Which is the cleaner fuel?..Petrol or diesel

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 23, 2012 at 17:30
ThreadID: 98195 Views:2756 Replies:2 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Just pondering about this as every time i change a filter on a petrol vehicle there is always a bit of red crud in the very bottom of the filter at the best of times, and with the diesel vehicles if the filter is changed on time rareley have ive seen the same contamination...eg ihave never had any crud at all in the landrover filter in the 10,000km change intervals over the last 12yrs, but the 100s toyo petrol always has some sediment at the base of the filter at the same intervals...interesting as both vehicles get filled up here there and everywhere

Cheers Axle
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, Sep 23, 2012 at 18:04

Sunday, Sep 23, 2012 at 18:04
Gday Axle!! That question i cant answer but i know that only the filthy rich can afford to fill the four wheelers up these days!! I going to send you over a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle to keep you busy!! :)) Regards Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 495488

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Sep 23, 2012 at 18:52

Sunday, Sep 23, 2012 at 18:52
Hi

Do they have 2,000 piece ones ? Happy to chip in :)

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 771110

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, Sep 23, 2012 at 19:03

Sunday, Sep 23, 2012 at 19:03
Greg!! I'lll let you know! LOL ! Axle will think that's funny! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 771111

Follow Up By: Danna - Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 00:10

Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 00:10
Oh Michael, only rich people can afford not to fill-up when diesel in reputable petrol station has low price. I can wait for quite some time for
lowest price after filling up, as my fuel tank takes up to 275 litres.
HooRoo Dana
FollowupID: 771129

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 19:17

Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 19:17
Hi Danna!! That was a bit tongue in cheek but yes it seems to be slowly creeping back to the $2.00 mark of 3 years ago. But having said that, my Diesel Patrol costs around 20 cents a km, so @ $20 per 100ks, its not to bad really. regards Michael.

Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 771184

Follow Up By: Lyn W3 - Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 07:52

Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 07:52
Speaking on the price of filling up, with the new Patrol coming only in a Petrol version and only running on Premium Unleaded it's going to be expensive to run in the outback.
FollowupID: 771205

Follow Up By: Danna - Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 10:04

Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 10:04
Hi Lyn W3
Patrols will be made in diesel version as well, but they may be not imported to Australia.
Why would anybody want to buy any vehicle running on petrol if you want to drive in remote areas and in bush? It doesn’t make sense. If there is a bush fire, you are more likely to drive of in diesel vehicle. In some remote areas petrol cost lot more, as you must have Opal petrol and you need for same vehicle more of it! Yes, petrol 4WDs are generally cheaper to buy, but how much is worth you life?
Cheers Dana
FollowupID: 771215

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 13:40

Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 13:40
Danna...new "new" 4 wheel independent suspension Patrol will only be made in petrol version at this point in time. It was initially intended for the Middle Eastern market where petrol in some countries is around the 10 cents per litre. This model will also be marketed in Australia along with the 3ltr live axle diesel configuration. will some luck we may well see the Patrol get a new V6 (like the Pathfinder and Navara 550) or if we hold our breath long enough....a V8 to compete with the 'cruiser. Re petrol being more dangerous than diesel......I personally think this is a bit of a furphy these days. It used to be the case when diesels weren't fitted with catalytic converters and diesel particulate filters that it was less likely that they would start a grass fire but nowadays with these being fitter the exhaust components of a diesel are just as likely to light up ultra dry grass (eg spinifex) that gathers in the various nooks and crannys under the vehicle as a petrol version.

Of course you petrol vapours are more likely to flash up than diesel but if you have a large enough tank and not transferring from jerry cans then this too is not really and issue in terms of fire risk. Caveat; IMHO
FollowupID: 771232

Follow Up By: Danna - Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 00:56

Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 00:56
Hi Patrol22

You are obviously not aware, what is main difference in safety of diesel fuel, compare to petrol. But don’t worry, you not only one.
Even in medium temperatures petrol fuel evaporates fast as it is very volatile fuel. With bushfire of cause comes extremely high temperature. Petrol evaporates even faster, and actually evaporates in fuel lines well before reaching an engine. With no fuel in engine, there is no way to drive off.
When it comes to diesel, it is very simple. You must normally per-heat diesel to even start the engine in first place; otherwise you wouldn’t be able to start your engine at all. So in same very high temperature, diesel vehicle just drive off….
This fact is not widely known in Australia.
Diesel vehicles should be vigorously advertised as most suitable vehicles, particularly in fire prone areas and in remote outback. This can even safe lives.
We use to have Landy and we loved him, but it was getting bit old for solo driving (bought it new-1998 Tdi Disco) Than in 2009 we bought Troopy, and guess what…we still comparing them……funny ej..
I have to say, that it is better to “go with flow” buy a Toyota… Doesn’t matter what we do, these days Troopy is “the king” of the outback.

Cheers Dana
FollowupID: 771284

Reply By: member - mazcan - Sunday, Sep 23, 2012 at 19:15

Sunday, Sep 23, 2012 at 19:15
hi axle
i have always cut open the diesel filters that i changed off my mazda bravo and nissan diesel prior to that at 40 thousand km's change intervals as per the service schedules and have never yet found anything that was cause for concern but it has a water trap near the tank and a sediment bowl under the filter neither has yealed any substant other than a few small drop of water which possibly comes from condensation over that above period
i also used to do likewise with all the farm tractor fuel filters
actually thats when this started while i was farming
but i have found some serious red dirt and water based grime in several petrol filters over the years off several different cars /trucks/ and 4wds so i would have to say that the petrol has yealed the most crud based on my research any time i put fuel or petrol in my vehicles from cans or drums is go through a fine filter and have never seen any dirt so the majority of the dirt in petrol must come from bowsers underground
cheers
barry
AnswerID: 495493

Follow Up By: Member - Peter H1 (NSW) - Sunday, Sep 23, 2012 at 20:11

Sunday, Sep 23, 2012 at 20:11
If you were to BOIL the petrol till it was all evaporated, you would find a residue left.
Their is impurities in it including a dye [red]. Remember when each petrol was a different colour ?
You could always tell Super from Standard.

PeterH
FollowupID: 771113

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 13:09

Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 13:09
I must've gotten your share of crappy diesel Barry.....I've now had water contamination from 3 different locations....Shell north of Kempsey, Shell in Canberra and BP in Queanbeyan....only the second one came good with the cost of the clean up (>$800 each time). Had to have the tank removed, flushed and cleaned and all components upstream of the injectors cleaned. In all cases the contaminant was water there was nothing else noticeable. I've heard from other who have had the same problem and some have had extremely expensive repairs (ie around the $8000 mark) with their common rail engines. I've now installed a Water Watch alarm.
FollowupID: 771145

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 19:01

Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 19:01
hi patrol 22
perhaps some of the recent /past flood waters found there way into the bowser storage tanks over that way
thats certainly big repair bills
i think ill keep driving my 1997 diesel mazda bravo only done 146000km's and the fuel system is very basic but works well
but ive done 105000 thousand km's in my gof diesel with common rail fuel system without bother as well so guess i'm lucky but it doesnt rain much over heresounds like water watchalarm is the way to go
cheers
FollowupID: 771181

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 19:11

Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 19:11
Patrol 22! When my aging Patrol was youthful and in its first year, i picked up a dose of water in Bowral, a few ks from where i lived. I saw a tanker leaving but thought it would be petrol as there is only one Diesel bowser. Stupid thinking I guess but BP paid for the repair, $700. Lucky i had a BP company account so they checked the time i filled up and checked the time the tanker was there delivering Diesel. Apparently if the ground tanks are really low and then filled, it stirs the crap and water in the bottom of the tank and into the delivered fuel. It makes sense so if i see a tanker dropping fuel, i always ask the gut at the console what fuel is being delivered. If it's Diesel, i go elsewhere!! Having said that, you can still get water from any boswer at any time. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 771182

Follow Up By: Danna - Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 22:31

Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 22:31
Hi Michael.
Our Troopy (2009 model V8) have factory fitted sediment fuel filter. All crap and water is actually collected in dispenser and replaceable sediment fuel filter. It works really very efficiently.
It is worth to check if it is possible to fit something like that to your vehicle.
Cheers Dana
FollowupID: 771194

Sponsored Links