Roof racks on Landcruiser 1HZJ-105R

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 10:55
ThreadID: 98042 Views:7103 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks,

I'm looking at finally getting some roof racks for my 105 series Landcruiser. After 7 months of owning the vehicle, I have copped a fair bit of damage to the vinyl in the back already from having all and sundry bouncing around when I am driving on the rough stuff. I've also damaged the tinting on the rear passenger side window and am pretty cross with myself for not sorting roof racks sooner.

I have attached a couple of images of the racks I am considering, they are the Tracklander model racks. I have heard that the full basket type roofrack can increase fuel consumption by up to 20%. I was hoping to get some feedback from folks out there using these type of racks as to whether or not this is true as the 1HZ is not exactly the most fuel economical as it is at up to 15-16 l per 100kms without the racks offroad. I am expecting some difference but 20% for me is unacceptable.

The next type I am considering is the tent topper rack as I still have not decided whether I want a roof top tent or not. At this stage it's not practical as I have nowhere to store it when I'm not using it and I kind of like the freedom of having the ability to jump in the car at a moments notice while at a campsite without having to pack the tent away. I know the process is supposed to be fairly quick but can see it becoming a bit of a ball ache once the novelty of the roof tent wears off, having said that I like the idea of having the option and would be good to get some feedback from folks out there using one of these.

Any adviced greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Craig

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Old Girl - Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 13:10

Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 13:10
Tent topper like you said you might buy the tent. You tie everything down up there anyhow. We have a ARB one with the sides. I wouldnt want to put a tent on top of that, too high. My thoughts.
Sharon
AnswerID: 495012

Follow Up By: Member - Old Girl - Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 13:12

Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 13:12
There it is. Its for sale as the car has turned into a 200 series and the rack wont fit. Ill get around to advertise it.
FollowupID: 770673

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 13:12

Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 13:12
G'day Craig

I can't comment on either of the racks as I have a Rhino set-up, other than I have heard around the traps that full length steel with a continuous gutter strip can sometimes cause problems due to not flexing enough, with consequent cracking of seals at joins in the body and worse (may be a load of crap though).

However I can comment on fuel issues. Quite a few years back we went through the Vic high country. Left the CT at home and loaded up the roof rack with swag + all the other necessaries.

I noted we went through soignificantly more fuel than was the case with an empty rack up top and towing the 1 tonne+ CT.
AnswerID: 495013

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser74 - Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 13:31

Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 13:31
Thanks Rosco,

The thing is that I won't be carrying any more than I usually do it's just that half of it will be up top instead of in the cabin. Things like Hi-lift jack, maxtraxx, shovel, axe, gas bottles, swag, tent, recovery gear etc will go up top and heavier items like water will stay on the floor of the cab. I am assuming that the extra fuel consumption has nothing to do with weight but more drag created by the racks and items up top. I suppose its a necessary trade off as it's already going to cost me getting the tinting replaced on one window and although I'm not too fazed about the damage to the vinyl, it has definitely affected the resale value of the vehicle unless I get it repaired or replaced. The extra fuel cost would likely offset any damge to the interior of the car over time I suppose. Thanks again for your help.

Craig

FollowupID: 770676

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 20:46

Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 20:46
Yep

Definitely increased drag. We were driving a Landy at the time, which has the aerodynamics of a house brick, but the loaded roof rack added significantly.
FollowupID: 770703

Follow Up By: Andrew & Jen - Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 21:43

Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 21:43
Hullo Cruiser74

You might want to check the max weight you can carry on the roof - most are around 100kgs including rack - and estimate the weight of what you intend to load up there.

You list "Things like Hi-lift jack, maxtraxx, shovel, axe, gas bottles, swag, tent, recovery gear" which, when you add them up + the rack, might well be over the specified limit.

Secondly, you might want to give some thought to how you intend to secure the gas bottles to prevent them coming off in an accident. I have seen gas bottles and jerry cans with only ocky straps to "hold" them in place - yikes!
Thirdly, have you given any thought to the all up weight when loaded, including passengers.

I understand that recently SAPOL weighed every 4WD going through Pt Wakefield one day at the beginning of the school holidays, whether just the vehicle, or with a CT or with a caravan. Some 83% were over GVM.

Given that many 4WDs are over their GVM with carrying just a passenger in every seat, it is easy to go over the limit, especially if you have a few extrras such as a bull bar, winch, drawers, etc.

Cheers
Andrew
FollowupID: 770707

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser74 - Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 12:25

Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 12:25
Hi Andrew,

Thanks very much for your advice. I hadn't considered the load limit on the roof and if it's 100kg including the rack I think it would be over for sure. I think the Hi-lift jack would be the heaviest item and I had planned to get a rear bar with wheel carrier at some stage so that could go on the back and I think that would leave me enough kg to have everything else up there as individually the remaining item's don't weigh very much. As for the gas bottle, don't worry I would be certain it wasn't going anywhere and I never use ocky straps for anything!!

I generally don't carry passengers except for my fair lady in the front seat. If I ever do carry more the other gear isn't in the car so thankfully that's not an issue I have to consider.

Cheers

Craig
FollowupID: 770735

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 14:03

Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 14:03
My 1HZ was getting around 15 to 16 Lper100 fully loaded with an ECB alloy roof rack & 285 tyres. Could get worse if you stack gear up high like many do but mine was packed pretty flat in a gear bag. Possibly an increase of 1 to 2 litres.
If considering a roof top tent then the choice between the 2 is obvious although if you have no-where to take it off between trips it will mean 2 to 4 litres extra all the time depending how aerodynamic it is.
Cheers Craig...........
AnswerID: 495019

Follow Up By: Member - Rob K (VIC) - Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 09:21

Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 09:21
Hi Cruiser74,

Like Craig, my 1HZ (turbo + intercooler) with ARB steel roof rack and 265 tyres gets about 15 to 16 l/100kms with the roof rack on top. The vehicle is close to its GVM as well with all the other accessories I've installed over the years, around 3.2 tonnes. When I first got the vehicle with only a steel bull bar added and no turbo etc. it was getting around 13 l/100kms

Hope this helps with your choice.

Cheers
Rob K
FollowupID: 770729

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser74 - Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 12:43

Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 12:43
Thanks Crackles/Rob,

Yep I get abot 13 l per 100kms highway driving with the standard Diesel. It goes up to about 15-16l offroad with the cabin loaded up with all the gear. I was concerned it would be more than that with the roofracks on with some of that gear on top. It wouldn't be stacked too high as would aim to spread it out so it all sits below or at the line of the wind deflector. This would obviously not be the case if I decided on a roof tent and without a turbo I think a roof tent's convenience is outweighed by the increased weight on the roof and effect on torque and fuel consumption.

Thanks again.
FollowupID: 770736

Sponsored Links