Cooper ST Maxx 225/75/16 Feedback

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 20, 2012 at 15:11
ThreadID: 98138 Views:2942 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Just some initial feedback after fitting these tyres to my ute. I have been running various sets of tyres as I have quite a few sets of rims, the last being BFG AT for highway work, prior were Cooper ST and Maxxis Buckshot Mudders for around the farm, so I can give back to back comparisons. All travelled on known roads.
Cooper ST Maxx @ 34psi for highway. Short trip on dirt to get to the highway the car was noticeably showing understeer with me drifting wide on all corners until the tyres 'bit' and then swung me around. A general feeling of the ute wandering. Much harsher ride than other tyres at same psi
Highway use showed the same understeer, wandering and harsh ride.
I think the sidewalls have less flex in them and therefore contribute to the harsh ride and understeer (similar to when I rang Toyo M55s)
From my experience with Coopers they seem to want to run at a few psi lower than other brands, seems more so with these harder sidewalls. I use the 4psi rule and think my Coopers might benefit from 6 psi rule.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Sep 20, 2012 at 17:20

Thursday, Sep 20, 2012 at 17:20
Thats very strange. We also have been using ST Maxx and there is definitely no understeer. 35 front and 40 rear on highway on a laden 100 series. Like I said - strange.

Phil
AnswerID: 495314

Reply By: Jeff P - Thursday, Sep 20, 2012 at 19:17

Thursday, Sep 20, 2012 at 19:17
Just reading between the lines I think I will stick to BFG's or my favourite Toyo's
I did go and speak to a tyre rep about the ST max and he said they were better than Toyo's thats when I thought the guy sounds like a politician !!!
Jeff
AnswerID: 495321

Follow Up By: workhorse - Friday, Sep 21, 2012 at 11:11

Friday, Sep 21, 2012 at 11:11
Hi Jeff.
I dont know if my observations mean I wont use the Coopers but that they might be more suited for my longer trips when fully loaded and probably aimed at harder ground, bitumen/gravel/rock. Im lucky I have other tyres so I can swap them for what I feel they are best suited for. The Cooper sidewales which they claim are stronger would fit in with what I am finding, and seem to have less outward bulging at lower pressures. Again a similar experience I had with the super strong Toyo M55s. I have no allegiance to any particular brand as shown by my current crop of tyres. Ive got a set og BFG Muddies waiting to try next.
FollowupID: 771005

Sponsored Links