Campervan Melb to Adelaide advice?

Submitted: Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 22:44
ThreadID: 98225 Views:2393 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
first post. taking a campervan from Melb to Ade this weekend. Sort of decided with the coastal route through Mt Gambier, any idea where is the best place to spend the two nights (fri & sat)? cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: amazoniandad - Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 22:59

Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 22:59
I spent two nights at Portland. The hotels were lovely for tea and was a nice place to do a day trip from. I had my Caravan with me but stayed with cousins there.They have the Big wind towers there for power Generation.I live in Brisbane and had never seen them in real life. There is also a Tram that does a run around the town and drops you off at various places to have a look at The beach is also lovely there.
Stephen
AnswerID: 495583

Reply By: Charlie B2 - Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 13:28

Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 13:28
Hi Luke,

Another possibility might be Lower Glenelg National Park, but it does depend on what you really want to be doing. Are you happy on your own or with a few others, or do you really want the, largely illusory, comforts of larger towns?.

Choice of many sites at LGNP and the Glenelg River is really nice, although I seem to recall that you have to get your permits in Nelson (meaning that in your case you'll have to backtrack) Another point is that here in SA (dunno about Vic) it's a long weekend coming up, so that might make camp-site bookings difficult, or even impossible - a LOT of the more local South Aussies, just occasionally, might be prepared to admit they're willing to cross the border to visit. :-) Some of the tracks are a bit sandy but shouldn't prove too difficult this time of year. Mind you, you won't have power, though.

If big towns are your thing, maybe Warrnambool will tickle your fancy.Portland's fine and you can spend days walking around the various walking tracks nearby. Maybe you might like Port Fairy, if you have a nautical bone or two in your body. All of these towns can be "interesting" (and REALLY cold) if the wind's blowing, and they don't have windfarms where it doesn't!

Just a few thoughts, so don't take offence if mine don't match with yours, but you really didn't give us much to go on from your original post.

Regards,

Charlie
AnswerID: 495611

Reply By: Luke J - Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 16:41

Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 16:41
wow, thanks guys for the insightful comments.
Charlie, this will be my first caravan trip, and hence the lack of detail in my initial post : )
I'm leaving afterwork on Friday and is thinking of spending the night either around Nelson (along Coastal Discovery National Park - Swan lake) or Mt Gambier (around Blue Lake).
I have both shower and toilet in the campervan so i guess it is not really an issue if I have facilities in the first night, right?

On friday I'll get there between 10-11pm, do I need to book in advance? I'm hoping I don't have to as that sort of defeats the purpose of caravaning, no?

saturday night, I'm planning to spend around Victor Harbour... the up mclaren vale on sunday before flying back in the afternoon
AnswerID: 495629

Follow Up By: KevinE - Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 08:48

Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 08:48
Hi Luke, If you're following the coast road Robe is an excellent spot to stop.

However, as has been said, its a long W/E here & Robe/Victor Harbor/McLaren Vale will all most likely be chocka! To the point where we always go away a week either side of the holiday rather than brave the crowds!

Cheers,

Kevin.
FollowupID: 771288

Follow Up By: Charlie B2 - Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 14:02

Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 14:02
Hi Luke,

I just found your reply. Seems as though you'll have to book in advance through their website:Swan Lake link

Given that you'll be getting to wherever you do eventually camp at 10-11:00pm tomorrow night, I don't think I'd be too worried where I was pulling up for the rest of the night - you won't be seeing anything, so why stress to get to a place of interest? I'd even be prepared to argue that travelling on the Portland - Nelson road at that time of night might prove interesting as far as wildlife is concerned, but I have been wrong before. Might be a better idea to find a quiet side road earlier, rather than run the risk. Not to mention that there might be the odd bloke or two, who might take umbrage if you start making "setting up camp" noises at that time of night in a popular place! :-) At that time of night, most of those guys seem to be about ten feet tall and weigh 300 kilograms! :-)

Another issue with that area is that caravans seem to be catered for only at Pritchards camping area in LGNP, at least according to the link.

Unfortunately, your description your rig as a "campervan" had me a touch confused (i.e. it could be interpreted as either a motorised van with bed & stove in the rear, or something like a Jayco Eagle Outback, towed behind a car or 4WD). You'll get used to explaining things a bit more completely as you become more familiar with this site, so don't take that as criticism.

Yeah, I understand about rushed trips interstate, but my main concern with your proposed trip would be that no-one's going to have time to smell the roses! You'll just HAVE to go back!

Whatever you choose to do now, Good Luck.

Regards,

Charlie
FollowupID: 771336

Sponsored Links