Isralite bay to eyre

I require recent info on the Beach/ dunes run from Isrelite Bay to eyre, There are two of us that wish to do this run and require recent information on conditions that we may encounter. I am well aware of the need to have correct tyre pressures etc but just need current info from somebody who has done it recently. We are travelling in V8 troopies and have winches and recovery gear and plenty of experience on remote area travel and sand/beach driving.

thanks john
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - VickiW - Saturday, Sep 15, 2012 at 19:38

Saturday, Sep 15, 2012 at 19:38
Hi sorry I can't help with recent conditions - did this drive a few years ago. But I'd stress it is important to know tide times and weather conditions. You really only want to do it with some parts (past the dunes primarily as I remember) with low tide & no storms. But I found it one of the most beautiful and remote feeling trips - although a bit stressful with water height for some of it, particuarly as we were by ourselves.
Just thinking of it makes me want to go back - have a great time.
Vicki
AnswerID: 494976

Reply By: member - mazcan - Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 14:16

Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 14:16
hi exmouth 1
cant give lastest update but had alook on
www.dec.wa.gov.au
no track closures at present in that area
there is however some good imfo on the eyre bird observatory and accomodation etcmay be of interest to you
cheers
AnswerID: 495021

Reply By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 16:39

Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 16:39
Been about 4 years since I've done this one. As always, the seaweed at the western end of the beach run Israelite - Pt Culver is a problem. On the last trip, there was impassible seaweed from Israelite to Wattle Camp, but I was travelling from the east when there was a neap tide. Best to pick your time when you have the highest/lowest tides, and travel at low tide.
Failing that, you could take the old telegraph track from Israelite to Wattle Camp, then move onto the beach via an access track, but expect lots of scratches on your vehicles. But that track will be impassible if there has been rain, as there are salt lakes. This stopped us doing Wattle Camp - Israelite, as there was 100mm deep water on the salt lakes.
Also, this time of year can present a quite short beach with soft sand following winter, and November onwards is a better time. As you're probably aware, you have to follow the telegraph track past Pt Lorenzen before tackling the beach. You follow the coast track as marked on the 250k topo map as far as you can then find a safe track thru the weed to the shore.
In good times, we've hit 90km/h on this beach, but in bad times, it's been 10km/h in low range.
At the Pt Culver end, there should be rubber belt matting to help you get up the dunes, but last time, there was a sharp drop at the bottom end due to washout. Clear sailing after that along the top on both smooth and rough rocky limestone. I'm not sure, but I think one can drive right thru on the telegraph track thru Thundlda dunes to the track down to Twighlight Cove, but I've never done it. Otherwise, you turn north to Caiguna near Baxter memorial, then head south at Cocklebiddy or the Eyre turnoff. If taking the beach from Twighlight Cove to Eyre, there is a tricky track through the dunes as rocks block the way on the beach. Contact me on
gezza90 at amnet dot net dot au
if you want waypoints and track files and lots of track notes for the area.
Cheers,
Gerry
AnswerID: 495028

Sponsored Links