Petrol 100 series Landcruiser using oil

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 21:55
ThreadID: 98250 Views:12009 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
My 2001 petrol (6 Cyl) Cruiser is using oil at an increasing rate .Can anyone give me the name of a reliable mechanic in the northern suburbs of Perth that I can visit to to get it checked out. Has done 300,000 with lots of caravan towing and illness may possibly be terminal. Would like to get a reliable opinion as to what the problem may be and whether motor repair/rebuild or replacement is necessray.
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Sn00py2 (NSW) - Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 09:53

Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 09:53
Hi Terry,

Not answering your question but my petrol 100 series (2000 model with 320,000klm on the clock) also started to burn oil. It also had done a lot of towing. I got a quote for an engine rebuild of betweek $7k and $11k. The range was due to not knowing how much work was needed on the bottom end of the engine. I also considered the option of a new diesel engine but in the end I put thicker oil into the existing motor and traded it in. I'm now the proud owner of a 200 series with a V8 diesel. Great vehicle and tows like there is nothing on the back at all.

According to Mr Google, the 6cly Toyota Petrol engine is good for 1,000,000 klms with an engine rebuild every 330,000 Klms.

Hope your trusty steed is not terminal and maybe its time for a rebuild but it may be time to consider an upgrade if you can't do without the vehicle for a few weeks.

Regards,

Sn00py2
AnswerID: 495671

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 10:23

Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 10:23
Hi Terry,
The 1FZ FE, although a very strong motor, were renown for using some oil after a bit of age. The main culprit was the valve stem seals and perhaps some valve guide wear.

I had this problem on the 80 series unit I owned some time back although it was not excessive. As I had converted it to dual fuel I was not concerned as I considered it as a valve saver as the extra carbon would have been helping the valves and guides as gas is a lot dryer fuel.

I had a multivalve turbo rebuilt a little over a year ago which all up cost around the $8 grand mark so I cannot see your petrol engine costing $11 grand to rebuild let alone $7 grand.

At that price I would be trying to source a very good second hand unit or even a brand new unit from Toyota. The other plan would be an engine swap to a V8 as a local mechanic in my area shoehorns the 1UZ into 80 series with pretty good results.

For towing the 2 UZ (fitted to the 100 series) is a better motor as it is slightly bigger but more importantly it has an iron block as opposed to the all aluminium 1UZ.

It just depends on how excessive your oil consumption is. The problem may be fixed by a head rebuild.

Seek several opinions from various mechanics and make sure they do a compression test both wet and dry as a dry test alone will not be conclusive enough for a sensible quote. Don't be frightened to ask the local Toyota dealer for a quote either.

What are you towing with it ????.
What sort of oil usage quantity are you talking about??.
Cheers, Bruce.

At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 495672

Reply By: TerraFirma - Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 12:07

Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 12:07
This is quite common with this engine, at least 2 of my friends had the issue and one was having to put an alarming amount of oil in the engine every month, around 3 litres from memory. He had done around 260,000 kms, both sold their cars. Where are you located? I have a Toyota Service Dept manager as a contact in Melbourne's east who could run through the possible scenarios for you.
AnswerID: 495676

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 13:19

Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 13:19
Try big Rock toyota, they rebuilt my Toyota truck motor for around six thousand a few years ago now, but I would recommend their service to any one with motor problems.
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 771294

Reply By: ctaplin - Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 16:09

Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 16:09
Seeing as it's most likely just worn valve stem seals causing your excessive oil use, why not just get the head reconditioned. Can't see that costing more than a couple of grand max?

Chris
AnswerID: 495683

Reply By: Life Member Tour Boy( Bundy) - Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 17:24

Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 17:24
I've never paid more than $2.5k for a 1fz rebuild you are being ripped off shop around. personally I'd just do the head. My last one had 411km on it with only a head service and was not using oil. My current one has 300km on it but has had lumpy cams fitted and is now set up for gas and running 15 degrees timing and leaks some oil but burns none. They turbo very well too 260+kw
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 495746

Follow Up By: Crammo - Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 21:54

Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 21:54
Dave, can you give some more details on the cams you are running in your 1fz. I am looking for better towing performance and hopefully better economy.

Brian
FollowupID: 771360

Follow Up By: Life Member Tour Boy( Bundy) - Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 16:34

Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 16:34
Hi Brian,
The PO had his brother who does head work for a living tweak it which cost him over 3.5k but I don't know the details other than it goes like stink when pushed. I can still advance the timing more but I have run out of travel, I have to pull the dizzy and rotate it another tooth for more. Even at 15 degrees (instead of the factory 3 degrees) and not on premium ulp it doesn't ping.
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 771423

Sponsored Links