12 volt camper trailer set up

Submitted: Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 18:33
ThreadID: 98023 Views:7238 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I have just purchased a used 'x-trail' off road camper and was wanting to set it up electrically. It currently has a very basic setup of an anderson plug to the draw bar (vehicle) which supplies three differen led strip lights at the rear/kitchen of camper and a couple of 12v cig lighter outlets. I was hoping to setup the trailer as to be self sufficient for a long weekend or thereabouts, with powering a waeco cf-80 and some lighting. I was assuming, a 125ah agm battery with some type of smart charger etc. I am aware that i will struggle with a 125ah agm to power me for more than 2 or 3 days especially in warmer months but i am prepared to top up the batteries via the car (anderson plug) to get me through the weekend, or even a generator, hence the smart charger. When I have the luxury of a powered site, i want to be able to plug 240v into a plug in the side of the camper (via smart charger) and use it as a constant supply.
So, i am kindly asking for advice/suggestions on wiring setup/diagrams, specific products to use etc. I have been looking at a Projecta IC2500 7 stage automatic smart charger with the remote monitor????? Is this the right horse for this course?

As you have probably already noticed, i am a beginner at all this so i am sifting through the mountains of info on the net and trying to see what applies to me.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 20:37

Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 20:37
Hi JTD,

Most people do not realise that a solar regulator is virtually a smart charger.

The continually read the battery and supply a charge accordingly.

My advice is get athe largest solar panel you can safely fit on the camper, if you can find enough space that is, and use that as it will be cheaper than a smart charger and a generator.

Check out ebay as the price of panels is falling all the time. A 20 or 30 amp regulator will set you back about $90 and a 200 watt panel, if you have the space, will set you back around $250. Wiring is straight forward, if you have the basic knowledge. This should run all you have mentioned and later on you can add another battery if you wish.
I tried to include a diagram of the simple circuit but seem not to be able to do it.
You can send me an email if you wish and I will return email the diagram to you.
My email address is = alanvale at skymesh dot com dot au.

At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 494911

Follow Up By: Albi M - Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 21:19

Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 21:19
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Spamming Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 770586

Follow Up By: JTD - Saturday, Sep 15, 2012 at 08:42

Saturday, Sep 15, 2012 at 08:42
Thanks Bruce.

If i went down the solar path, am i still able to run the system off mains 240 if im on a powered site? One thing i want to try and avoid is connecting/disconnecting, and chopping and changing leads/plugs to change from different supply sources, ie, vehicle charge, solar, mains 240v, or even generator for whatever reason?
FollowupID: 770605

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Saturday, Sep 15, 2012 at 09:08

Saturday, Sep 15, 2012 at 09:08
JTD,
Modern caravans, motorhomes and campers are set up entirely on 12 volts and the 240 only powers a modern multi stage battery charger, as well as microwave and airconditioning. Every thing else runs off 12 volts or gas.

What this means is that you set up the camper for 12 volts. You then run your 240 to a power point which powers up the battery charger to top up the battery and supply house (camper in your case) 12 volt requirements.
Better still, dont run 240 power, just use a lead to the battery charger and this negates the need to have it proffessionally wired.

If you set up solar then, unless you have extended periods of overcast weather, you may never need to hook on to 240 power to top up your batteries.

Note that wiring 240 volts requires an electricians licence and there are very special requirements for mobile power, eg caravans, motorhomes, campers and the like. All power points have to be double pole etc.

Best thing about 12 volts is you do not have too worry with small kids around it.

It all depends on what you want to do in the way of 240 appliances on the camper but I would keep it simple and try and avoid 240 except for the battery charger. If you get a battery charger get the biggest you can afford, at least 15 amps and 25 amps if you can afford but it must be multi stage for the sake of your batteries. In this manner there is only 1 lead going to 1 appliance and no special requirements need to be met.

Hope this helps, ask any question if in doubt. Remember the only stupid question is the one that did not get asked.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 770607

Sponsored Links