gu suspension

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 10:44
ThreadID: 9833 Views:1693 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Good day all,fitted ome suspension new coils and nitrocharger shocks august 2003 15000k ago,wanted 2 inch lift.when fitted had 2-3 inch,on first trip sept 2003 shocks faded rapidly on corrogations and coils particually rears settled back close to original heights.Have been back to supplier he confirmed sagging but basically suggests pumping up the air bags in rear to compensate.

I dont feel this suspension has lived up to my expectations eg 2 inch lift.BTW the heights measured with no passengers and rear drawers removed.

Any one else with experiences with similar setup????
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 10:49

Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 10:49
If you had a 2inch lift and its sagged back to nothing, tell them to replace it. Stuff 'patching' it up by pumping up airbags..

You say measured with no rear draws etc. Are they heavy duty kit, meant for the extra weight? That could be your problem, if they were just 'normal' duty, instead of 'heavy' duty, then thats why they died.
AnswerID: 43417

Reply By: Rowler - Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 10:50

Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 10:50
were the springs heavy duty ?

I have fitted ome heavy duty coils in the rear & medium duty in the front with nitro shocks, 50mm lift ended up being 95mm in the rear because of original spring sag all ok so far! I will be loading it up soon & will keep an eye on them.

Cheers Rowler (dave)
AnswerID: 43418

Follow Up By: stillthinkinaboutit - Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 11:52

Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 11:52
My figures are similar to Rowler, around 75mm in front and 85 - 95mm in the rear with the OME heavy duty springs. The original springs had sagged a fair bit, particularly drivers side rear, probably due to weight of spare wheel, subtank and driver on this side. The ARB guy suggested the heavy duty springs because I have rear draws and dual battery fitted and the vehicle is used a fair bit offroad, advised against the extra heavy duty ones for my use. By the way the OME Heavy Duty springs actually feel much better than the original Nissan springs, much smoother on rutted roads and corrugations.
They only drop by 15mm with the Jayco Camper on, ball weight of 145kg.
Don't be put off by the Heavy duty rating, they feel nice to drive with. Vehicle seems to sit quite level now, measuring 820mm from under edge of guard to lower edge of rim. Time will tell if they stay this way but so far I am very happy with them.

Regards, Mark
FollowupID: 305718

Follow Up By: stillthinkinaboutit - Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 11:56

Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 11:56
Should have mentioned that the vehicle is a Patrol GU ST 4500 on 16" rims.
FollowupID: 305719

Reply By: Dmitri - Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 18:47

Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 18:47
Hi Brian,

I've got the same problem as yours (GU and OME suspension -heavy in the rear and medium in the front). Besides I've got roller drawers, fridge and roof rack.
if loaded the car sits significanly back. Went to ARB - they weighted it up and said they the total weight is over GVM (without passengers and fuel) - can't do anything.
The options is to go for a extra heavy springs (which is not very nice option if you drive the unloaded car on road) or just get rid of weight. Plus driving the car which is over GVM is illegal (I guess every 4wd you meet on the road is illegal in this case :) )

Cheers,
Dmitri.

AnswerID: 43440

Follow Up By: Roachie - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 22:47

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 22:47
G'day again,
I've had the same issue. Bought my GU 4.2T/D new in 2000 and immediately took it to ARB shop in Cooma for OME 2" springs, Koni shocks, ARB steel bull bar, steel full length roof rack (with mess floor), snorkel, dual battery. Have since also added Opposite Lock heavy duty steel rear bar with dual wheel carrier, Dept Of Interior roller draw (one side only), ARB fridge, Long Ranger Tank etc. Bloody thing weighs 3050kg before I sit in it let alone the missus and 3 kids, plus gear and Ultimate Camper. We did a trip to Cape York in July 2002 and on the way back, I called in at Binskins, Wauchope. Told Glen I had a sggy rear end (so has the truck!!) and he put me onto Lovells. We put 4" on front and 5" at rear; with no other modifications...not even caster bushes. I also got them to slot back in the Polyairs I'd already had in the OME's. I was living at Yass at that time and gave the old springs to a mate with a 3.0l GU. He put them with OE shocks and they made his machine sit noticeably higher. I'm still running the original Konis, but they are shot and I'm going to go for Tough Dogs next...not sure whether to get the real big RALPHs or the new Heavy Duty, Big Bore adjustable; both cost around $260- each.
I couldn't be happier than with the Lovells. I've since taken off both sway bars and put a 4-Way Return To Centre steering damper on too. I was a bit sus about taking the sway bars off, but Glen Binskin showed me his own family wagon, which his wife drove mostly, and it had them off too, with no ill-effects....just better wheel articulation. I will admit that there is more body roll when going around round-abouts etc, but nothing disconcerting at all.
Cheers,
Roachie
FollowupID: 305830

Follow Up By: ROLANDE - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 22:59

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 22:59
Roachie,
Unless something has changed the KONI's should be adjustable, just remove top a give a few turns to firm up again. If really shot, can be rebuilt at much less cost. Call KONI dealer to check.
FollowupID: 305990

Follow Up By: Roachie - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 09:30

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 09:30
Thanks Rolande,
I know the Koni's are adjustable, but haven't had a go at doing that yet. The facts are that they've been on the truck since new (115,000klm), are covered in oil residue and have had a hard life with trips to Cape York and through the centre etc. The idea of sending them away for an overhaul is not real practical as I live in country SA, need my truck everyday and gave my Nissan OE shocks to a mate ages ago so have nothing else to replace them whilst the Koni people work their magic with a rebuild. Everything has a use by date I guess.
Cheers,
Roachie
FollowupID: 306017

Sponsored Links