Inverter & other goodies on cargo barrier?

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 14:46
ThreadID: 98048 Views:3235 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Fitting out the 5 seat troopy which has Outback drawers installed. After many hours pondering the placement of my inverter and solar regulator, it seems space wise, the best spot could be high on the cargo barrier. Anyone else mounted things up there? Along the side in the rear next to the Engel seems a waste of space, and prone to damage with all the gear we take.

Thoughts?

See you in the dust.
Craig & EJ
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 15:22

Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 15:22
If you mount those items there and open nearby windows to provide cooling airflow to them, sounds like a good idea to me.
Have done similar and also use 12v 0.1amp computer fan to run most of the time to feed air to the fridges so they circulate cooler air. Makes fridges run less often and cooling is enhanced over just circulating cabin temp air. Overall less 12v power when on solar only.
Possibly you can have a small length of ducting to cater for all three.
AnswerID: 495025

Reply By: Member - matt d (SA) - Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 08:06

Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 08:06
Howdy, I have my HF mounted to my Cargo Barrier, even considering my CD Changer Box at the moment, but need to look into the best way of mounting it so that the CD's will still play.
AnswerID: 495064

Reply By: Andrew - Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 14:51

Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 14:51
Hi
Used to have the inverter mounted near the top (on the load side) with the outlet easily accessible when the back door window was slightly open. This let me plug stuff in from outside without scrambling around inside the car and you could see straight away of stuff was plugged in and turned on properly and you could check terminals and fuses easily. Used big zip ties to hold it in place. Got plenty of air around it as both sides are exposed to air and and it stayed cool that way. This worked best with the barrier mounted behind the front seats but still worked when behind the rear seat row.

In a different set up we had a mesh shelf coming back off the cage (made from an old cut up barrier) and hung the inverter under the shelf. All the same cooling advantages but had to open the tailgate to access it.

Never had a problem with gear knocking it, dust build-up or things disconnecting unintentionally. The reason for using Zip ties was ease of disassembly/ reassembly as this vehicle was continually being re configured for other uses.

used to mount the fire extinguisher on the opposite side. While on the floor in front of the drivers seat is the preferred place in this car that was not possible and at least on the barrier was visible and accessible.

We did make sure that every thing we attached was on the load side and not on the people side. That way if anything came loose it was still on the safe side.
Well actually that's not 100% accurate, we did have map pockets on the front so we could reach them while travelling.

regards

A
AnswerID: 495089

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 15:00

Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 15:00
I have my DC/DC Charger, my 240 volt charger and my inverter on my barrier.
Good spot for them, out of the way and east to access.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 495091

Sponsored Links