Camper toolbox, jerrys, spare and gas storage.

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 20, 2012 at 19:25
ThreadID: 98142 Views:2842 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,
On my cub drifter I'm struggling to work out where to put everything. I have a small drawer bar about 1200mm from the camper front to the coupling. I have already put 2 Jerry holders on the back and the spare wheel. I was going to put a small tool Box (1220 x 400 x 370) on the front and a gas bottle each side. The gas bottles would be just inside the camper width, i could then fit a stone guard to the front.
I spoke to every state and territory today about carrying fuel at the back and front of the camper not one said it was against the law as long as it was secure.

My other plan would be to put the tool box on the back. Is that allowed another 400mm overhang to the back. Put the spare under neath close to the axle but behind the axle. 2 20L Jerry's and 2 4.5kg gas bottles would then fit on the drawer bar.

I have a 70L water tank to the front of the axle.

Trying to keep my ball weight down...around 100kg....camper with fridge and battery empty is 580kg. aiming 1000kg loaded.

Any help ideas would be good.

Cheers Sean

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Sep 21, 2012 at 10:26

Friday, Sep 21, 2012 at 10:26
Sean,

With all due respect, if your camper is going from 500kg tare, to 1000kg loaded, you must be a bigger "bower-bird" than I am. Even with 70kg of water, and the jerri-cans/spare on the back(another 70kg??), that extra 360kg seems to be a lot of stuff.

Re the "small" toolbox, it might be better on the drawbar, rather than at the rear, if only for difficulty in fitting it securely. Also the risk of putting a lot of stuff in it too. You could always put light, bulky stuff in there,and that would keep the ball weight a bit lighter,

Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 495339

Follow Up By: Justahobby- Friday, Sep 21, 2012 at 10:58

Friday, Sep 21, 2012 at 10:58
Hi bob,

Thank for your reply.
Camper is nearly 600kg empty, 70 kg water 40l fuel 9kg gas + food and the canvas annex + clothes. 1000kg is my max, anything over then the missus will have to throw some stuff out. lol Id love to be under that and i no that for our first big big trip away 12 months next year, will over pack and forget the can opener.

Think In going to leave the Jerrys on the back hope to get a diesel and only have diesel in them or better yet a Ute and out fuel in the back of it. No state territory or the national dangerous goods people said it was against the law to carry fuel on the back of the camper. So hope its all good. For the main part we wont have anything in them and 1 lid letting air in. it will only be the long stretch in the NT and some of WA and rural QLD that we will carry fuel.

Cheers Sean
FollowupID: 771004

Reply By: Andrew - Friday, Sep 21, 2012 at 12:04

Friday, Sep 21, 2012 at 12:04
Hi Sean

Can't find the references at the moment, but form memory ADRs and vehicle standards used to affect the carriage of fuel containers.

Broadly speaking you couldn't carry or mount fuel containers in "impact " zones. That basically meant you had to damage the vehicle before the containers were touched.
Effectively meant no fuel or gas bottles on the rear of vehicles and side mounted stuff had to be both inside the body line and "protected". I was told years ago that that was one of the reasons manufacturers stopped providing jerry cans and holders on the rear (earliest pajero?).

From a common sense point of view you don't want someone rear ending you and knocking off or splitting fuel tanks. Doesn't apply to side tanks on trucks obviously but their tanks have to meet other requirements and are probably considered less likely to rupture than a jerry can or have a valve knocked off like an LPG bottle.

Gotta admit that after attending a couple of nasty incidents, dealing with burning fuel scares the hell out of me.
And yes diesel is safer than petrol but under the right conditions it will still burn.

Regards

A
AnswerID: 495347

Follow Up By: Justahobby- Friday, Sep 21, 2012 at 12:44

Friday, Sep 21, 2012 at 12:44
Hi Andrew,
so far this is all i have found. ill keep looking.

ADR 17—Fuel System

The function of this Australian Design Rule is to specify requirements for ‘Fuel Systems 17/00’ using ‘Liquid Fuel 17/00’ other than liquefied petroleum gas that will facilitate safe operation and reduce the risk of fire due to fuel spillage during filling operations or as a result of impacts.

/00—This standard ceased to have effect for new vehicles as from 2 August 2005.

I don't really understand. My camper is pre 2005 but I'm doing the work after 2005.

Cheers Sean
FollowupID: 771008

Sponsored Links