An interesting tree near Old Laura H/S

Submitted: Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 21:44
ThreadID: 98223 Views:2519 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
G`day all,
On the Cape York trip last year we found this tree just off the road between the Old Laura Homestead and the river. The tree is/was a palm of some kind and all its Fronds had fallen off and the whole top of it was a mass of fruit/seed.

After telling a lady who was also in the vicinity about this tree she referred to a book she had,and later explained that this happens to this particular type of palm once in its lifetime and then dies.

It would be interesting to know if any travellers have noticed it this year and if it is still alive or not.

Scrubby
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Scrubby (VIC) - Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 21:50

Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 21:50
I also meant to ask if anyone had any other info about this unusual event.

Thanks,

Scrubby.
AnswerID: 495579

Follow Up By: Member - MIKE.G - Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 07:18

Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 07:18
Hi Scrubby, it is called a GEBANG PALM and grows in tropical northern Aus, Indo-Malaysia, Philippines and India. It is related to the date palm, coconut as well as Wait-a-while
It grows to about 25 metres and has a fan leaf. It fruits once and then dies after about 40 - 50 years.The one you saw was in fruit having dropped all its leaves and would have died shortly after. We saw a few this year up there but can not remember seeing the one you describe. Saw one good example on the way in to Old Faithful Waterhole.

Cheers,

Mike
FollowupID: 771202

Reply By: Lyn W3 - Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 07:01

Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 07:01
Hi Scrubby,

The "tree" you have referred to is the Corypha utan palm. and yes it grows to that size, flowers and dies.

Here is a link to the PASCOA site with more information,

Corypha utan palm

Another excellent reference book is "Palms of Subequatorial Queensland" written by Robert Tucker back in the 1980's and can be found in some used book shops.
His accounts of travelling to Cape York back in the 1960's-70's are great with some great photos.
AnswerID: 495588

Reply By: Life Member - esarby (NSW) - Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 07:01

Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 07:01
Hi Scrubby. Try Google. It could be a Metroxylon - a genus of Malayan pinnate-leaved palm trees that flower and fruit once and then dies

Synonyms:

Arecaceae; family Arecaceae; family Palmaceae; family Palmae; palm family; Palmaceae; Palmae

Hypernyms ("Arecaceae" is a kind of...):

liliopsid family; monocot family (family of flowering plants having a single cotyledon (embryonic leaf) in the seed)

Meronyms (members of "Arecaceae"):

genus Livistona; Livistona (fan palms of Asia and Australia and Malaysia)

genus Metroxylon; Metroxylon (a genus of Malayan pinnate-leaved palm trees that flower and fruit once and then die.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 495589

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 11:34

Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 11:34
hi
some humans ive known have done that
produced a lot of wild oats and then carked it
lol
FollowupID: 771221

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 09:31

Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 09:31
Seems a bit sad really. Grow into a majestic(not sure that's the right word???) tree, one big party, and cark it.

Sort of reminds of a well known pollie, who was reported to have "died on the job"

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 771385

Reply By: Karen G2 - Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 07:55

Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 07:55
I just came across this video with Les Hiddins.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IuV6wEAn3g

It doesn't answer whether your exact palm is still there, but at roughly the 10min30 mark, he shows examples of these palms in the 3 different stages of life.

AnswerID: 495725

Sponsored Links