Wild flower run in Oct

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 22:10
ThreadID: 98265 Views:2109 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys, just read David & Michelle's thread & we want to do a wild flower run 2nd week in Oct possibly taking in Boyagin Rock then south to Stirling Ranges, Albany & then back to Mandurah, problem is unlike David & Michelle we will be towing our 17ft van so some of the roads & tracks will be off limits for us, thing is we're a little unsure of some of the roads & places of interest. SWMBO suggested we do a David & Michelle & just ask.
We're open to any reasonable suggestions
Cheers Tony N
Dum_Spiro_Spero."While I breathe, I hope"

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: get outmore - Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 23:08

Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 23:08
boyogin rock road has sighns suggesting no vans but it shouldnt be that bad - just a bit narrow - but its still a road. when actually at the boyogin rock campground there is considerable room to be able to turn a van around with some manauvering. so if your a confident van driver it would definitly be do able
AnswerID: 495719

Reply By: Keith Q - Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 09:41

Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 09:41
We were out there last week. We have previously taken a camper trailer out there and that's not a problem if you take it carefully. We now also have a 17ft van and last week we left the van in Perth and just used the ute. We would like to take our van out there but after a further look at access to the rock , we would not do it. The last stretch of a few km's is very narrow, single lane size, with trees close on each side. If you do meet a vehicle coming from the opposite direction, you will have an interesting challenge with a 17ft van behind you! There are one of two wider sections cut into the sides where you can pass one another, but it will be a bit of a lottery because they are not really long enough for a vehicle and a 17ft caravan.
Brookton is quite close and it might pay to use the caravan park out there and drive in from Brookton. Its a lovely drive.
Dont forget that there is no water on site.
Have fun!
AnswerID: 495729

Follow Up By: Member - Tony N (WA) - Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 10:06

Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 10:06
Thanks Keith.might drop van at c/park & do day trips, any suggestions south or south/east that are good wild flower viewing
Cheers Tony N

FollowupID: 771321

Follow Up By: get outmore - Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 11:20

Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 11:20
as you will find out the the wheatbelt has been very extensivly clearfelled (people say mining is bad?), Boyogin rock and Dtuatanning are 2 of the few nature reserves of any size in that area so unless you consider conola a wildflower you will be restricted to hunting them down along verges or in some of the very small remaining patches of reminant vegetation in areas south and southeast
FollowupID: 771324

Follow Up By: Keith Q - Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 12:42

Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 12:42
Me Again!

We were out to find wildflowers at Boyagin. This year it has been quite dry, but we still managed to see lovely patches of everlastings (I think thats what they were!) We were also lucky enough to find Buttercup orchids, many donkey orchids and one or two spider orchids. Different varieties seem to bloom at different times, so you might just see some different varieties of orchid.
Its a lovely place, so very quiet. The flowers are not quite as good as they were last year, but was it worth the trip? Most definitely!
I would not leave it too long if I were you.
If you are staying at Brookton, you might try a trip to Dryandra, there are bound to be lots of flowers there and it is an extremely interesting place. DEC (Narrogin) did run evening excursions into their threatened wildlife breeding centre at Dryandra , which is an unforgettable experience. If you do get to Dryandra, please let us know what wildflowers you find. Incidentally, there are good caravanning spots at Dryandra, but the dusty roads make an awful mess of the van! I would leave it in Brookton.

Enjoy!
FollowupID: 771331

Reply By: member - mazcan - Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 11:53

Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 11:53
hi tony n
if you get to walpole and go to mt frankland the breardmore rd and ajacent areas are usually alive with lots of different species of flowers it was burnt out by dec about 2/3 years ago so there should be a vibrant amount and are usually very good after recovery from a burn out as there is less competion for a few years
i have seen some brillant displays on 3 separate occasions
if you are going walpole to majimup from albany just as you are leaving the walpole town you vere rht onto -north walpole rd -and then vere rht onto copeland rd this takes you into mt frankland visitors parking area its about 21km's and is large enough for tourist buses and c/avans etc if you are fit enough it is an interesting climb or you can walk around the base
then as you leave there at the copeland rd mt frankland rd x over you continue on to the mt frankland rd - north walpole rd x over
you then enter beardmore rd in the same direction this will bring you back out onto the walpole majimup s w hwy 34 km's west of walpolethese rds are good gravel rds and there is room to pass
if you are coming from majimup you turn off the south west hwy to the left into beardmore rd which is 8km's before the broke inlet rd the west autralian travellers atlas is a very good directory for these minor side rds through out w.a
hope my directions are clear enough
cheers
AnswerID: 495734

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 12:35

Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 12:35
hi
also if you are going through mt barker the banksia farm there is very good with 102 species growing you can wanderaround the paths on 5 hectares
it has an interpretive /cafe center and the owner kevin give talks about how he has painstakingly gathered and grown the worlds only full collection of known banksia i think you have to book for the talks
you can check it online just google it
cheers
FollowupID: 771329

Reply By: Member - Rowdy6032 (WA) - Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 11:58

Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 11:58
Hi

This site may be of interest to you.

http://www.hiddentreasures.com.au/

Regards
AnswerID: 495735

Follow Up By: Member - Rowdy6032 (WA) - Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 12:03

Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 12:03
You have to click on the word "brochure" not the brochure itself.

They can't make it too easy.
FollowupID: 771325

Follow Up By: Member - Tony N (WA) - Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 22:38

Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 22:38
Thanks all for your input, It'll give us plenty to do over the next few weeks as we try to follow the wild flowers south
Rowdy that brochure is a beauty & will be used with the bucket list over next couple of seasons.
Thanks again.
Cheers Tony N

FollowupID: 771365

Sponsored Links