travel to Darwin from Brisbane in the wet season

Submitted: Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 15:36
ThreadID: 97883 Views:4204 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We were wanting to travel to Darwin in December to visit my son we are traveling from Brisbane via the Queensland Coast and then head out from Townville, the wet season is not suppose to be as bad this year, but I am concerned about the weather, can anyone tell me if they have done this trip in the wet season and is the scenery just as nice, we will be taking a week to drive up there and will have a caravan.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 20:36

Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 20:36
Janice,

I took a truck up there in late January, which was after the big floods that destroyed the Darwin-Alice railway.

From Mt isa through Camooweal, and across the Barkly was really green, with plenty of water in the creeks. Bit drier then from Barkly Homestead up to about Daly Waters, where it started to get much greener again, and much more water about. Don't remember any water over the road anywhere, but north of Katherine, the water is often close to the bitumen, in low-lying areas.

Except where the highway, and rail line had been damaged, there was little road works, and that would long be completed now. The Stuart Highway is a great bit of road, wide and no expected "death-traps".

I'd question your decision to travel the coastal route to Townsville(you can tell me to mind my own business, it you like lol) At the moment, travel is VERY slow on the Bruce Highway(ask any truck driver on that route), with all the roadworks, and it would be questionable whether its all finished by Dec. By my map, it's about 3,900kms from Brissy to Darwin, via Townsville, and that route would eat right into your weeks travel, especially with the 'van.

Up to Rocky, then across through Emerald to Longreach is still a good drive, with some scenery.

As far as weather goes in Dec, it may be hot and humid, warm and humid or cool and humid, if there's been any storms about. The night I got there, it had rained from late afternoon into the evening, but by the time I got there(1.30am), most of storms had gone, and temps were mild, but still felt very humid. When the storms are late in Darwin, it gets up around the high 30's, or even into the early 40's. That's probably when you go to the big shopping centres, eh.

Don't worry about the highways being a bit lonely, as almost all, or so it seems, the residents of Darwin head south for holidays, transfers etc. And they're driving at all hours of the day & night. And of course there'll be trucks too, but they're no drama, they have to stop and have a camp.

Well hope you enjoy the trip, I might even see you on the road somewhere,
Stay safe,

Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 494447

Follow Up By: janice b1 - Monday, Sep 10, 2012 at 12:49

Monday, Sep 10, 2012 at 12:49
Thank you Bob for the information that really does help, also great photo.

FollowupID: 770271

Sponsored Links