ps forgot to ask
what vehicles can it be used on
cheers
AnswerID: 496228

Follow Up By: drowned_rat - Saturday, Oct 06, 2012 at 20:46

Saturday, Oct 06, 2012 at 20:46
ps forgot to ask
what vehicles can it be used on

Depends on the year and the market the vehicle was manufactured for.
USA declared that all vehicles would have a standard access connector for this around 1996 it was called OBD 1, then came OBD2 which is a newer variant.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics

I have a 2004 Diesel Landcruiser and it still has the OBD1 interface and is not compatible with the newer units.

Most vehicles are OBD2 compatible by 2007.

If you get an engine warning light on your dash it is good to know what is causing it. If, for example it is a temperature related issue, you may not want to drive the vehicle. In my case with the wife's car, it told me that cylinder Number 4 was misfiring occasionally - I was able to work out that it wasn't the spark plug or coil before the vehicle went in for a service. The problem turned out to be a blocked fuel injector.

FollowupID: 771898

Reply By: Ross M - Saturday, Oct 06, 2012 at 14:25

Saturday, Oct 06, 2012 at 14:25
MAZCAN

OBD means OnBoard Diagnostic and is accessed through the OBD port on your vehicle if it is one of the modern electronic marvels.

Since different countries don't want to talk to others and makers also do this, there becomes the Microsoft, V Linux V, IBM type problems.

The Yanks have some OBD but isn't necessarily the same as Orstrayan OBD protocol, and Europe has it's variation too, hence E OBD.

Makers of OBD readers try to encompass all in an effort to sell and be ahead of other OBD makers.

These things tell you fault codes and engine temp, auto oil temp, boost level, intake air temp and many other parameters of engine operation.
Of course you have to either learn what they mean or already have some idea.

Man people have them and look at the info but don't know what it is telling them, a bit like a rat with a gold tooth, got one, looks good, but may not necessarily be of use.

Ross M
AnswerID: 496230

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Sunday, Oct 07, 2012 at 09:04

Sunday, Oct 07, 2012 at 09:04
"Many people have them and look at the info but don't know what it is telling them, a bit like a rat with a gold tooth, got one, looks good, but may not necessarily be of use."

Have to agree with you on that one Ross.... the information they give you is very vague and limited but so many people with them think it will point them directly to the problem.

We have three industry leading scan tools that we use and more times than not we have to seek further information from technical databases that we subscribe to.

We get more information out of reading raw data then from fault codes.

We also use a 4 channel scope (cro) more and more to diagnose problems.

The big issue we have is a customer who is a bit of a diy'er with limited knowledge buys one of eBay and they get a fault code and they clear it..... then bring it to use to get fixed.... we have to start from scratch and try and find the cause costing them more money.

And we are seeing an increased number of customers who are doing there own diagnostics and replacing parts they think could be faulty only to find out it's a simple earth or sensor issue...... had one customer who replaced $1800 worth of non returnable parts only to be told by use it was a corroded pin in a plug causing high resistance..... replaced $12 plug and charged 1 hours labour to fix it for him.

What fault codes and how they appear can lead to a better, quicker diagnosis.

FollowupID: 771922

Reply By: InsaneSniper - Saturday, Oct 06, 2012 at 18:06

Saturday, Oct 06, 2012 at 18:06
Hi guys,

If you have an 'android' mobile, you can add an application called Torque, which connects to almost any of the OBD readers found on ebay for as little as $15 delivered.

Ebay OBD2 Bluetooth Reader
Approx $15-$20

Then add Torque app from the Android App Store/Google Play Market for $4.85
Torque App for Android

For under $20-$25, you have a FULL featured OBD computer display/reader in your car. I find mine very worthy of a purchase.

I set my main screen up in Torque, to show the following
*OBD Speed
*GPS Speed
*Fuel Consumption (Trip) in Litres
*Fuel Consumption (Trip) in Cost
*Fuel Consumption Litres Per 100kms (Live)
*Fuel Consumption Litres Per 100kms (Average)
*Fuel Remaining
*Kms Remaining
*Voltage
*Oil Temperature
*Transmission Temperature
...... its endless of what you can add to the screen.

Any questions, just ask, happy to help.

Thanks

RCA
AnswerID: 496238

Follow Up By: Geoff in SA - Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 11:25

Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 11:25
Likes Insanes reply best

Have a F250 and use the same setup
Simply Great

regards

Geoff
FollowupID: 771972

Reply By: Legendts - Saturday, Oct 06, 2012 at 19:58

Saturday, Oct 06, 2012 at 19:58
If you are looking for and want it mounted in your car then the Scangauge is hard to beat. It can also be swapped between cars easily. Providing you have access to your particular cars fault codes it can be used for that and if you are stuck where your car won't start you can clear them, but this should be done with caution of course. You can also check and monitor a multitude of functions similar and more that the android app can. I like it mainly because I can set it up and leave it in the car. You can monitor up to four different functions at the same time without having to flick between screens.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
AnswerID: 496242

Reply By: member - mazcan - Saturday, Oct 06, 2012 at 23:36

Saturday, Oct 06, 2012 at 23:36
hi to you guys
im very gratefull for the clear explanations from all
i went on google today and basicly decided that obd was on board diagnostics but was then unsure what the letter e represented so thanks as i have a vw golf 2005 series v
i guess the eobd would suit it
repco are advertising a hot deal on the
launch obd /eobd creadervi for $199 but i found serveral on google websites that were far cheaper same brand etc
ebay.com.au and www.dhgate.com their prices make a joke of repco's
so called special
thanks again and cheers
barry
AnswerID: 496249

Follow Up By: Legendts - Sunday, Oct 07, 2012 at 12:17

Sunday, Oct 07, 2012 at 12:17
Barry, I paid $179 for my Scangauge 2 from Wooders (www.wooders.com.au) excellent company to deal with. They also do software upgrades if and when they come out to give extra features. I have done this once at a cost of $50. Only did it to get auto temp for my 200 series which was not available when I originally purchased it.
Cheers
Jeff
FollowupID: 771928

Sponsored Links