turbo

Submitted: Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 17:13
ThreadID: 97888 Views:1676 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
after advice on turbo charging diesel motor in an hzj75 tojo, with a 1hz motor.
or; is it better to go for the complete motor & transmission out of a later model, that comes already charged?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: racinrob - Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 18:12

Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 18:12
You'll get positive advice either way, I turbo'd my 1hzj at 150Ks and the only regret I have is that I didn't do it sooner. I now have 350Ks trouble free kilometres on the clock and it still runs like new. I use it as my work truck and for towing a 2 tonne 'van.

rr
AnswerID: 494430

Follow Up By: Rod L1 - Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 18:20

Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 18:20
thanks for your prompt reply. did it have an intercooler installed as well?
FollowupID: 770109

Follow Up By: racinrob - Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 20:24

Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 20:24
RodL1. The shop that installed the (water cooled DTS) turbo advised me that the small advantage of an intercooler wasn't worth the extra expense. I don't know about the 3" exhaust....
rr
FollowupID: 770120

Reply By: Bigfish - Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 18:46

Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 18:46
Had my troopy done 2 years ago. Pulls very well now and tows heaps better. Definately worthwhile doing and I personally dont think the extra cost of the intercooler is worth it. Also make sure you only get mild boost for the turbo. Less strain means longer life. Just do it mate....you,ll be so happy you did1
AnswerID: 494432

Reply By: Sludgie W.A - Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 19:46

Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 19:46
Hello turbo, what are you trying to achieve? Do you want to change the transmission as well or just get better low down capacity? What cost will you incur from a complete transfer from a later model and to what is this going into? I put a Safari turbo onto my 1995 75 series troopy at 200,000 km and at 385,00o km it still runs superbly. There is more zip in the lower rev range although I don't think the fuel economy is any better,(maybe something do do with the right foot) with the 3inch exhaust the higher speed overtaking etc is much better.
I have often thought of an inter cooler but for 5 to 10 percent advertised increase I can't warrant the extra expense.

Sludgie
AnswerID: 494440

Reply By: Member - Walter H (WA) - Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 23:12

Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 23:12
G'day Rod ,Yes i had my 1HZ turboed which certainly made a difference and then i made the the decision to fit the front mount water to air intercooler and which made even more difference,but the key to longevity is keeping the EGT's down as its the extra heat that will reduce the life of the motor, for mine runs a comfortable 12 pounds of boost and has ample power and torque thru the rev range and my EGT's have never exceeded 400 which well below the recommended 550 that is suppose to be the max that the 1HZ can handle,but your cooling system must be in A1 condition and you might need to up grade your radiator to a heavy duty one as the turbo will generate more heat .

Hope this helps
AnswerID: 494465

Follow Up By: Rod L1 - Saturday, Sep 08, 2012 at 08:54

Saturday, Sep 08, 2012 at 08:54
g'day to everyone who responded to my query,
thankyou all. it will surely be of help to me to go shopping with this sort of ammunition in my belt. still open to suggestions & aneccdotes though, every little bit helps. again, thank you.
FollowupID: 770130

Reply By: pop2jocem - Saturday, Sep 08, 2012 at 10:41

Saturday, Sep 08, 2012 at 10:41
Hi Rod L, (what a great name)

I did the engine/transmission swap with my HZJ75, but in my case I plan to keep my old girl (and my ute...lol) for at least another 5 years and will be towing 2 1/2 tonnes of caravan around Oz. From what I have seen you will get as many good luck as horror stories re turboing the 1HZ. If you choose that way don't get too enthusiastic with the max fuel screw, install boost pressure and exhaust temp gauges, keep the boost at around 10-12 psi and the exhaust temp (post turbo) below about 450 c. I know they are expensive but I would fit an intercooler just for longivety issues rather than any power increase. It's not so much boost that is the killer but high exhaust temps. Also make sure that all your cooling system components, radiator, thermostat, water pump, fan hub, hoses and belts are A1.
What year is your Cruiser? If it is older than about 1998 have a look at what gearbox it has. The later ones had the R151F and they were a bit light on for power upgrades. If the car has done a few k's it might be an idea to have it checked out and while it is out and have a look at the clutch while it is out. If you are not towing anything of any great weight I think the original gearbox can be upgraded a bit and should be OK.
Anyway good luck with whatever you decide and enjoy.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 494486

Follow Up By: Rod L1 - Sunday, Sep 09, 2012 at 15:10

Sunday, Sep 09, 2012 at 15:10
g'day pop2jocem,
thankyou for that info. i'll have to check up on the type of box it is, because it is not the original box. box & transfer case had been totally trashed in mine, by previous owner.
a pto winch had been fitted to the t/fer case via a shaft. no need to describe the consequences.
i was advised by a friend to fit an intercooler, he knows the weight of work trailer i pull around all the time.(3 tonne +)which will also have to be considered with the gear box as well.
if you have any further advise concerning the gear box & the weight it will be subjected to, feel free to dispense it.
kind regards, rod.
FollowupID: 770219

Sponsored Links