A bit of light chit chat on Australian sightings

We have all heard the stories.

Min min lights.
The Yowie.
The sightings of the Black Panthers, or Queensland Tigers.
Bunyips.
UFO's (although that is world wide)
And the list goes on.

An interesting read on the cats can be found here.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/tetrapod-zoology/2012/02/13/williams-and-langs-australian-big-cats/

A read on Yowies.

http://scienceblogs.com/tetrapodzoology/2010/01/19/the-yowie-australian-bigfoot/

With many of us going to some well out of the way places, has any one got any stories of what they have seen? Any photos?

I personally have seen a very large cat, but I think it was more of a feral one than a Panther, although it was the biggest I had seen.

What are some of your thoughts?

Something out there?
Or just a few people that have had a few to many drinks after driving so long?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: gbc - Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 19:24

Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 19:24
When I was working up the cape in the 1980's there were a lot of anecdotal reports of a big cat by the Portland Roads locals. I heard the same thing from too many of them to discount it. These people (literally) had crocodile fences in their back yards and played shoot em ups with palm seed bandits, drug runners and illegal birders so making up stories about pussy cats doesn't sound like something they'd bother about. I saw a dodgy looking plaster cast but it wasn't well done.
AnswerID: 494434

Reply By: equinox - Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 21:21

Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 21:21
Twice now I have seen 3 lights in the night sky in triangular formation about a degree across move across the sky.

I have also seen an animal with the head of a pig and the body of a dog run across the front of the vehicle in the Grampians.

Near Tintinara I have seen two animals cross the road which looked like mutant short plump kangaroos, with small front legs. They ran across the road on all fours, they did not hop.

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 494453

Follow Up By: Hairy (WA) - Saturday, Sep 08, 2012 at 11:18

Saturday, Sep 08, 2012 at 11:18
Sounds like a pig dog?
FollowupID: 770134

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Saturday, Sep 08, 2012 at 06:50

Saturday, Sep 08, 2012 at 06:50
A few years ago we free camped near the site of the Min Min Hotel...hoping to see 'the lights'. We didn't..... but it was still a memorable camp spot with huge starry skies and total silence...wonderful!

While travelling around Tassie, we discussed the remote possibility that the thylacine (Tasmanian tiger) might not be extinct after all, and could be hiding in a remote uninhabited region....just wishful thinking I guess!
Too many of our native animals and birds are going that way (extinct) because of the increasing feral cat population unfortunately...such a national tragedy.

regards,

Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 494469

Reply By: pop2jocem - Saturday, Sep 08, 2012 at 09:46

Saturday, Sep 08, 2012 at 09:46
Speaking of feral cats, we saw the biggest one I have ever seen cross the road up near Exmouth. No it wasn't a panther or anything but definetly a cat, we saw it early one morning but quite light. The bloody thing was about the size of a border collie/kelpie cross we had. I've seen a few feral cats in my travels but this one was the biggest by far.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 494481

Reply By: Hairy (WA) - Saturday, Sep 08, 2012 at 11:23

Saturday, Sep 08, 2012 at 11:23
Gday,
During the week I heard a story about a 3.0lt Nissan Patrol clocking up a 100,000km.........but when I went to investigate I found it was on its second engine!
AnswerID: 494487

Follow Up By: Member -Toonfish - Wednesday, Sep 12, 2012 at 22:55

Wednesday, Sep 12, 2012 at 22:55
gold!
2013/14 around oz adventure bound

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 770443

Reply By: MobiCondo - Saturday, Sep 08, 2012 at 20:58

Saturday, Sep 08, 2012 at 20:58
Min Min Centre in Boulia is interesting!
A couple of personal experiences now -
The 1st in TiTree scrub east of Stuart Highway on sandy track, after dark and two bright white luminous "eyes" jump up off the track right in front of the Bull bar. Had us with hair on end until we realised they were the spots on the under side of Spotted Night Jar wings - Phew!
The 2nd was when we scared the Bunyips out of the Darling river when we decided to have a good bush wash next to our swag. Two large-ish people starkers as we dried off - and so the White Belugas were too scary for the Bunyip, thats why no Bunyips are seen near TILPA any more!
Cheers - Mobi
AnswerID: 494520

Sponsored Links