Need help with a van weight

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 11:02
ThreadID: 97863 Views:1991 Replies:6 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
Another strange request ......

I need some info if anyone can help me, i am going to change the brakes to electric but i need to know the weight (est) of the van to see if i need 1 axel or 2 axels braked (QLD Regos)

It is a 1973 22ft 2 axel Vicount .... fairly std van with the "normal" bed at back, kitchen n bench chairs/table in middle and sofa bed thingy up the front .......

Does any one have any idea of what they are rated at, i mean std ratings

And NO i can not take it to a weighbridge as the nearest is 500klms away .....

Cheers
Joe
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ann D (WA) - Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 11:41

Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 11:41
Hi Joe,

There is a caravan forum,that i found by accident but did not keep the link.
some one on there may be able to help.

What do the registration papers say the weight is.

cheers
Ann D
AnswerID: 494349

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 11:49

Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 11:49
yessss, that is where i have a problem, it is registered as i did all the "checks" but we got it delivered and they forgot to put the papers in and i am having trouble contacting them, they may be "on the road" someware .....
Yep it should be easy but it is not ....
I will look at the other forums but i hate joining something unless i know i am going to use it, i barely have time to keep tabs on this site and it is a good site so i will "try" here first before going elseware ....
Cheers and thanks
Joe
FollowupID: 770016

Follow Up By: Geoff in SA - Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 12:18

Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 12:18
Hi joe and Mel

try weighing just one wheel and see if you are able to get a weight.

it should be somewhere in the vicinity of 20 to 23% of the total weight. thats if you leave the van attached to the tug.

if you are using a standard scale you may need to use a lever to give a 3 or 4 to one ratio as the standard bathroom scales only hit about 150 -200 Kgs.

Its the best I am able to suggest atm

Regards

Geoff
FollowupID: 770019

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 13:18

Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 13:18
Hi Joe,

Mate with that sized van I would put brakes on all 4 wheels.
Much safer for you and the family in the long run. Much higher stability under brakes.

Extra cost I know but small price for the added safety margin.

Thats my advice Joe though you may not want it LOL.

Cheers Mate, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 494355

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 14:46

Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 14:46
Joe,
If you can not or don't want to weigh the van for whatever reasons, and I would strongly advise you do, as Bruce has said for a van of that length, definetly 4 wheel brakes. I would be very surprised that it did not already have all wheels braked. You would also need a breakaway emergency brake set up if not already fitted.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 770021

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 15:56

Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 15:56
Good point Pop, I did not think about a brakesafe unit.

They are a legal requirement if over 2 tonne in NSW and although many of the older vans were lighter than todays monsters I would bet you are getting close to that weight Joe. Not sure of the regs in Qld but probably similar.

It is getting more and more expensive Joe. LOL

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 770023

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 16:38

Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 16:38
Thanks guys, Bruce/Pop i do totally agree and i am pricing up a complete set now, yes all adds up but cheaper than breaking down or coming un-stuck eh ...
I will call it an "investment" in getting back home safely, probally cheap given we have kids .....
Cheers and thanks
Joe
FollowupID: 770027

Reply By: Dennis Ellery - Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 14:45

Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 14:45
About 4 years ago I was looking at new onroad vans about that size,
The ones we looked at were between 1.7 to 2 tonnes empty.
We purchased a 24ft van - weighs 2.2 tonne empty and we are about 3 tonne loaded with 2 tanks of water, genset, a couple of jerry cans, etc
AnswerID: 494356

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 15:56

Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 15:56
Joe,

Any of the stations around there got a cattle weighing platform you could borrow?

Think most of the later ones weigh up to 800kg or more, so you could do one side and then the jockey wheel, and get a fair idea of the 'van weight.

Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 494359

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 16:40

Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 16:40
Cheers Bob, that is a brilliant idea, we should be able to get one off them ..
Many thanks
Joe
FollowupID: 770029

Follow Up By: pepper2 - Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 16:49

Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 16:49
Can you request a duplicate set of rego papers that may have the weight on them ??
FollowupID: 770030

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 16:47

Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 16:47
Many thanks for the replys guys, given i "should" have the papers and it was a dumb question i actually have excellent answers and ideas, as we live remote nothing is simple here ..
Good news is our local police lady has been VERY helpful and has found some info for me so i may be on the home run, and based on the advice above i will be fitting electric brakes to all axels, safety is paramount and it will be worth every cent ........... be so broke i will have to stay home now hahaha
Oh well
Cheers and thanks all
See ya's on the road in 3 weeks for SIX WEEKS OFF ... gotta love that eh !!!
Joe n Mel n kids
AnswerID: 494364

Reply By: ozjohn0 - Saturday, Sep 08, 2012 at 08:52

Saturday, Sep 08, 2012 at 08:52
EXTRACT FROM VSB1

15.1 Trailers that do not exceed 0.75 tonne GTM with a single axle
No brakes are required.
Note:
Two axles with centres spaced less than 1 metre apart are regarded as a single axle.

15.2 All other trailers that do not exceed 4.5 tonnes ATM
These trailers must be fitted with an efficient brake system that complies with ADR 38/-. Except for over-run brakes, all brakes must be operable from the driver's seat of the towing vehicle.

For trailers up 2 tonnes GTM, an efficient braking system is considered to have brakes operating on the wheels of at least one axle. Over-run brakes may only be used on trailers that do not exceed 2 tonnes GTM.

Every trailer over 2 tonnes GTM must have brakes operating on all wheels. The brake system must cause immediate application of the trailer brakes in the event of the trailer becoming detached from the towing vehicle. Under these circumstances, the brakes must remain applied for at least 15 minutes.

Cheers Ozjohn.

AnswerID: 494475

Follow Up By: blown4by - Saturday, Sep 08, 2012 at 22:00

Saturday, Sep 08, 2012 at 22:00
"For trailers up 2 tonnes GTM, an efficient braking system is considered to have brakes operating on the wheels of at least one axle."
Just one point of clarification on the above.
An 'efficient braking system' is considered to be one that has a braking capacity equal to the GTM of the caravan. Therefore if the GTM is 2 tonnes then the brake capacity must equal 2 tonnes which will mean at least 15 or 16 inch wheels will be required to accommodate a sufficient diameter drum or disc rotor to achieve that braking capacity (and possibly dual calipers)
Whatever brake kit you buy make sure the manufacturer states what the braking capacity is (many do not)
FollowupID: 770165

Sponsored Links