The best laid plans of mice and men do go awry!

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 08, 2012 at 14:23
ThreadID: 97901 Views:3733 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
First off thank you to all the members who gave me advice regarding the Trans Line & Connie Sue for my planned recent trip via that route to Warburton and the GCR.Well we never got there!

As John Steinbeck said the best laid plans do go awry.
1st off the planned start for Saturday 18th Aug became Sunday 19th. Reason being my new 2nd spare tyre didn't arrive at the tyre outlet until Friday and that totally stuffed up my packing etc.

So off we go get to Coolgardie and my mobile starts pinging - 2 missed calls from a sat phone. Message from my Track Care mate Ben out at Warakurna saying that the water trailer's springs are busted and can we pick up a new set in Kalgoorlie. @#it there goes the plan of doing the Trans line etc.

Pick up the said springs first thing Monday morning and off we go. Camped Monday night in a great little spot about 60Km short of Tjukayirla RH. So far the corrugations aren't too bad. The odd bad bit but bearable.

Called into Tj for some breakfast but no fuel. Have been told that Tjukayirla's fuel is the dearest on the GCR.

From Tj to Warburton the road conditions where terrible. We used every bit of the road to try and find as smooth a path through the corrugations and at times deep sand. Then we hit the road works -YAY good on ya fellas.

The Warburton Creek is flowing and there is water over the floodway. Good seeing as it hasn't rained since February; I'm told. Refuelled at Warburton - $2.38/L Diesel & Opal.

Road conditions were a mixed bag from here to Warakurna with the odd totally crap bits and some like silk. Fuel at Warakurna -$2.30/L

I was expecting the leaf springs on the Troopy to be harsh but the car handled the dreadful corrugations well.

If anybody has read the recent edition of Western 4WDriver and read Nick's comments about the Micky T Baja ATZ tyres he's right on the money as I experienced exactly the same as he described. These wide tyres had me all over the shot as soon as they found a wheel rut they wanted to stick in them and I didn't steer as such but controlled the car.

Anyway I digress. 2nd day at the Desert Discovery camp I here this almighty rattle under the car from the exhaust. On careful inspection we find that the main support bracket on my brand new exhaust system has completely sheered through. Bloody corrugations, oh well fencing wire to the rescue.

Had a great time over the next week or so but last Wednesday week ago looked under the car and fuel is dripping out of my brand new 157L long range tank. You can imagine what I was thinking. Surprisingly I didn't swear. When I scraped of the paint over the dripping spot it basically made matters worse. The tank has a small split in the middle of the tank and what we think is that an internal baffle has been flexing and just like when you bend a can the metal has fractured. We tried using metal putty but it was NBG so I weighed up the options and considered that the best course of action was to get back to Perth ASAP and get it repaired or replaced under warranty as I need the car fully serviceable by the end of September for Aus Safari.

What did I say about best laid plans - intention for the day was a drive around the Schwerin Mural Crescent Range and Vladimar Pass with EO member David T & his wife.

Also had planned to do the Connie Sue and Trans Continental Line track in reverse. But who would want to do it when I'm dribbling fuel from one end and guzzling it at the other.

So off we go back to Perth with our tails between our legs so to speak. catch up with Phil Bianch & John Bass at Warakurna while filling up and also a couple of other Track Care members who are also going to Desert Discovery.

Corrugations have miraculously improved I drive the first 100km and then my mate takes over. 32 Km from Warburton he wakes me from my slumber with the words "we have trouble". Get out of the car and the rear driver's side tyre is shredded, my mate must have found a sharp rock or three. We considered plugging but we would have been short by about 10,000 plugs. LOL

To add insult to injury I had left the hi-lift jack at home opting for my 10T multi stage bottle jack. Mate crawls under and has to dig under the diff to get the jack in place. Road surface was damned hard and it was nearing midday so hot as well.Well the jack didn't have enough lift in the first stage so I jammed large flat stones under the shredded tyre and wheel. Lowered the jack and wound up the spline. We then had enough lift to change the wheel.

Finally arrived home at 11.30am last Saturday. Sunday morning I wake up with a doozy of a head cold - which I still have. Great!

Monday phoned ORE about the tank and also the exhaust place. Exhaust repaired that afternoon at no cost to me. ORE reported that the company over east that had made the tank are building me a new tank and will arrive here next Thursday. No charge as it's all under warranty.

New tyre was the only outlay $345.

All up a fantastic trip and experience albeit somewhat modified by circumstance.

Had the opportunity to witness some fantastic scientific research, visit places normally forbidden, meet the TO's and have a great day trip with some of these local TO's along a portion of the Carnegie Range. So all was not lost.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Saturday, Sep 08, 2012 at 14:33

Saturday, Sep 08, 2012 at 14:33
Sorry Phil missed the 'i' off the end of your name & John's should be double 'a' not double 's'. And here should be hear.

Dunc

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 494493

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Sep 08, 2012 at 15:35

Saturday, Sep 08, 2012 at 15:35
Never mind Dunc, at least you got "Tjukayirla" right, and that's the hard one! LOL

And they say that trouble "comes in threes"....... or is it "fours"?

Are you now considering Tyre Pressure Monitors?

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 770148

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Saturday, Sep 08, 2012 at 16:17

Saturday, Sep 08, 2012 at 16:17
Not an immediate priority Allan, maybe something to consider for the future. Interestingly enough I was told that some of the TO's are using them on their vehicles as flats are a constant headache no matter where you call home.
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 770151

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Sep 08, 2012 at 16:26

Saturday, Sep 08, 2012 at 16:26
Great gadget Dunc.Mine has saved me from ruining a tyre on two occasions so far.
Being the internal type transmitters they also allow me to keep a constant eye on both pressure and temperature as road conditions and speed change. "Wouldn't leave home without it". LUMS

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 770152

Reply By: Mikee5 - Sunday, Sep 09, 2012 at 11:31

Sunday, Sep 09, 2012 at 11:31
Great yarn Dunc, thanks for sharing. Could I offer a suggestion with the jack? I saw in the photos there were some rocks available. If you drive the flat wheel up onto a rock you may get the clearance you need under the diff without digging. Also this method means the jacking may not need to be done in stages. I was told this hint after jacking using the standard toyota screw jack once - never too old to learn.
Mike.
AnswerID: 494556

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Sunday, Sep 09, 2012 at 12:30

Sunday, Sep 09, 2012 at 12:30
Hi Mike, tried that but the tyre was that far gone that it just scattered the rocks. Also tried to use rocks to ramp up onto the top of my second spare but all that did was push the spare and rocks along the road. To make matters worse it was hot and I wasn't feeling the best.

Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 770210

Reply By: gke - Monday, Sep 10, 2012 at 12:58

Monday, Sep 10, 2012 at 12:58
Hi Duncan, nice meeting you- have you got a hat yet?? :)) Cheers, Graham.
AnswerID: 494634

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Monday, Sep 10, 2012 at 14:47

Monday, Sep 10, 2012 at 14:47
Likewise. Cheeky bugger, you know I was wearing one.

Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 770278

Reply By: Life Member - Phil B (WA) - Thursday, Sep 13, 2012 at 21:03

Thursday, Sep 13, 2012 at 21:03
Gee Dunc; you don't muck about in having problems do you? What rotten luck!

Although it was great to bump into each other at Giles - it was a shame you had to make haste for home.

Re your tyre, did it blow or did you have a puncture and it got mangled before you could stop? It sure looks a mess.
A tip with the bottle jack, I carry two one to get a partial lift and the other to finish off the lift. This also provides a safety margin of having two jacks. I use two bottle jacks because the Toyo jack is too hard for a weakling like me to crank those last few turns to get a rear wheel of a loaded cruiser off the ground.

We had a great time with the crew at DD and met a number of EOites including Graham and David. However like you we had a few problems
* a mega electrical fire in battery box on camper caused by the Anderson plug being pulled out of the socket and after umpteen kms of hitting the road it disintegrated leaving two bare wires, one very much live - you can guess the rest!
* a munched poly block on the Trig coupling.
Managed to bodgie up fixes to get us power and sort out the hitch to get us home.

Sorry we couldn’t have a few yarns – I was looking forward to them.

Hope all is sorted and Aust safari is a more enjoyable trip.

cheers

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 494825

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 00:17

Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 00:17
Hi Phil, looks like we both had some calamities. I'll give you a call tomorrow and we can compare notes.

Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 770515

Sponsored Links