How to avoid fatigue this weekend

Hi all,

I thought you might like to look over the information that the Department for Planning, Transport and Infrastructure has published on its intranet site. I hope this works, but if not, I'll copy and paste the entire page.

How to avoid fatigue

This all makes sense, not only on a long weekend like they're discussing here, but any time we're travelling. Really, it's only the traffic volume that differs. There are still people out there who don't think about what they're doing, at least as far as it affects others.

Regards,

Charlie

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tim_c - Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 14:13

Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 14:13
I can't load the site - can anyone else?
AnswerID: 495817

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 14:18

Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 14:18
same here it dont work
FollowupID: 771403

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 14:20

Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 14:20
further more to avoid fatique dont even try-lol
FollowupID: 771404

Follow Up By: Charlie B2 - Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 14:35

Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 14:35
Sorry guys,

Access seems to be limited to DPTI users only so here's the basic material - it looks a lot better on the website. There's even a real pitcha/photo that I couldn't upload.

"How to avoid fatigue this long weekend

"Holidaymakers heading to the regions or interstate over the upcoming long weekend are reminded to plan ahead.

"The October long weekend has a history of tragedy on the roads.

Last year there was one fatality and seven serious injuries on South Australian roads over the October long weekend. In the previous year there were two fatalities and thirteen serious injuries.

We don’t want any families or friends to lose a loved one or any person to be seriously injured in a crash that could have been avoided.

Last year, 41 percent of fatalities occurred in metropolitan Adelaide, while 59 percent occurred in rural areas.

That’s why it’s so important to plan ahead to ensure you stay alert while driving, particularly when travelling on country roads.

Make sure you include a break or rest stop every two hours, avoid driving for more than 8-10 hours a day and have a good night’s sleep before heading out to start fresh and avoid fatigue.

It's also best to start your trip early in the day and avoid driving during the night or straight after you finish work to keep yourself, your family and other road users safe.

Always be patient on the road – very little time is saved by speeding, overtaking and fast cornering.

It’s not worth the risk just to try and save a few minutes off your journey.

Motorists are also asked to take into account the large volume of holiday traffic when planning their return journey from the Yorke Peninsula over the weekend.

The 2012 statewide road toll is currently 70 fatalities – 13 less than at the same time last year. This includes 45 deaths on our rural roads compared to 49 at the same time in 2011."

Hey mazcan, It's a pity your sig line didn't help in this case! :-)

FollowupID: 771407

Follow Up By: urbanus - Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 14:42

Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 14:42
This booklet has some useful information

Country Driving Tips
FollowupID: 771410

Reply By: ExplorOz - Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 17:16

Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 17:16
A timely reminder - we wish everyone a safe long weekend. I linked the P-Bay & Rest Areas article because when I wrote this I put some good ideas for how to reduce driver fatigue there so take a look at that. Interesting bit about Power Naps!
Michelle
ExplorOz

Business Member
My Profile  My Blog

AnswerID: 495839

Reply By: Rockape - Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 18:00

Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 18:00
There is only a couple of rules to avoid fatigue and that is.

Don't drink coffee or have caffeine for the period of 8 hours before you drive. Alcohol also doesn't let you get a good sleep and I do imbibe in many a cool drink.

When you are tired sleep. Nanna naps of 20 mins are great.

Getting out and walking around for 10 mins after you drive 2 hours is BS.

Stay cool. Air cons are a great thing.

And we all have a witching hour. This is the time our body clock thinks we should sleep.
Mine is 2 to 4 am and pm. Others will be different.

Recognise you are running on empty and your reaction times are getting slow. An example is when you forget to dip your lights.

Have a safe one,
RA.

AnswerID: 495841

Reply By: Rockape - Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 09:40

Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 09:40
Maybe this might get others to have a good think about what happens.

Not only the loss to all the families involved but also what happens to the driver of the B double. He will live with that for a very long time and if he owns or works for a small operator he will also lose his livelyhood for a period of time.

Fatigue and the consequences

Have a safe one.
AnswerID: 495980

Sponsored Links