89 rocky ute rear wheel bearings

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 19:22
ThreadID: 97856 Views:2420 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone tell me which way the race of the tapered wheel bearings go on the rear wheels? Does the race go on before the bearing or the bearing go on first and the race go on last?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 20:01

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 20:01
Not sure what you are asking.
In the hub there is an outer race/ring which is an interference fit into the hub. One both sides. Fitted with the flat face to the shoulder in the hub.

The combined inner race, with cage and tapered rollers are fitted over the shaft and into the inner races.

If it is a front or rear hub then they must be greased with bearing grease and on the inner side the hub will have a seal which must be fitted after the bearing and the hub slid onto the axle tube.
AnswerID: 494323

Reply By: mountainman - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 22:05

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 22:05
the taper goes to the outside.
larger side towards the centre diff, narower side to the outside.

with any hub, replace bearing and race at same time.
race gets fitted into hub first.
critical not to damage it.
then fit bearing, and hub seal on rear, throw on hub over axle tube, then fit outer bearing.

look up landcruiser rear axle hub service on youtube.
youll get the idea. on the bearing, way to do the job
AnswerID: 494334

Follow Up By: Hespy (NT) - Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 11:03

Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 11:03
Hi,

I was a Daihatsu mechanic years ago and owned a rocky ute for many years which was a great ute.
In regards to the rear axle set up in the Rocky it is a semi-floating type axle set up as like in the Hilux of the same era and not fully floating like the Landcruiser. i.e. one large tapered roller bearing not two.
In regards to you question the bearing race is an interference fit (use punch) into the hub which goes down onto the shaft first (grease seal towards the brake shoe plate and taper up) and then the greased bearing is fitted onto the shaft (taper down) and into the hub assembly fitting into the race. You will need a press or large punch to put the bearing into place.
You will then need a press to fit new the new locking collar on and don’t damage the surface as this is what the inner axle seal runs on to stop the oil coming out of the diff. The next step is very important. You will need to set up the bearing preload. This is done by using a dial gauge to measure the end float and is adjusted to specs by adding or removing shims of different sizes. Some of the shims are of paper size and fit onto the hub assembly where the bearing is located. Normally if you are just repacking the bearing the old shims generally can be used again but new bearings will need to be readjusted. If you don’t get the preload correct as to manual specs you will get a clunk in the rear when you take off if its to loose or alternatively if to tight the bearings will wear out and will drag. I have all the manual’s on the F77 Rocky ute if you need some further info or specs.
FollowupID: 770009

Reply By: Hespy (NT) - Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 11:05

Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 11:05
Sorry should be a reply.
AnswerID: 494347

Reply By: tiger p - Tuesday, Sep 11, 2012 at 17:09

Tuesday, Sep 11, 2012 at 17:09
As soon as I get a Visual on the 177 axle Ill look for those stickers gman ...

Get back to ya with the information as soon as it dries out alittle here.

HAPPY PODing !!!
Rent Semi Trailer
AnswerID: 494711

Sponsored Links