diff windup

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 04, 2012 at 20:14
ThreadID: 98383 Views:2848 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I am new to 4x4 caper!! With my free wheel hubs in the free position and just using the h4 and l4 gears can I still get windup. I have a 1993 Triton with limited slip rear diff.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Thursday, Oct 04, 2012 at 20:39

Thursday, Oct 04, 2012 at 20:39
Gday
No

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 496157

Follow Up By: Zambezi - Friday, Oct 05, 2012 at 00:43

Friday, Oct 05, 2012 at 00:43
Spike J. As MUZBRY stated the answer is NO . All you are doing is engaging the transfer gearbox when you shift from two wheel drive into 4x4 HI or LO. As long as the front hubs are not locked, then no wind is at all possible. I often use Lo range for getting up my very steep driveway in reverse. That way I`m not working the clutch and can reverse at idle engine speed, plus accurately place my vehicle where I want it. I only lock the front hubs on muddy roads or when actually off road, but never drive your vehicle on dry bitumen roads with the front hubs engaged, as in city driving, as that's when transmission wind up can happen. That can be a costly mistake. Happy travels.
FollowupID: 771808

Follow Up By: Grumblebum and the Dragon - Friday, Oct 05, 2012 at 08:22

Friday, Oct 05, 2012 at 08:22
I agree. I often engage low 4WD without the hubs engaged - just using the extra gearing to help tow the van over very steep hills

John

FollowupID: 771821

Reply By: Joe G2 - Friday, Oct 05, 2012 at 06:31

Friday, Oct 05, 2012 at 06:31
Hi Zamebezi, I may be wrong on your comment about never have your hubs locked on the black top, as it wasn't that long ago free wheeling hubs were an accessory and a lot of 4x4's did many miles on the tar without them. Does it only cause a problem if 4x4 is engaged?
We did thousands and thousands of miles catching buffalo and bulls in FJ 40's on hard ground in high range 4x4 and don't remember any issues other than pig holes, buffalo wallows,breakaways, hidden rocks and logs (anyway thats another story).
Will be interested in thoughts of the knowledgeable ones.

Cheers
AnswerID: 496164

Follow Up By: Cravenhaven - Friday, Oct 05, 2012 at 09:04

Friday, Oct 05, 2012 at 09:04
Diff windup is happens when all 4 wheels (or more correctly 2 axles) are locked together and turn at different rates. It will only happen on hard surfaces such as a sealed road when all wheels are in driven mode.
If on a slippery surface such as sand, gravel, dust... then the wheels will slip enough to allow the transmission to relieve the stress of differences in rotation between the axles.
So having the front hubs unlocked OR running in 2WD will mean that the front wheels are not rotationally connected to the rear wheels hence no windup is possible.
cravenhaven

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 771823

Follow Up By: ant_schomacker - Friday, Oct 05, 2012 at 12:51

Friday, Oct 05, 2012 at 12:51
I believe that even the current model Land Cruisers actually advise that you travel a certain number of kilometres each month with the hubs locked, but in 2WD to aid in lubrication etc of the diff.

On both of our work cars (Troopy) the hubs are always locked, as such if required it's just a matter of moving the TC lever to get 4WD, and we've never had an issue on bitumen.

Ant
FollowupID: 771831

Follow Up By: Charlie B2 - Friday, Oct 05, 2012 at 13:25

Friday, Oct 05, 2012 at 13:25
Hi all,

Wind-up will only be an issue if the front hubs are locked AND H4 or L4 is selected through the transfer case AND you're driving on a hard, non-slip surface, such as dry bitumen. Perhaps Joe's situation where he was catching buffalo and bulls with FJ40's in H4 over rough terrain would provide enough slip to overcome any tendency for transmission wind-up - or maybe the old girls were so worn that no-one noticed anyway. :-) I'm pretty sure a really wet and slippery bitumen, or snow covered, road would be fine with everything locked up.

In reality, all a full-time 4WD vehicle is, is an free-wheeling front hub 4WD with the hubs locked and they don't suffer unduly from driving on bitumen every day - until you lock the centre diff, then it's an entirely different story.

Regards,

Charlie
FollowupID: 771833

Follow Up By: Zambezi - Friday, Oct 05, 2012 at 13:45

Friday, Oct 05, 2012 at 13:45
Joe G2. My drivers manual states that the front hubs should never be locked and the vehicle driven in four wheel drive mode on a biutmen road.In my 50 years driving all makes and models of 4x4s, have experienced diff wind up once, and stopped immediately. Unlocked the front hubs and voila no more diff wind up. Some 4x4s advocate that you engage four wheel drive ( preferably on a gravel road ) just to lube the front diff bearings etc. If no gravel road available, and you only have bitumen, then providing you there is a long straight section ( where there are no turns ) will not harm the transmission - I know as I have done it in Perth on some freeways which are straight as an arrow .
FollowupID: 771835

Follow Up By: Joe G2 - Friday, Oct 05, 2012 at 19:12

Friday, Oct 05, 2012 at 19:12
Hi Charlie,
This discussion has brought back some old memories.
I was lucky enough to work for someone who would buy brand new FJ 40's every year when they still made them and we would strip them down to put special bar work on them, some had hydraulic bionic arms fitted. We would do the catching season in them and pull the bar work off put the roofs and doors back on then send them to a panel shop for a touch up and then trade them in on new ones with Bridge Autos the Toyota dealer in Darwin. After 1984 we had to look for good second hand ones.Those were the days.

Joe
FollowupID: 771844

Reply By: Member - nick b - Friday, Oct 05, 2012 at 20:33

Friday, Oct 05, 2012 at 20:33
spike : why do you ask ? what is the reason for the question ?

wind up is usually from different size tyres , what are you thinking about .
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 496204

Sponsored Links