Electric brakes

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 17, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 979 Views:1679 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am fitting an electric brake controller and I would like to know the current drain of a pair of electric brakes. I am wiring up the controller as I intend purchasing an off road camper van Jayco or similar and I am after this info to determine wire and fuse size.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ray - Wednesday, Apr 17, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Apr 17, 2002 at 00:00
The experts told me to use a self resetting circuit breaker and not a fuse. This was also in my controller manual. Can't remember the size, 15 or 20 amps.
AnswerID: 2908

Reply By: P.G. (Tas) - Thursday, Apr 18, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Apr 18, 2002 at 00:00
Maurie, read the installation manual that comes with your brake controller. I use a Techonsha Explorer, and that manual recommends a 20 amp resettable circuit breaker for 2 brakes (Single Axle), or 30 amp for 4 brakes (Tandem Axle). The use of fuses for this purpose is specifically forbidden. My setup consists of a 20 amp resttable circuit breaker with 30 amp, 6mm, wiring. Remember the longer the wire run the more voltage loss you will have. My LC 100 has 14.4v at the battery & 13.9v at the trailer plug (engine running). I hope this helps. Cheers!
AnswerID: 2929

Follow Up By: Nigel - Friday, Apr 19, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Apr 19, 2002 at 00:00
Have you had any problems with the manual slide on your explorer? I accidentally bumped mine with my knee and knocked the slide off and I can't get it to clip back on and the auto electrician that sold it to me doesn't want to know about it.
FollowupID: 1139

Reply By: P.G. (Tas) - Friday, Apr 19, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Apr 19, 2002 at 00:00
Nigel, this is my third unit! The previous two were replaced under warranty with no hassles within 6 months of each other. They were dealer fitted to a 1996 XG Falcon ute. I was told Ford use some different way of wiring their brake lights/switch and this was thought to have upset the units! Since then, the unit I have now, has been replanted in a Prado and then again into my 100 series without a hitch or a faultering moment. I have driven my knee into it on a number of occassions and it has survived better than me on each occassion and has again been relocated out of the way. As far as breaking yours is concerned, if it was fitted by an auto electrician then I would have thought it would become their obligation/responsibility to correct the installation and repair the unit if it was mounted in such a way as to cause contact and/or injury! If you installed it yourself, there's probably not a lot you can do about it, other than replace it yourself. Hope this helps. Cheers!
AnswerID: 2949

Sponsored Links