The problem with milk on the bumpy roads

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 16:11
ThreadID: 98236 Views:3423 Replies:11 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys, I am dipping in to the pool of wisdom again as you wonderful people have helped solve many a dilemma for me. We are in far north WA and its stinking hot. We have come across the savannah way from FNQ and have encountered many rough and bumpy roads with more to come. We will be out of shop range for a while, heading on the gibb up to Mitchell plateau.

Our problem is that we can't seem to transport milk, primarily soy milk. By the time we open a carton, it's thick and grainy. Urgh! The long life cartons get bumped around and get heated up.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I'd welcome your suggestions as we've thrown out so many cartons its hardly worth buying. We have transported them in the car and in the CT cupboards with little success.

Thanks a bunch :)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 16:42

Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 16:42
This is what we do with "real milk":
I hate that long life milk so we carry one or two 2LT containers in the fridge without worries. Sometimes up to a week and all is okay. Preferably actually the A4 full cream milk when we can get it as well. Then again we have two fridges. A 40 lt set at +4 as a normal fridge and a 21 lt set at around -8 as a freezer. We can easily carry more than two weeks worth of cold and/or frozen foods.

Cannot help with that soy stuff.

Phil
AnswerID: 495630

Follow Up By: mountainman - Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 18:20

Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 18:20
pjr, try the devondale range uht, its pretty good these days.
theyve spent alot of money in r&d, and yeah nothing like fresh stuff, but its pretty good in the UHT.
OH and try their chocolate 1ltr uht, its soo yumm, youll drink it the same day, make sure you buy 2. ha haa.
yummo.
FollowupID: 771256

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 18:34

Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 18:34
I think that my post was missleading. We only carry full cream A2 milk if we can help it. Not UHT stuff.

Thanks for the hint mate but I like my full cream A2 stuff not the watered down stuff that they pretend to be milk. It's about the closest we can get to the real dairy milk that I was born and bred on so it will do us.

And for chocolate I dont drink it but occasionally have a Cadburys plain old dairy milk block.

Sorry but it looks like you lucked out twice there.

No worries. Cheers
FollowupID: 771257

Reply By: ExplorOz - Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 16:57

Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 16:57
It depends on how/where you carry the UHT. I always carry UHT but I stack them in fisherman's tub (about 24 of them), packed tight and careful they don't get too much direct sunlight, and are carried in probably the best position to avoid rebounds. If there are any air-gaps from taking out a carton to the fridge (I move 1 per day or two), then I repack something else in its place to avoid movement. We have succesfully done this for the past 12 years on long outback treks including the Canning, Old Gunbarrel, Anne Beadell etc. Michelle
ExplorOz

Business Member
My Profile  My Blog

AnswerID: 495631

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 17:09

Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 17:09
Yep what Michelle said. What we do when we have used a carton of UHT we cut the top off, rinse it out, and put a stubby holder or similar into it. Then put it back into storage to take up the space.
We do however have a full size van so probably don't go onto as bumpy a road as some.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 771251

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 21:02

Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 21:02
Same here - make sure you pack it tight.

Mind you, you can't buy the long life in the plastic containers any more ..... grrrrrr. Find with the cardboard ones, they can rub through in fridges after a while - messy.
FollowupID: 771277

Follow Up By: Member - John - Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 05:44

Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 05:44
G'day, a couple of hints for UHT milk storage and storage in general. UHT milk cartons last longer if gaffer tape is used around the bottom and for replacing items when used to keep things packed tightly, I use old wine cask bladders, blown up to the right size to replace items and keep things in the right place and the old bladders don't take up much space when not needed. Mix of 2 and 4 lt ones. Seems to work well for me.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 771285

Reply By: Notso - Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 18:31

Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 18:31
Use Powdered milk! Don't think you can get powdered soy though.
AnswerID: 495633

Follow Up By: racinrob - Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 18:54

Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 18:54
Notso got it right, use powdered milk, from my experience milk in cartons does not travel well, like the first poster I have dumped many cartons of "lumpy" milk over the years now carry the powdered stuff.

rr
FollowupID: 771259

Reply By: Member - Geoff B (WA) - Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 18:51

Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 18:51
We always buy the devondale long life milk, but we buy it still in the cardboard box (ie 10 x 1 litres) that way they dont bounce around as they are packed nice and tight. Just take out one at a time.
Sue B
AnswerID: 495641

Reply By: member - mazcan - Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 18:53

Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 18:53
hi astro
i have carried many long life cartons of full cream milk just loose on the rear floor of my dualcab on very corregated roads and tracks including servere on the csr without a problem some of it for nearly 3 weeks
but maybe the structure of soy milk is different and curdles when shaken about ????cheers
AnswerID: 495642

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 21:29

Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 21:29
You could try powdered soy milk - Eclipse Wholefoods - Bonvit Soy Milk 500g

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 495652

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 07:28

Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 07:28
We lived out of reach of fresh milk for years in the days before UHT and we used powdered milk for everything and still do if travelling and camping far from shops. The trick is to mix it up the night before and let it stand in a container in the fridge overnight and the next day it is fine. Not as good as dairy fresh but better than anything else you can usually buy in the average supermarket! The main advantage of powdered milk is that it keeps well no matter how you are travelling and it takes up little space or weight compared to boxes of UHT. Lynne
AnswerID: 495665

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 08:35

Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 08:35
When we go outback, we just give up on fresh milk and used powdered - mixed as required - we carry two 1 L Decor containers in the fridge, washing them out and re-mixing as we go - we buy full cream powder and reduce the measure to skim values - as for quality...... we use the powder-milk for cereals and tea/coffee - honestly can't tell the difference between that and long life !
AnswerID: 495669

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 13:48

Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 13:48
I agree, we use both the powder and the uht and never had a problem.
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 771295

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 16:24

Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 16:24
The advent of UHT milk has made a lot of people forget about powdered milk. When mixed properly, and using fresh powder, most people wouldn't know the difference.

And you can mix it to the strength you enjoy, be it skim, Friesian or Jersey. In the stock camps, we even made a paste of it, and spread it onto jam sandwiches. A culinary delight, when you're always hungry.

A level dessertspoon of milk powder per egg, makes the best scrambled eggs. And they're not "swimming" in a sea of water like you often get, at some places. Makes great custard, the custard powder being mixed with the milk powder, and sugar, and near boiling water added. And stir like buggery.....

The modern milk powders blend readily with hot water, and as Darian says, it's great for tea or coffee. Add enough powder, and it's soon milk coffee......with maybe a wee dram or two.......

Then, when the tin is empty, it makes a great 3L billy, for tea, or hot water. They do rust a bit if not used regularly, but then it isn't long before you've got another shiny "new" one,

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 495685

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 18:58

Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 18:58
I suggest the problem may be where & how you carry the milk. If the milk is getting hot carry it in an esky (without ice) or cover with a blanket to insulate, pack them tight so they can't move (tape together) & place them as far forward in the car to give them the best ride. Putting items that spoil easily (like eggs etc) behind the rear axle or in camper trailers with stiff leaf sprung suspension can lead to disapointment. To avoid spillage in the fridge I transfer each milk carton into a plastic screw lid container.
Cheers Craig.......
AnswerID: 495697

Follow Up By: Crackles - Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 19:08

Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 19:08
& possibly let some air out of your tyres. I can't believe the number of people I've spoken to that have cracked & damaged all sorts of things on & in their cars yet won't drop pressures on dirt roads below 40 psi.
FollowupID: 771302

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 19:23

Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 19:23
18 replies and followups. The OP asked about SOY milk. There is only a couple of respondents who replied to his request. the rest are clearly off subject.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 495702

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 20:50

Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 20:50
What's going to happen to the rest of us, Peter?

Do we all have to sit in the corner???

Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 771307

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 12:44

Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 12:44
yes and you will have to make and drink milkshakes as added punishment
FollowupID: 771332

Follow Up By: Notso - Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 15:21

Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 15:21
Now Now Nomad, he did say Primarily Soy Milk. Not that I care cos I was one of those who mentioned Soy anyhow!
FollowupID: 771340

Sponsored Links