Transferring caravan ownership between states

Submitted: Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 18:21
ThreadID: 98021 Views:15014 Replies:7 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hope someone can help me here - we have found a very nice caravan which we are keen to buy but it's licensed in NSW and we live in WA. (the caravan is currently here in WA and is a private sale). Our concerns are :-
1. Can the current owners transfer the NSW license to us as residents of WA ?
2. If 1 above is possible, do we pay NSW transfer and stamp duty even though we don't live in NSW ?
3. What happens if we can't get the NSW ownership transferred ? Do we take it straight to a WA licensing authority ? If so, what paperwork do we need ?
4. Any other pitfalls we should be aware of ?
Any comments welcomed.
Old Mal
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 18:26

Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 18:26
It can't be transferred to an interstate purchaser, the current owner should cancel the registration & you buy a permit to tow it home & then register it & pay stamp duty, if applicable, in your home State.

You will need teh previous registered number & a bill of sale or receipt showing full details of the vehicle & previous owner.
AnswerID: 494892

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 20:01

Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 20:01
When I bought a SA registered van and brought it back to NSW. The owner gave me a receipt for the amount paid and filled out the transfer section on the SA papers, signed it, kept his section to go to the SA RTA and gave me my section. When I got the van home to NSW (2 weeks later) I went through the NSW process of having the van inspected as being unregistered, then went to the NSW RTA who cancelled the SA rego and took their plate. They then reissued me with NSW rego and charged the way they do up here. lol
If you check with your state registration body it would surely be similar but no where near as expensive. Cheers,Bob.
AnswerID: 494906

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 20:14

Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 20:14
"but no where near as expensive"

You sure said a mouthful there Bob.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 770574

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 20:44

Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 20:44
Yeh Bruce,tell me about it. My brother's 24ft Baroma is around $120 in WA. My 22ft van is over $400 in NSW. Bob
FollowupID: 770582

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 21:27

Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 21:27
I have been told that our 23 ft van costs about $36 in Vic.
Mate has his 5th wheeler registered in Vic for around $36.
They must all be around $36 in Vic.

makes you want to ...well... cry. LOL

Cheers, Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 770589

Reply By: Albi M - Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 21:22

Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 21:22
It is one of the best information given by you.
AnswerID: 494915

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 23:06

Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 23:06
Hi Old Mal

It may be harder or easier for you with the caravan already being in WA. Have you contacted the WA licensing authorities and asked them how it will work for you? I suspect red tape will still apply and you will need to have the vendor post the license transfer to NSW, they will then bill you. Most states abandoned stamp duty on trailers and WA followed this some years ago, however it appears that NSW still charge stamp duty at $3 per $100 value. There may be the possibility of getting the vendor to de-licence the caravan and you start from scratch to get it licensed here, but that would need to be checked and costed thoroughly. The rego and transfer papers are a good proof of correct ownership.

We purchased interstate (from Qld) and had the rego transferred to us there, using the vendors home as our residential address and giving our WA postal address, and on return we had three months to get the caravan inspected and licensed in WA. It was a bonus as at that time WA had a hefty stamp duty on trailers, whilst Qld had none. It sort of covered our fuel costs to go and get it from Qld.

Do post back onto the forum what works for you in the end.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 494920

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Saturday, Sep 15, 2012 at 18:19

Saturday, Sep 15, 2012 at 18:19
Hi Mother Hen,

No stamp duty on caravans in NSW. They dropped it a year or 2 back.

Cheers, Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 770638

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Sep 15, 2012 at 19:06

Saturday, Sep 15, 2012 at 19:06
Thanks Bruce

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 770645

Follow Up By: auzinomad - Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 13:09

Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 13:09
If the owners are willing to transfer the Rego to a WA one all they have to do is to prove they have owned the van for MORE than 1 YEAR, This can be proved by having the rego papers that show they have owned it over a year, like the previous year's papers.
All they're up for is the paper work and plate costs.
I could easily be added to the cost of the van.
Having done that when I sold my old van I was surprised it was so easy after getting all sorts of ''advise''.

Ron
FollowupID: 770672

Follow Up By: auzinomad - Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 13:24

Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 13:24
Then transfer the rego of the van when you actually buy it.
We did this when I bought my current van that was rego'd in Vic.
FollowupID: 770674

Reply By: disco driver - Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 23:59

Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 23:59
Old Mal,
A few years ago I bought a NSW registered caravan in Karratha and almost immediately towed it,on the NSW plates, back to Geraldton (where I lived then).
I took the NSW licence papers and the receipt from the NSW owner to the licencing people in Gero, handed in the NSW plates and relicenced it immediately onto WA plates. I lost the balance of the NSW registration of course.
It required an inspection and a Statutory Declaration, duly witnessed, from me stating that I purchased the said van from the named previous owner stating the price paid and date of purchase.
Of course I had to pay to relicence it in WA but it wasn't excessive.
It took less than 2 hours do do it all, but it's probably not that easy now.

Good Luck

Disco.
AnswerID: 494922

Reply By: tonysmc - Saturday, Sep 15, 2012 at 15:27

Saturday, Sep 15, 2012 at 15:27
Mal,

as the van is already in WA the process will be very easy. Just fill out the form with a owner and the stamp duty will be paid only to WA. Stamp duty is always only paid to the state the vehicle is registered in. Which in your case will be WA once you purchase it.
Here is the form http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/LBU_F_VL_MR9_VehicleTransfer.pdf
I have purchased various vehicles interstate over the years and about to buy another so have been through the process.

Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 494961

Follow Up By: tonysmc - Saturday, Sep 15, 2012 at 15:31

Saturday, Sep 15, 2012 at 15:31
Sorry I forgot to mention pitfalls. Be certain to do a REVS check.
FollowupID: 770631

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Saturday, Sep 15, 2012 at 17:04

Saturday, Sep 15, 2012 at 17:04
hi tony and old mal
revs check was changed to a national data system called ppsr (personel propertys securities register) on 25th jan 2012
but after going on google still not clear on whether it cover caravans and trailers as it only seems to mention mortor vehicles and motorbikes its $9.90 and gives

encumberance check
stolen vehicle check
written off check
vehicle details
rego details
and
ppsr certificate
cheers barry
FollowupID: 770635

Reply By: blown4by - Saturday, Sep 15, 2012 at 17:35

Saturday, Sep 15, 2012 at 17:35
There is no stamp duty in WA on Caravans or Camper Trailers and hasn't been for some years. You don't say if the Van is in WA or NSW now and where the current owners live. If they live in WA and have had the van registered in their name continuously for 12 months and it still is registered then they can transfer to rego to WA without an examination being required. They then fill out WA transfer papers and tranfer it you you without examination just like any vehicle transfer where the vehicle is registered in WA and has not expired by more than 3 months. If the van is in NSW you will need to get the owners to fill out NSW transfer papers (which is your proof of ownership) but be aware that upon sale the van is no longer registered for use by you even if it still has plates attached and rego left on it. To tow it to WA you will need a temporary movement permit for each State you travel though and whilst some others States will tell you their TMP is legal for use in WA it is not. Reason being a TMP is a permit, not a license. You can purchase TMP's for 48 hours in WA on-line with a credit card 24/7. If it needs examination in WA you can book at any of the 4 metro examinatioin centres. The examination is about 100 bucks for a van with brakes and you will likely need another TMP about 21 bucks for day of the examinatiions. You will need proof of ownership, proof of prior registration is good to have also and proof of your ID which would normally be your WA MDL.
The list of what is checked is quite extensive and I would recommend you read VSB1 as a guide or visit an examination centre for advice. You will find them very helpful. As a guide everything fitted by the manufacturer must be compliant and operating in terms of lighting, brakes, tyres, suspension, wheel bearings, LPG certification and LPG safety decals for each LPG appliance fitted, safety chains, shackles, within dimensions, tow coupling, etc.
If it has electric brakes make sure you tow it to the examination with a vehicle with an electric brake controller
AnswerID: 494968

Sponsored Links