a syphony of generators

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 10:12
ThreadID: 98304 Views:4122 Replies:13 FollowUps:35
This Thread has been Archived
Gday
my family went for a camp at a local spot a few weeks ago, only to find the constant hum of generators all day. I have nothing against people who use them, but you always get 1 person who leaves it running into the night and then starts it up at a sparows fart so they can keep there fridge cold. Is it true that the basic rule for generators is , dont have them running before 7am and after 10pm?
We had one couple turn up at 9pm set up camp in a parking zone then start up his generator for his lights. 11pm i aproached him only to find he wasnt even in his camp.After calling out to him load enough to get over the noise of his genset he came walking back to his camp. I explained to him as nice as i felt i could in this situation the basic camping rules when it comes to gensets.
I know that 99% of people do the right thing, but surely people should understand the small couple of rules that apply to everyone to keep everyone happy.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Trev&Ness B - Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 10:14

Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 10:14
symphony is what i meant
AnswerID: 495866

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 10:42

Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 10:42
And here was me thinking you had found a way to suppliment your petrol supplies (;-0)
You will get a whole lot of emotional responses to anything to do with generators. I have a Honda which is a pretty quiet unit especially on eco throttle which is all we need most of the time. I never start mine before around 9.00 in the morning and always shut it down just before dusk.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 771478

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 10:45

Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 10:45
Gday,
Maybe he was using a different rule book to yours.
I cant see how you can have a "couple of rules that apply to everyone to keep everyone happy." 10pm doesnt always suit me? and some people have medical reasons for running a generator.
I think if you need a set of camp rules, a caravan park with a list of rules you can read before entering might be better.
And if there was a constant hum of generators it sounds like the rule was generators are accepted........maybe you should have just started up yours and joined in? When in Rome.......do as the Romans.

Cheers
AnswerID: 495867

Follow Up By: Trev&Ness B - Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 11:00

Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 11:00
It isnt my rule thats why i put a ?. I was asking a question.
What medical reasons could anyone have to run a generator? if you need to keep meds in the fridge use a bat for over nite fridge cooling, most fridges will keep cool over nite without them running.
Maybe rules wasnt the best word to use , ethics or considerations is probably better.
As i said in the post there was more than 1 person camping in the area, not everthing is about you when you camp. If everyone took that aproach we could all say goodbye to enjoying camping.

FollowupID: 771479

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 11:18

Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 11:18
One reason for needing power for medical reasons is to operate a Sleep Apnea machine. However........ read on.

A while back we set up our camper in an un-powered area of a caravan park. After we had fully set up the neighbouring caravan came over to explain that he used a Sleep Apnea machine with a generator that would run all night. Bit late to tell us after we had set up! Assumed he would place the generator well away but no, it was closer to our camp than his! It wasn't load but caused my wife an unsettled sleep. I considered it to be a very thoughtless action. He may well have a problem but should be considerate enough to not make it someone else's problem.

Furthermore, he could have used a powered site and not needed a generator at all.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 771480

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 11:19

Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 11:19
"load" should be "loud".
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 771481

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 11:22

Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 11:22
A mate of mine has one of those CPAP (I think) machines and has had to charge the battery before going to bed..........

"If everyone took that aproach we could all say goodbye to enjoying camping"
What approach is that? Accepting people are different or behing a bit tolerant and fitting in with other campers?
And who's idea of enjoyable camping? Yours?
If all these people running generators didnt like them, wouldnt they have turned them off? I wasnt there but the way I read it, the general consensis was generators were accepted......except by you? Maybe its you that needed to be a little more tolerant and not the rest of the campground?
FollowupID: 771482

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 11:31

Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 11:31
Who are you addressing Hairy? Not me I hope.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 771483

Follow Up By: Trev&Ness B - Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 11:41

Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 11:41
It seems to be the norm that the genset gets put as far away as pos from the people they belong to.
Seems you were right about the emotional responses.
Good call on the sleep apnea machine i didnt think of that, but like hairy wrote his friend has to charge the bat for over nite use. There is always an alternative.
FollowupID: 771484

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 11:42

Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 11:42
Na mate.Trev&Ness B
I agree Allan you can get some really inconsiderate people but you also come across people who think because they go to bed at 10.00 everybody else should too.........I think its more about being tolerant and accepting if you camp near others there might be a couple of things they do that you dont like and vice versa but it doesnt necessarily make them wrong or in considerate maybe you intolerant?

Cheers
FollowupID: 771485

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 11:47

Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 11:47
Trev..........he was charging his battery at 1.00am? There was no alternative we just had to put up with it..........he went to bed around midnight and the battery went flat and had to start the generator........it wasnt the end of the world........it just woke a couple of people up for a few minutes and kept him alive?
FollowupID: 771486

Follow Up By: Trev&Ness B - Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 11:51

Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 11:51
10pm is a late one for me hairy.
I have nothing against the genset as i said. Tolerance is a wonderful thing aswell. If one person has his genset going all nite( which is what the case was) should everyone else tollerate him?
FollowupID: 771487

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 11:54

Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 11:54
That's OK then Hairy.

However, I am quite tolerant, even to a fault sometimes. However, in the case I referenced, even though we normally try to camp a bit away, we had no alternative in this instance. And it can be hard to be tolerant when your sleep is disturbed.

You are passing judgement on situations where you were not there.... you do not know the circumstances and dispute the account of others. Is that being understanding or tolerant?

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 771488

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 12:17

Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 12:17
I already said I wasnt there and it was an opinion based on how I read it and wasnt corrected so assumed I was reading it right ? Should we not reply to threads we werent part of or have an opinion? It would be a bloody boring forum if that were the case.
I though I was being tollerant.......I dont think I once critisized either party or told them what they were doing was right or wrong........just saying different people have different ideas of acceptable . I am simply saying if you camp near others for what ever reason you need to be tollerant...........
If I wasnt tollerant I would have said something like.....stop your whinging and get over it. People can put there generators anywhere they want a run them for as long as they want.....stuff the oldies who want to go to bed.
But I didnt......because Im a tollerant person and would rather show some consideration to others........even if it put me out a bit. LOL
FollowupID: 771490

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 12:23

Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 12:23
x2 Alan,

I thought there was some sort of unwritten rule that if you pulled into a camping area and a lot of those already there had generators you either put up with it or move on. If a heap of campers are already there and no generators it would be polite to ask those close to where you want to set up and use your genny. And yeah put your genny in your own camp site.
Hairy, if you and your mates want to sit up and talk, play music, rum your generator or whatever maybe have a bit of look around...not all of us intolerant old farts are party animals any more and want to put the jarmies on and hit the cot a bit before 10.00, and I suggest this with the utmost humility.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 771491

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 12:26

Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 12:26
"rum your generator" talk about your Freudian slip...lol
FollowupID: 771492

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 12:31

Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 12:31
Hairy, I'm referring to your response to me where you said......

"I think its more about being tolerant and accepting if you camp near others there might be a couple of things they do that you dont like and vice versa but it doesnt necessarily make them wrong or in considerate maybe you intolerant? "

Sure you can have an opinion, but don't question my tolerance when I have just told you that we had to tolerate his gennie all night when he could have placed it more considerately.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 771493

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 12:33

Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 12:33
LOL.....
Anyway Im off camping in a while......need to get there a bit early so I can help set up the lighting tower, generator, stereo and Kareoke machine....

Ps..... we have also hired two portable toilets and showers for the oldies.

Hahahahha TRUE
FollowupID: 771494

Follow Up By: Trev&Ness B - Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 12:39

Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 12:39
Im only 37. I have 2 young boys who run amock all day so as most parents know an early noddy blimkims is a great thing.
Still waiting for an answer to my question about the genset times if anyone knows.
FollowupID: 771495

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 12:49

Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 12:49
Trev&Ness,

As far as times go I am not sure if there are any hard and fast rules but as an example a station stay we were at recently had a rule that generators could be run between 8.00am and 11.00am and then between 4.00pm and 8.00 pm. The break was so that if any "oldies' wanted a nana nap they could do so without noise.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 771496

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 12:51

Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 12:51
T&N, I don't think there is a universal rule but a number of places, both private and parks, seem to nominate "no gennies after 10pm". Can't recall any that impose a morning time.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 771497

Follow Up By: Trev&Ness B - Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 12:58

Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 12:58
cool thanks, I guess its just up to the person and how they feel at the time. I still dont think i was out of turn telling this bloke to switch of his genset as there was none others run at that time.
have a good long weekend
FollowupID: 771498

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 13:02

Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 13:02
Yes, it's called 'sensitivity'. But like 'common-sense' thats not too common either. lol

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 771499

Follow Up By: River Swaggie - Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 14:49

Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 14:49
Sounds too hard for me...I have a Honda 20i and never use it...I also camp further in the bush to avoid all of the above...

If you camp with Sh!tloads of people you dont know you will always come into conflict with someone...Whether its dogs barking at 4am onwards or the generator...

Goodluck
FollowupID: 771542

Reply By: get outmore - Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 11:53

Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 11:53
if you want to camp with the crowds just accept the fact theres likely to be some people that dont fit within your definition of social acceptability.

otherwise just camp away from them elsewhere
AnswerID: 495870

Reply By: sweetwill - Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 17:17

Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 17:17
Hello Trev@Ness B.
as a single camper I always free camp, not in road side pull ins but if possible a couple of hundred meters of the road, this way its just me no "stinking gen sets" a pet hate of mine, also this way I'm not smelling urine from the last couple of hundred campers that stayed at that roadside pull-in.
AnswerID: 495882

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 18:46

Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 18:46
In my opinion, running a generator all night for a sleep apnoea in inconsiderate - you don't need a generator to run a sleep apnoea machine.

A number of people I camp with a have sleep anoea machines and don't use generators. There's plenty of options for running them off 12V. On occasions, they have had issues and I've leant them a solar panel or 12V-12V battery charger which keeps their spare battery charged when base camped and solves the problem.
AnswerID: 495893

Follow Up By: Jarse - Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 17:40

Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 17:40
I have a CPAP machine, and bought a 12v converter to run it on.

I haven't run the batteries in my CT flat on a single night yet, but if I can't get enough power back into them with the solar, I'll crank the genny up in the afternoon to top the batteries up. No need to run it at night so far :)
FollowupID: 771555

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 17:56

Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 17:56
Good one Jarse.

In the situation that I described (in FollowUp 2 of 21 above) I can understand someone not appreciating the possibilities of running the CPAP from a battery source but cannot comprehend why:
1. He did not use a powered site, or.....
2. Warn me of his gennie before we set up camp next to him, or....
3. Place the gennie away from our camp. (It was possible)

Had I known that my wife could not sleep because of the gennie noise I may well have either woken him up to shift it or done some dastardly deed to the gennie! If pushed enough, I also can be inconsiderate.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 771557

Reply By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 20:23

Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 20:23
Running a gen set day and/or night.. inexeperienced campers, and/or wrong equipment.
AnswerID: 495900

Reply By: nutwood - Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 21:19

Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 21:19
There's some basic logic here. One person using a generator can keep one hundred other campers awake.
Same in suburbia, one loud party....
There may not be any rules but surely basic consideration applies? If we pull into a camping area at 7pm and there's other people camping who've obviously gone to bed, we tip toe about. Equally so, we expect that, in a noisy camp site, when we go to bed at 10pm, others will quieten down.
It's called consideration and it used to be that people went camping to escape the rules and regulations that plague society but they take with them the same attitudes that caused those rules in the first place.
AnswerID: 495904

Reply By: Member - Josh - Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 00:17

Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 00:17
My question Trev is "who was there first?". If they were there first then they have the right to run the gennies when ever they want to, day or night. If you were there first then they should accept you were there first and keep the noise down. My point is, if someone sets up camp and no one else is around and they decide to run a gennie all hours they have done nothing wrong. If you then go and camp near them and expect them to keep the noise down then you are the one being inconciderate. When we travelled we always went by the first in rule. If we were there first then every one else who came played by our rules of noise ect. If we came in after some one else then we played by there rules. Pretty simple reallly and that should keep every one happy. Bet it doesn't happen though.
So Trev, who was there first????
Josh
AnswerID: 495906

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 00:27

Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 00:27
Spot on Josh, same as the people that buy a house under an aircraft landing and takeoff area because it was cheap and then complain about the noise. Different scenario when they build a runway that lines up with your house after you have lived there for a while
FollowupID: 771516

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 07:53

Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 07:53
That is totally illogical Josh.

By your reasoning, both Trev&Ness and myself posted on this thread before you so our "rules" prevail.

A campground is a community area. No-one who was "there first" has any right to unreasonably inconvenience others regardless of their arrival time.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 771520

Follow Up By: Member - Josh - Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 09:16

Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 09:16
Allan, so I go find myself a camp spot by my self with no one else around, so I can run my generator and not annoy any one. Then you come along and camp near me so I have to change just to suit you??? The reason I camped there was cause no one else was there (until you arrived). How is that fair. I did the right thing and camped where I could run my gennie with out annoying any one and you expect I should change because you want to camp near me.
If we pulled into a camp ground and saw genneis set up, we would either ask how often they use them or just go some where else. It's not that hard really.
Your comment about posting on here is silly cause David and Michelle were here first and YES, we do have to abide by their rules.

Josh
FollowupID: 771525

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 09:55

Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 09:55
Josh, a "camp spot" with wide-open expanses is somewhat different to a "camp ground" with limited and close sites.

David and Michelle's rules prevail because they own the site and you must agree to abide by their rules to be able to enter and use it, not simply because "they were here first". Your argument is again illogical.

If you camp in an undefined area away from all others, go ahead with your noise-making, but in a established campground it is necessary to respect the community with all your behaviours.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 771529

Follow Up By: Trev&Ness B - Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 10:03

Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 10:03
there were about 20 other campers set up and no other gensets going at that time. these people turned up at 9pm and set up, then started there genset up. 11pm i had a go at them.
FollowupID: 771531

Reply By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 09:19

Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 09:19
Sensitive subject. From the thread I can see there are already some raw nerves being touched!
Common courteousy has to be the way to go if we all want to enjoy our camping. Obviously with the way people are and our society is made up, there are always going to be elements that don't give a damn and have the highest level of inconsideration that you can imagine. However.....I think that this inconsideration can sometimes go both ways.
Both ways? I hear some of you ask. By this I mean that no matter what the circumstance or geography, there are some campers that freak out and are prepared to go to war at the very sight of a genie. Reactions and objections can sometimes be completely over the top and I've witnessed grown adults stomping around like spoilt children because they feel their space has been breached.
I don't presume to tell others how to act, or react, to genies. I will say how I'd handle the situation and give an instance of situation we were involved in just over a year ago.
We had been to Karijini camping with friends. They were tenting and we had our trailer. We were all set for solar power but we carry a genie as a back up. Our friends had power issues so we had been powering 2 fridges off our set up. The batteries couldn't keep up forever obviously. Anyway this wasn't an issue as everything was working well up to the day we left for Millstream. We took into account our drive and were more than happy that our batteries would get recharged to maximum by the time we got to Millstream.
Unfortunately, and not sure how or when, but our Anderson plug wire had torn out and therefore the batteries had recieved no charge. We got to Millstream around 4pm and the batteries were pretty much flat. It was too late for us to capture any sun. When we arrived there were the elderly couple that were the camp hosts/commandants and two other sets of campers. Once I'd discovered our situation I explained to the hosts what had happened and asked them if I could just check with the other two if I could run a genie for just a couple of hours to give our batteries a bit of life. They were very blunt and borderline rude and said no. So there was one chap from Adelaide, Darren. He fixed our Anderson plug and said just run your car for a bit. This I did, and within 30 seconds the old lady marched over and told me to turn the car off. I obviously complied but wasn't happy. We were at risk of losing all our food stuffs and cutting short our visit to the park. This is where Darren stepped in and he used his power to run our two fridges and joined our batteries up to his solar set up the next day to breath in new life. Without him, we'd have had to leave.
So I know this is a little off the thread but its just a bit of an example where a little bit of compromise and consideration can go a long way. I think we showed that we were trying to do the right thing by being solar powered, but basically we had an `accident of circumstance'. All I wanted to do is ask for a little help from my fellow campers and gauge reaction. If everyone had said no, then I'd have just accepted it then probably have had to leave. I feel though, that given the circumstance, those other campers, would have granted permission and just wanted to help us out. I know for a fact that had the roles been reversed I would have accomodated their request. I'd have hated to see someones trip ruined by this inflexibility because of a little noise.
It shows that there are times when a genie maybe needed and sometimes all that is required is good communication and a little appreciation of the situation by all parites.

A post script to this story is that these two commandants that had their van about 80metres away from our set up, came by at just before 9pm and told us that `we may like to think about going to bed !!!!' UNBELIEVEABLE. All we were doing was sitting, as is our right, in mild conversation.........
AnswerID: 495920

Follow Up By: Trev&Ness B - Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 09:58

Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 09:58
Id be complaining to the dec about those camp hosts. Unbelievable behavour.
FollowupID: 771530

Follow Up By: Member - Rowdy6032 (WA) - Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 15:26

Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 15:26
Hi

You don't say what part of Millstream you were camping at.

The below link may be of some assistance to people intending to use DEC camping areas.

It lists generator allowed areas and operating times.

http://www.dec.wa.gov.au/content/view/23/1068/

Regards

FollowupID: 771546

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 15:38

Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 15:38
We camped at Millstream a couple of years ago. We didn't have a genny at that time so we chose Crossing Pool which was a "no generator" camping area. There was one or two other camp sites where generators were allowed. Obviously the camp hosts involved in this incidence may need to brush up on there people skills. It sounds as if you guys chose the non confrontational approach. These two need a little more tact in their act as they just might try their high handed approach with campers that are not so placid.

FollowupID: 771548

Follow Up By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 20:58

Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 20:58
Hi Trev & Ness. We fully intended to write to DEC upon our return home, but as you probably know the fires of anger had subsided by then and it seemed a little fruitless, so we never followed it up. I felt that they were a little ignorant to what their role should be. Help and support being the bit they had missed.

Hi Rowdy. Fully hear where you are coming from. All I can say is that we were anticipating running on solar (hence my problem with the hosts), and we'd landed at Crossing Pool before we knew our issues. We were aware that it was a non genie area but it was kind of an illustration that I was using, to explain as to why some people have to unfortunately use a genie. As a rule we don't use ours and it in fact has only been used once. I am of the same mind as one of the other postings in this thread. At camping venues there are sets of rules/guidelines and before you camp there, you either chose to abide by them, or move on. I think what I was aiming at here, was the fact there was hardly anyone there, and just by being communicating with ones neighbours, bad feeling and disputes could be avoided.

Cheers for the input Pop2..... again can only underline we always try to think of others but also weren't afraid to ask for a hand
FollowupID: 771575

Reply By: Member - john y - Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 10:00

Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 10:00
A little commonsense can always help to diffuse this problem .If generator users display a sign at the front of their campsite saying"GENERATOR USED HERE" it tends to help others decide where to camp. Perhaps generator resellers could include such a sign in their packages?
AnswerID: 495928

Follow Up By: Trev&Ness B - Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 10:09

Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 10:09
Sounds like most people who camp are openminded, and considerate. Looks like this one couple were not so. Maybe they should be looking into forums like this to get the jist of things before they start.
thanks everyone for your relpies and opinions, if everyone pays a little attention to what is going on around them when they arrive most problems can be solved before you set up.
FollowupID: 771532

Reply By: garrycol - Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 12:13

Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 12:13
Common sense, consideration and courtesy apply but if all else fails noise abatement rules applied by either the camping ground owner or if elsewhere the rules of the local council apply. The later is normally something like 7am to 10pm on weekdays make as much noise as you want and on weekends something like 9am to 7pm apply. Within these times a person has every right to make noise including gennies but I hope common sense applies. If you want to go to bed before these times and a genny is running - really your issue not the gennie owner - same rules apply at your home in suburbia - no different elsewhere.

However it is the boozie yahoos rather than gennies that worry me - inconsiderate yahoos are far more prevalent than inconsiderate gennie owners.

Garry
AnswerID: 495934

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 21:56

Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 21:56
They most probally get drunk to be able to sleep through the NOISY generators hahahahhaha
FollowupID: 771582

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Wednesday, Oct 03, 2012 at 01:53

Wednesday, Oct 03, 2012 at 01:53
Hi Trev & Ness,

By now you are probably aware that generator use in a camping area is one hot topic and there will be an even spread of "for and against" answers.

Our view on generator use in the great goldfish bowl of life is this ..............
REGARDLESS of the need in the end ............ some people WILL run their generator ALL night.

As indicated, some people NEED to run a CPAP machine all night, although I would not trust my life to a machine that may run out of fuel, cease to start, cease to run continuosly or be turned off by an irate fellow (TIC) camper. One of our club members used a CPAP and made sure that there was sufficient power to run the machine all night and the generator (1KVA Honda) was only employed to top up the batteries and was usually only run 500 metres away from where we were camped.

We agree that some people have a "so what" attitude to generator use, like one feral who pulled up in a camp-site in a very well fitted out bus, rolled the 6.5 KVA gen set out next to the bus and then went to bed. We didn't realise that there were no opening windows on the bus and while we suspect the generator was employed to keep the interior of the bus cool, it may have been required to run a CPAP. Although they did leave early in the morning and did not wave or say good bye.

It would appear that there are more people out and about who have a "I don't care about you - it's all about me" atitude and also have little regard for any courtesy.

As a final to this, we were out on the Holland Track a number of years ago and camped in the (old) camp areas around the edge of the Victoria rock. We were getting ready for the evening when a couple of "good old boys" turned up to camp for the night. Eureka Stockade flag off one antenna and the Australian flag off the other on the 75 series ute. Torn off sleeves and lots of tats completed the "don't mess with us look". We chatted with them in passing and the boys asked what time generators should be shut down as they did not want to annoy anyone. At that point in time, we thought that nine pm was pretty good, wished them a good night and went our own ways. While we were on Victoria Rock later in the evening and basking in the light glow from their camp-site.......... at ten to nine ................ it all went dark.

While they may have appeared to be a "little" rough around the edges, we were happy to have them camped near us and they were polite and courteous.

For the moment it is enough of my ramble and I am not trying to force my view on others, although I'm sure there is a good reason that we seek out our own camping areas so we can enjoy our time in the bush.

If we wanted to be a metre away from noisy, drunk, objectionable and "me" people....

we would stay at home and invite our children over for dinner............. at least they would head home at the end of dinner when there where chores to be done lol.

Regards,
Wayne & Sally.

AnswerID: 496083

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Oct 03, 2012 at 13:25

Wednesday, Oct 03, 2012 at 13:25
Generators?? Before I got the TPI (dont ask if you dont know) I went through some very dark times and breakdowns and the worst thing that I remember were generators chuffing along 24/7. So much for quiet camping to sooth the soul. No 4wd then so we were stuck to 2WD camping and van areas.

We stay as far away from generators and noise as we can. If we drive into a camp spot and there are caravans and/or generators there we just do a "U" turn and go elsewhere. We have found that where there are generators and caravans there is noise. When we had a van we could run the fridge on gas. That's quiet. We didn't take the TV even though one was a 12V version. We did take the model trains and slot cars one christmas for the boys (and Dad). No noise there.

Now we run two fridges in the car off three batteries and lights out early. Quiet and do not bother anyone. I guess that if I ever need it we could run a CPAP machine as well off the batteries.

In my opinion, as I am freely allowed to have, well so far I am, if you really need the TV, internet, huge 240V fridge and freezer, microwave and damned airconditioner and all that then you should either stay at a powered site or at home. And I am free to go elsewhere. Ahhh the peace and solitude of the deserts. Another good reason to travel solo.

Phil (apologies to offended mates if any)
AnswerID: 496093

Sponsored Links