Cape York

we are planning a trip to Cape York next year and looking for someupto date info on the Development Road/Bamaga road to the tip. We would like to take out 17ft caravan with us. Is this a possiobility or what are everyones thought on this idea.
We have done a lot of travelling on unsealed roads with the caravan and know it is fairly sturdy.
Any ideas will be a help!

Ted & Myra
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Patrol22 - Sunday, Sep 09, 2012 at 15:19

Sunday, Sep 09, 2012 at 15:19
I've just come back from the Cape (currently in Cairns for a bit of R & R). The PDR is in pretty good shape but from just south of Laura (where they are in the process of building a huge high level bridge) there are sections of quite serious corrugations. Not a lot mind you but enough that would deter me from taking a standard caravan on this road. IMHO I would not take the van past Lakeland (maybe onto Laura if the roadworks are completed in the next 12 months). If it is a purpose built off road van - hey then go for it....there are quite a few up there.
AnswerID: 494573

Follow Up By: Woody40 - Sunday, Sep 09, 2012 at 16:22

Sunday, Sep 09, 2012 at 16:22
Thanks for the update. Did you tow a caravan, if so what sort was it? Ours is a Gazal Infinity and we have been over some rough roads with no damage such as the road from Booroola to Bourktown, highway 1 it is called and it is all gravel. We took it slow but was a good drive and the van stood up remarkably well with no damage! Thanks for your help
FollowupID: 770224

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Sunday, Sep 09, 2012 at 20:47

Sunday, Sep 09, 2012 at 20:47
I towed my off road Kanga Campertrailer and it handled the road conditions well. The road to the Cape should be OK if early in the season for a normal caravan but I have to say that if it was my van and NOT specifically designed for off road conditions then I wouldn't take it past Lakeland/Laura. Believe me the corrugations can get really serious and recovery can be time consuming and expensive. Apart from the corrugations you will have to contend with the dust and it will get into everything. I've recently done a west to east crossing of Australia as well and this is another trip I simply would not take a trailer/caravan on unless it was off road engineered.
FollowupID: 770243

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Sep 09, 2012 at 20:56

Sunday, Sep 09, 2012 at 20:56
Although this is not up-to-date information, but when we travelled the roads that you mentioned, the road from Booroola to Bourktown was a piece of cake compared to the corrugated northern areas of the PDR.

We do not tow for just this reason. You are limited by your vans capabilities.

I agree with Patrol22.
FollowupID: 770244

Sponsored Links