Ever present kites on Simpson Desert

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 19:58
ThreadID: 98099 Views:1868 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Did anyone of you noticed kites and sometime even other predatory birds flying above your head? Did you wonder why they are there?
No, they do not wait to steal your steak, neither your sausages.
I figured that on Rig Road about ¼ way to Mt. Dare, as we have seen it happening.
As you drive you create above and underground vibrations. Little desert mouse and desert rats get spooked and poor creatures are “running for their lives”…. the predators snap them before they have any chance to even notice them.
It is amazing stuff to see it as it happens.
If you didn't have chance to see it, next time when you on desert, it’s good idea to keep eyes open.
Dana
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mudguard - Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 20:14

Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 20:14
Yep sure did and it was funny to watch when anybody wandered off to the loo, you knew where they were by the circling kites
AnswerID: 495184

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 20:40

Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 20:40
Yep, this year we saw more black kites than I've ever seen before, and there were more long-haired rats than I've ever seen before - pretty friendly creatures - they come out at night and snuggle up to your swag!
AnswerID: 495185

Follow Up By: Litlbalt - Thursday, Sep 20, 2012 at 17:14

Thursday, Sep 20, 2012 at 17:14
Snuggle up to the swag????????? the ones we came across ate our tents.

Back to the kites yes we saw heaps was a good way to find where the children were too.
FollowupID: 770982

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 21:02

Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 21:02
Not just in the Simpson either, Dana.

In my sometime duty as a station grader driver on the Diamantina, I always have plenty of company, at least 2 or 3 kites. If the spur-throated locusts are swarming, they follow closely, to snaffle a snack or two.

The more brazen ones will pinch scraps right from within dinner camp, they are precision class aviators!

One time I climbed a windmill to check the oil, and at the top, put my hand on something cool, soft & furry, It was part of a feral kitten's skin, taken up there by a kite or eagle.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 495190

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 21:51

Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 21:51
Sure were everywhere. Saw lots of dead rats on the track and the camp area was awash with footprints in the mornings. No wonder the kites were around.

Phil

Somewhere around 32 kites in this photo:

Just to show where we were:

And each morning no evidence of our footprints. So much for the adage "Leave only footprints when you leave". Where??

AnswerID: 495198

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Sep 19, 2012 at 08:23

Wednesday, Sep 19, 2012 at 08:23
Simpson Desert is one of the few deserts that's not protected by huge corrugations!

Corrugations are what keeps the deserts pristine.
AnswerID: 495222

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Sep 19, 2012 at 08:25

Wednesday, Sep 19, 2012 at 08:25
Whoops - I thought this was Alan's Simpson Desert thread! I'll go back to the other
FollowupID: 770892

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Sep 19, 2012 at 08:40

Wednesday, Sep 19, 2012 at 08:40
Hi Danna

I can assure you that they are not usually in high numbers like they are at the moment, due in fact to 3 very good seasons out in the desert.

There have been some years when it has not had any water out there for years that you are scratching to see one bird, let alone thousands like now.

Give it time when their prey thins out and the birds will be off for "Greener Pastures" and better picking.

When we went out last year to kayak in the Simpson they were everywhere and here are a few images on their numbers and how close they flew above our heads while watching the sun set from on top of a dune out at Eyre Creek.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 495224

Follow Up By: Danna - Wednesday, Sep 19, 2012 at 10:06

Wednesday, Sep 19, 2012 at 10:06
Guys,
we have seen there on Rig Road biggest wedge-tail eagle in our 11years of travel to the deserts. It must have had at least 3.5m-wing span, but most probably more. We were crossing this big dune with sand blowed on top. This bird gets of the ground just in front of our rig. I was so surprised; in instinct I shielded my head by hand. Then we (my hubby and me) screamed at once “oh Goooood” I have newer seen any predatory bird of this size. I wish to see this spectacle again, since regrettably I wasn’t ready with camera. In Wikipedia’s description is wing-span 2.7m…this bird was lot, lot bigger.

Cheers Dana
FollowupID: 770900

Sponsored Links