sleeps!

Again, thanks for the info. I will try to revise the earlier bits of our plan so that we can plant to spend at least 8 days on the ABH, rather than the 6 in our current plan...

Regards, and thanks,
Christelle

AnswerID: 494337

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 22:57

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 22:57
Hi Christelle

I know that the above images did not show the corrugations, but they are they and will go on and on. I have found that by stopping every half an hour or so, sometimes even sooner for photos, it will give you and your vehicle a break from the conditions.

I should have also mentioned that it is advisable to phone ahead to Ilkurlka with your date of arrival for fuel ( Ilkurlka phone Number 08 - 9037 1147) as I have heard of people turning up for fuel, only to find that they have to wait for the next day for someone to open up the fuel pumps. Ilkurlka is around mid way through the trip, so you will need enough fuel for around 700 kilometres, plus extra in reserve in case you do take any other side trips.

If you want to see a lot more images and a full write up of our last full drive, you can open this link to my Blog:

Anne Beadell Blog

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 769995

Follow Up By: Member - Walter H (WA) - Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 20:24

Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 20:24
Hi Christella, some photos of the AB Corrugations...as for fuel consumption I used 240 ltrs of Diesel which included a few deviations of the main track and towing another 4x4 the last 60 k's into Coober Peady as the fuel tank had split and he had used the last of his fuel as it was a unleaded powered 4 wheel drive.

Hope this helps
FollowupID: 770047

Sponsored Links