Advice/buying guide for a 105 cruiser 4.5?

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 14:53
ThreadID: 97866 Views:4067 Replies:4 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hey there all

In the market for a 4.5 petrol/gas land cruiser 105 just wondering if anyone has any links or guides for what to look out for when buying one?

I have searched google with no real detailed guides

There's one local here with 180,000kms duel fuel with all the bells and whistles asking price 25k

http://iphoneapp2.carsales.mobi/cars/details/?R=13039885

Realistic price?
Any thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.
Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Aussi Traveller - Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 15:55

Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 15:55
I just sold a 4.2 factory turbo 105 gxl with alloy Bull bar, tow kit, full roof rack, spoties, near new tyres, and 265000 km for 15 k to the guy across the road.

25k for a petrol model is way to much even if it was gold plated.
AnswerID: 494358

Follow Up By: emosh99 - Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 19:33

Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 19:33
Hey mate arent the factory turbos 100 series ifs?
FollowupID: 770037

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 20:51

Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 20:51
Yes they are, so it was a 100 series not a 105 as stated.

Now I will go and sit in the naughty corner.

PS: It still doesn't make that one you are looking at, a good deal.
FollowupID: 770053

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 16:18

Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 16:18
Under 20 for a reasonable one and no more than 22 for a really good one.

Just remember that these so called gas guzzlers are not popular these days with most people. Our gain, their loss.

Victoria is the place for dual fuelled vehicles as there are many more down there.
Check out carsales.com.au and ebay.

Have a look underneath for dents and damage which would indicate too much off road. The auto boxes rarely if ever give trouble and are stronger than the manuals apparently. Get the lowest Ks you can of course but Ks are not a amjor problem if it has been reasonably well looked after.

I bought my current 03 V8 petrol cruiser through carsales.com and paid 22.5 grand for a really nice one with medium to slightly high Ks Goes very nice.

For 25 grand you could get a nice V8 but they are not 105s they are a 100 with Independant Front Suspension as are the factory turbos.

105s were only available in the 4.5 or 1HZ diesel as far as I know. Even the Factory turbos were IFS as far as I am aware.

From late 2002 onwards they went to a 5 speed auto easily picked out in photos by the chrome indicator plate around the base of the gear shift. Small dash layout changes as well after 2002

I am more than happy to be corrected if I am incorrect.

Cheers, Bruce

At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 494361

Follow Up By: emosh99 - Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 19:35

Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 19:35
Hey there Bruce

Exactly what I was thinking offer wise... I agree with lower Kms however If I factor in All the accessories this one has will end up costing me more.. The trade off as far as I can see is Kms for accessories...
FollowupID: 770038

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 20:07

Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 20:07
It is always a trade off between what you want, what is available and how much it is going to cost you.

These big 4WDs have big motors and are designed for heavy work so can handle the Ks.
So hi Ks are not as important as they are with smaller motors. This is all provided that they have been serviced at the required schedule throughout their lives.

My first cruiser was a 97 model 4.5 80 series with 316thou on the clock when I got it.

It felt like a near new vehicle. I was emmidiately impressed with the mark and made up my mind driving that vehicle home that I would only drive a Landcruiser from that point on while ever I was able to afford to. I was that impressed.

You just keep the services up and give them a small amount of TLC and they will look after you.

Most important of all is keep them garaged when not in use. That saves a
vehicle no end.

The car is more important than the accessories I think as accessories can be had any time and as time and money permit but good vehicles are not always available.

But look hard, there are some good bargains out there, but you have to search them out. Don't be in a rush to part with the cash unless you are getting value for money. Research, research, research!!!

Cheers, Bruce
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 770044

Reply By: madfisher - Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 19:43

Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 19:43
Way to dear, I just checked the valuation for you on car sales and the max trade in prive he would get is $13300. Private sale price where in the range of $15300 to $18500. Send him and email stating you have checked the valuations and if its in very good nick you will go to $19000 if all checks are OK. Remember the v8 is more economical as well paticulaly with the 5 speed auto.
Good luck Pete
AnswerID: 494371

Reply By: Crammo - Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 19:56

Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 19:56
After much research we chose to buy a 4.5 6cyl petrol/LPG Landcruiser, our first Toyota. Our van is over 2.5t ATM so that cuts the range down, especially as we wanted an auto trans. I have been a motor mechanic since the 60s and a TAFE teacher in Automotive Engineering since the late 70s, and still have many colleagues in the trade.

In our price range there really was only the one choice, Jeep and Landrover were discounted as they had too many reliability issues for me to be bothered with. Auto Patrols didn't have the towing capacity, and Pathfinders seemed to be developing a suspect reputation. Didn't want a 4 door ute, not much left.

I chose the 6 over the V8 LC for a number of reasons. Yes they can be thirsty, and have slightly less power and torque than the 8 (but there isn't much in it) and can cost around the same price for a good one. As a motor mechanic and one of the things I value is simplicity and the ability to do my own work when things go wrong.

The 6 has only one cylinder head (and gasket) instead of 2, 6 fuel injectors instead of 8 etc etc. Less need for special tools and more working room too. This engine has been around for a long time and was designed for the LC from the outset to take abuse if needed.

Suspension, wheel bearings etc the 105 Series (6cyl petrol) is well proven (same as 80 Series) and simpler than in the 100 Series V8 or TD (independent front suspension and different (weaker?) rear axle assembly). Check out what is involved in removing the starter motor on the V8 - inlet manifold off to start with. On the 6cyl 2 wires and 2 bolts its off - no comparison!

A big plus is that the 6 has a timing timing chain instead of a belt as on the V8 (and many other models). These need to be replaced (expensive) at regular intervals.

A possible downside is that the 6 has a shaky reputation when run on LPG due to valve seat recession and consequent burnt valves. Using a Flashlube injector system over comes this problem. I use one and have had no problems yet (230,000km). But even if you do need to have the head rebuilt you would be looking at around the $2K mark including upgrading the exhaust valve seats so the problem is fixed forever.

Compare this to cost of reconditioning a set of diesel injectors (if indeed they can be rebuilt), rebuilding an injection pump or major mechanical repairs on a diesel, or turbo replacement. None of these are uncommon. The higher servicing costs on the diesel can't be disregarded either. From my perspective, and its my opinion only, the biggest advantage of the diesel is low down torque, but for me the trade offs are too great to risk my hard earned.

We have 140l or so of petrol and an additional 70l or so of gas giving a more than acceptable range.

In 2 years the car has done nothing wrong, we have done more than 30,000km towing a 2,600kg caravan with minimal vehicle service costs. Running mostly on LPG and on long trips, oil changes can be safely extended.

Brian
AnswerID: 494374

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 11:49

Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 11:49
Brian that is the most comprehensive statement I have ever read on this or any other forum congratulations. I drive a ti550 pathfinder, and we are very happy with it as with all vehicles service and maintenance is paramount. but once again thanks for the statement.
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 770081

Follow Up By: madfisher - Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 13:44

Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 13:44
Yes well done mate, great report,
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 770086

Follow Up By: emosh99 - Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 17:48

Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 17:48
Thanks very much Brian your experience and reply has made this an easier decision.

In on my way to look at the one I posted, fingers crossed!
FollowupID: 770105

Follow Up By: madfisher - Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 18:16

Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 18:16
Brian we obviously think along similar lines. While everyone is obseesed with diesels, they are under such huge stresses theses days I doubt wheather any of the 4 cylinder TD will last as long as a petrol. My field of e3xpertise is Jacks and it is interesting that few of the common rail tds are making it past 250000,(Jackaroo with the 4jxi) where as I recently come accross a v6 Jack with 488000ks on the orinigal motor. Changes ones thinking some what.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 770108

Follow Up By: emosh99 - Monday, Sep 10, 2012 at 00:14

Monday, Sep 10, 2012 at 00:14
Ok so the model is really a 1998, not a 99 as stated.

Once again google has failed me (or maybe I'm hitting the wrong keys), but what are the differences between the 98 and onwards models? As far as I could tell, no airbags and different colour seats?

I haven't had a chance to see a 99 model in the flesh..

So the truck drove ok apart from the really no responsive steering; from around 10-2 o'clock there was nothing, as in not a delay in steering response, litterally the truck didn't steer at all. Is this the trade off with a lift + 35"s or is there a other problem?

I will most definitely get the truck inspected before purchase but just any info would be great.

Does anyone recommend a decent 4x4 workshop around the Eltham area?

The two gas tanks are located on either side of the truck near the seals, will this prevent me from installing some sort of rock sliders? Should I be conceded about them hitting a rock and blowing up? They appeared to have some sort of protection, unfortunately I only had a chance to inspect the truck at night time and yes it also started raining.

Thank you kindly once again for all your help

Emosh

FollowupID: 770252

Follow Up By: emosh99 - Monday, Sep 10, 2012 at 00:14

Monday, Sep 10, 2012 at 00:14
Ok so the model is really a 1998, not a 99 as stated.

Once again google has failed me (or maybe I'm hitting the wrong keys), but what are the differences between the 98 and onwards models? As far as I could tell, no airbags and different colour seats?

I haven't had a chance to see a 99 model in the flesh..

So the truck drove ok apart from the really no responsive steering; from around 10-2 o'clock there was nothing, as in not a delay in steering response, litterally the truck didn't steer at all. Is this the trade off with a lift + 35"s or is there a other problem?

I will most definitely get the truck inspected before purchase but just any info would be great.

Does anyone recommend a decent 4x4 workshop around the Eltham area?

The two gas tanks are located on either side of the truck near the seals, will this prevent me from installing some sort of rock sliders? Should I be conceded about them hitting a rock and blowing up? They appeared to have some sort of protection, unfortunately I only had a chance to inspect the truck at night time and yes it also started raining.

Thank you kindly once again for all your help

Emosh

FollowupID: 770253

Follow Up By: emosh99 - Monday, Sep 10, 2012 at 00:17

Monday, Sep 10, 2012 at 00:17
Sorry for the double post!

Also the owner mentioned the main petrol tank was only 40 litres.. Did I miss understand him or is that the trade off when you have twin lpg tanks?

Cheers!
FollowupID: 770254

Sponsored Links