Batteries in parallel

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 23, 2012 at 18:31
ThreadID: 98197 Views:1980 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Gday Explorers,
A question for you electrical buffs out there.
Now I am a complete dummy re such things so I hope you can interpret my explanation.
1.My van had one factory fitted battery.You know, a pile of wires connected to the plus and a separate pile of wires connected to the negative.
2.I have my local van man fit a second battery(in parallel, of course )
3.So now the only difference to the original sitcho is a wire from the old + to the new +, and a separate wire from old neg to new neg.
4.I have just read an article on the net which says that this is no good and that the original pile of wires connected to the old neg should have have gone over to the new neg!
Whew I've given myself a headache just re-reading this .
If you can understand what I am on about please give us the benefit of your wisdom.
Happy exploring Paul
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, Sep 23, 2012 at 18:40

Sunday, Sep 23, 2012 at 18:40
Paul, I have 2 batteries in my patrol wired in parallel, same applies to vans,,, I have all the extra wires from the original battery only because it's convenient. It cant really matter where the wires come from if the connections are good I would think.. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 495489

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, Sep 23, 2012 at 18:53

Sunday, Sep 23, 2012 at 18:53
merimay

Michael is correct, it doesn't matter if only the extension heavy wiring is to the new battery. The system will see it as only one big battery which has more storage.
Probably harder to try to connect anything of that wiring to the new battery anyway. Just as long as the = to and - to - with the additional heavies is all you need to do.
Now sleep easy, rest relax, your eyelids are getting heavier.
AnswerID: 495491

Follow Up By: merimay - Sunday, Sep 23, 2012 at 19:40

Sunday, Sep 23, 2012 at 19:40
Thanks Michael and Ross, now a follow up question.
I am bringing in a new pos and a new neg from recently installed solar panels via nearby controller.Which way around would you join up or does it not matter ?
Now my eye lids are getting heavier
Regards , Paul
FollowupID: 771112

Follow Up By: Ross M - Sunday, Sep 23, 2012 at 22:35

Sunday, Sep 23, 2012 at 22:35
Of course, the solar will be through a regulator of some type.
It will have the leads from the panel connected to the reg. The polarities are correctly marked so you get the neg from panel to the "solar" neg on the regulator.

The regulator should have all these clearly marked. Do not depart from the way it is shown.

Most, read most, solar regulators will have a common +ve connection eg solar +ve and battery bank +ve will be attaching at the same terminal on the regulator.

Usually the regulators will have a "solar" negative terminal and a battery negative terminal. It uses these to interrupt the solar flow to regulate battery charge levels. These must be connected correctly to their respective negative wires.

Output from regulator.
After the regulator the two wires you mentioned, one positive and one negative wire will join as is normal to the battery. Positive wire to the battery positive and negative wire to the battery negative.

At no time does a positive join to a negative. if this happened it would damage the system or regulator.
Other people may also have related info. Everyone who uses solar has had some dealings with the systems and can also relate it as they see it.
FollowupID: 771122

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Sep 23, 2012 at 22:48

Sunday, Sep 23, 2012 at 22:48
Paul, that concept of the +ve load from one battery and the -ve load from the other battery is an urban myth propagated by some who like to pretend that they understand electrical matters but really do not. Their argument is splitting hairs to a very fine degree.

As others have said here, simply leave the original load cables where they are.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 495506

Sponsored Links