help needed for understanding a PWM solar charge controller, HH-10A

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 13, 2012 at 16:58
ThreadID: 97996 Views:8198 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have just bought a new 120W portable solar panel, the instructions are hard to follow. The setting Table of operation Mode has a lot of LED displays. I don't understand what they mean by " Light-off open + 2 hour delay"
There are LED displays ranging from 1 hour delay to 13 hour delay.
Others codes are H or H. manual mode
C Universal charger mode
L Pure light control mode
D Debug mode.
I will be using this with an anderson plug to charge the second battery in the Patrol when running the engal, if stopped at a camp site for a few days with out driving. I was also going to use the anderson plug on van to also charge the 2 X 110 amp batteries using the portable panel.
I have a 135 W panel on the caravan roof, but found that when camping in summer and running my engal on freeze the batteries ran down as the panel was in shade for most of the day. Hopefully the portable willassist to keep the batteries charged.

I guess that I run it on H.
Any help will be appreciated.
thanks Hugh
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Sep 13, 2012 at 20:59

Thursday, Sep 13, 2012 at 20:59
Hi Hugh,
I have had 3 different types of solar regulator 2 of which have LCD displays.
The three distinct categories on them are Bulk, Absorb, and Float.

These three categories can be individually set to suit the different battery types but those things you quoted seem foriegn to me.

Looks to me like 'C' is the charger mode. For the time being I would go with 'C'.

What does your book say on it.
Have you paid a considerable sum for the regulator ?.
In other words is it a cheapy that you can you ditch it for a better one?.

That is the best advice I can give so far.

Not much help, but there you go.

Cheers, Bruce
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 494823

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Sep 13, 2012 at 23:15

Thursday, Sep 13, 2012 at 23:15
Can you post the make and model of your solar controller. Without that most of us will not have a clue. If we can find an instruction manual on the web you will have more chance of getting an answer.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 494830

Reply By: ray t1 - Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 10:00

Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 10:00
morning bush camper, i bought 240 watt solar panels with pwm controller, i got no info at all, & couldnt find any thing about it on the net, i would run with bruce & get another brand, cheers
AnswerID: 494848

Follow Up By: BUSH CAMPER - Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 16:19

Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 16:19
I finally got into contact with the supplier, and difficult to understand, but basically said to have the controller set on C to charge,
Still couldn't get an understanding of other functions on controller, other settings must have something to do with delay start or stops.
Will chase up a sparky friend to see if he can help me understand the full functions.
FollowupID: 770549

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 17:56

Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 17:56
Bush Camper I have a section on one of my controllers which allows me to turn a load on and off at specific times, as the other responder said, a light, or any other load one would want intermittently powered.

Perhaps that is what yours is suggesting. Go with the C program as your supplier advised and the rest might fall into place if you come across someone who has a similar setup to you.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 770558

Reply By: Rangiephil - Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 16:50

Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 16:50
From my reading and my controller , these are usually to turn a light ( eg a solar powered street light) on after dusk and off at dawn.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 494882

Sponsored Links