Pajero driving assists

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 22, 2012 at 21:36
ThreadID: 98179 Views:2295 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I'm in the market for a prado/paj (2005 prado/2006 paj) and I'm not going to open that debate as any info I need in that regard is easily found.

What I would like some thoughts on is the advantage of the standard driving assists on the paj over the prado which doesn't have these.

The other thing I'm curious about is the constant AWD on the prado compared to the 2WD on the paj and the effect this has on fuel economy.

Anyone's thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Lloyd
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: patsproule - Saturday, Sep 22, 2012 at 22:11

Saturday, Sep 22, 2012 at 22:11
Hi Lloyd. I have had a pre traction control V6 petrol NM Pajero and now have a with traction control, ASC, EBD etc diesel NP. Further, we often travel with a 120 series V6 Prado with no traction control and a 120 series D4D Prado with no traction control.

Comparing the two Pajeros, the traction control is absolutely worth it in my opinion. The NP is much much more capable and much less likely to get stuck when lifting a wheel. The ASC is a bit of a hinderance in sand but you can turn it off if speeds are kept under 80 kph. In short, I love it.

The 120 Prados however - they are very capable off-road without traction control. The rear axle on them has a hell of a lot of travel and the front IRS isn't too bad either. Given it's a chasis design it also has a fair bit of flex there as well. So it's much less prone to lifting a wheel than the Pajeros. The 120's used to run rings around our NM off-road, the NP is now about it's equal it would seem.

Re the AWD / 2WD. I dont actually think there is much in it re fuel use. I often run 4H in the wet and have yet to notice an economy difference. Use it for towing as well.

Both the Prado and the Paj are very capable vehicles and the Pajero is highly under-rated IMHO. Personally I prefer the Pajero's on-road handling. But you might prefer the Prado's NVH. Prado V6 is a sweet donk. The DID, as rattly as it is, just has the edge over the D4D in the horsepower stakes. 6 Speed manual in the Prado is a pearler though.

Should be said that all the vehicles noted above have 2" lifts and AT or better tyres. So I'm not comparing stock vehicles.

Pat
AnswerID: 495439

Follow Up By: Weavey72 - Saturday, Sep 22, 2012 at 22:31

Saturday, Sep 22, 2012 at 22:31
Hi pat,

Thanks for your thoughts, it's peoples experience like yours that makes decisions like mine much easier, can't wait to get out there and experience those places that only 4WDers can.

Lloyd
FollowupID: 771068

Reply By: Tim - Saturday, Sep 22, 2012 at 22:24

Saturday, Sep 22, 2012 at 22:24
I'm not convinced that constant 4wd does use more fuel. Whether 2 wheels drive or 4, the road friction is n o different nor is the mass of the vehicle. At best let's say there is a slight difference, it might be worth considering the extra stability and traction from having constant 4wd?
The situation where you "gass it up" and the back end starts coming around is extremely difficult in a constant 4wd.
It has been discussed on other forums with mixed results, some people claim mileage is the same, one claims a 14% decrease.
I'm pressuring you could google the economy for each to compare?
AnswerID: 495440

Follow Up By: IronMan - Sunday, Sep 23, 2012 at 11:18

Sunday, Sep 23, 2012 at 11:18
I have an NP DiD Pajero and I did a comparison over two tanks of fuel. Deliberately drove only from home to work and one trip to the supermarket each time. Once in 2WD and the next tank in all wheel drive. I found it used about 1 l/100km more fuel in all wheel drive.
FollowupID: 771090

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Sunday, Sep 23, 2012 at 22:48

Sunday, Sep 23, 2012 at 22:48
I have an NS DiD and I can't discern any difference in fuel economy in 2WD or 4WD so we tend to just leave it in 4WD these days, having previously had a 90 series Prado with constant 4WD.

Changes in fuel economy seem to relate more to weight, wind, speed etc, not whether we've got 2 or 4 wheels driving.

Both great vehicles, but we went with the Paj because I couldn't see what extra we got for the extra 8-10 grand.
FollowupID: 771123

Follow Up By: Weavey72 - Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 14:52

Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 14:52
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your thoughts and I agree with you re: value for money of the Paj versus the Prado. RAA here in SA said the same thing.

Cheers, Lloyd
FollowupID: 771152

Sponsored Links