Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: chisel - Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 22:15

Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 22:15
Do a search and you'll get a million similar threads.
Take some bushmans to help with the march flies, if they are around.
Sun screen. Cold drinks!!
AnswerID: 495128

Follow Up By: Kev - Member - Wynnum - Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 07:57

Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 07:57
Hi,
Don't worry you will see many march/horse flies, January is their time. I suggest lyou take an old fashioned fly swatter for each person and teach the kids how to use them.
Kev
FollowupID: 770780

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 22:58

Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 22:58
Drop your tyre pressures to 18psi, or whatever is your choice, before you cross the beach at Inskip Point to the barge. If you can get through that chewed-up sand you will have no trouble on the island.

Be sure to obtain a tide table and avoid travel within 2 hours before or after high tide. Keep below 80kph and watch for creek crossings on the beach.

Being school holiday time it will be busy with people on the beach, especially children, so be alert for them.

It will be hot, so take hats and sunscreen and plenty of water to drink. Drinks, food and fuel are available on the island but are expensive.

Have a great time mate.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 495131

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 08:06

Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 08:06
Make sure you have time to see the entire island. It is a big place.
On the inland tracks watch out for the tour busses, a few think they own the island and fly along.
The barge from Inskip Point (via Rainbow Beach) is the best way to get to the island, and at or close to low tide is best. You can get all of your permits at Rainbow Beach and there is no need to book your barge, just turn up and like Allan said, lower your tire pressures. The road to Inskip Point is sealed up to the point. That is where you need to lower your pressure, at the end of the bitumen.
Fraser Island is still a wilderness area so watch your children at all times. Dingoes are a problem; just enjoy them from a distance. I repeat, watch your children.
The beach is classified as a road, so you need to obey all road rules.
Central Station is a must and there is a great walk that follows a creek. It is possible to leave people to do the walk and someone can drive to the end to pick everyone up.
Have fun, the island is brilliant and very unique!
Kevin
AnswerID: 495134

Sponsored Links