Another change in CSR travel permit applicatiion process

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 06:18
ThreadID: 98267 Views:2503 Replies:2 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,

The Australian National Four Wheel Drive Council is again issuing CSR travel permits. here is an extract from the ANFWDC website

CANNING STOCK ROUTE PERMIT SERVICE

ANFWDC (4WD AUSTRALIA) has agreed to a request from the Western Desert Lands Aboriginal Corporation (WDLAC) to continue management of the CSR Permit system until further notice.

Here is a link
CSR permit

cheers
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Danna - Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 18:23

Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 18:23
Hi
All those permits are just ridicules.
Even in communist Russia travelling people were not so restricted as here.
Yes, you have to get one permit (bumazcka) for whole trip, you travel from here to there. You must had arrived in certain time limit and go to local office on arrival, to tell them you arrived. If you didn’t arrived on time, the rescue went out to look for you.
There are just too many things in tajga…from getting lost; quick sand; marches that looked OK to camp…and in morning car was 4/3 bogged and it was bogging more and more until car diapered. Than the wildlife (from so many mozzies you would die from so many stings, tigers, bears, snakes & so on & on). Than there is un-seasonal wether; like… cold blizzards in middle of summer.
It is just so different than what we have here. This business with permits here is just grab for mighty $. It’s restriction of movement.
I wouldn’t mind to pay, if we could see improvement in living standard of our Aboriginal people, those who physically living on the land. But aboriginal authorities purposely make them closed communities, so outsiders can’t see what is happening there. It is absurd we pay, but we are denied to see, if those poor people in closed communities getting real value for our money.
Those communities were originally closed, because some travels were to us bizarre in they behaviour (photographing, trading anything for alcohol & so on). But in 21century we are all past to treat each other that way. It is time to let all Aussies to see their country, doesn’t matter how rich or poor you are…..
Cheers Dana
AnswerID: 495748

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 21:13

Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 21:13
Having been on the Canning Stock Route earlier this year I would say that I got my money's worth for the permit. The facilities were great and supported by WA Trackcare and numerous other supporters, the trip was made very enjoyable as a result.

On the flipside we went to Cape York a couple of years ago - no permits until North of Jardine and some of the mess that people left was quite disappointing.

There are a number of areas that are getting closed off because imbeciles dont care about history and damage or take just that one little souvenier.

Cheers

Colin
FollowupID: 771358

Follow Up By: Danna - Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 22:04

Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 22:04
Hi Colin, nice to see your reply.
It is not about our personal enjoyment and comfort, neither about traveling group enjoyment, comfort and fun.
It is about aboriginal people physically living on the land. How much benefit and real support are they getting from our payments for permits to WDLAC? ……very, very little...... some time non!
We spend some time with young local aboriginal man, he was traveling same way, and we stay together overnight near Veevers Crater so we did get the info from first hand.

Hooroo Dana
FollowupID: 771362

Follow Up By: Life Member - Phil B (WA) - Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 22:45

Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 22:45
Hello Dana,

Whilst we are concerned about the plight of the Aboriginal people, we aren't talking about a lot of money here.

If 700 permits are issued per year that raises about $7,000 - thats hardly going to make much difference to the five native title groups that have jurisdiction over the CSR. It probably costs more than that to administer the permit system.

To make a difference and get real support for Aboriginal people, other strategies and funding regimes need to be put in place.

Our local pollies should be the first port of call to get something additional started.

cheers

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 771366

Follow Up By: PhilD - Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 23:08

Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 23:08
Having done part of the Canning recently, I paid $100 for my permit which means the 700 permits comes to $70000! This means we are talking about a reasonable amount of money.
I thinks the calculator didn't work!
Phil
FollowupID: 771367

Follow Up By: Life Member - Phil B (WA) - Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 02:47

Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 02:47
Oops you're right PhilD, sorry about that I meant to type $70,000.

$70,000 divided by five isn't exactly going to change much for Aboriginal people is it?

cheers

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 771369

Follow Up By: Danna - Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 10:22

Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 10:22
Hi guys

$70,000 divided by five??? Why would you calculate distribution of $ this way? Who else than few smart-asses from WDLAC needs to line their pockets? Shouldn’t this kind of rip-off be eliminated…..
Even $5000 would make huge difference to those aboriginal people living on land, especially if that is used for whole community in practical way.

HooRoo Dana
FollowupID: 771390

Follow Up By: Life Member - Phil B (WA) - Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 10:40

Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 10:40
Dana,
The CSR goes thru five different Native Title areas - hence $70,000 divided by five.

I don't agree that '$5000 would make huge difference to those aboriginal people living on land,'
$5000 is peanuts when they need better, housing, health, education opportunities and so on. Millions are needed - also needed is the will by pollies to fix these issues.

Currently there is a CSR Ranger training program in place, the $70,000 pa wouldn't pay for the costs of a trainer (wages, vehicle, housing). But the training does give the Rangers an opportunity and access to new skills etc.

cheers

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 771392

Follow Up By: Danna - Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 10:54

Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 10:54
Hi Phil B
Fair enough, it would be split 5ways, but any $ counts, especially for those people there.
All politicians should be personally accountable and before they come to power, they should sighed real contract, so they would be viable for their lies.
Ciao Dana
FollowupID: 771394

Reply By: cookie1 - Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 12:07

Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 12:07
I think the thread is going off track, the OP is posting about the permit for THE TRACK leave aside the politics and plight of our aboriginal folk.

As far as I am concerned the fees charged are very fair and reasonable given the facilities and the condition that I found them in, this costs money and the ambit figure of $70k would only contribute a minor amount.

The rangers and all supporters do a fantastic job and when I return I will gladly pay the permit fee.

Cheers

Colin
AnswerID: 495809

Sponsored Links